Specialized carbon road crank impossible to install?!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

Got a Specialized Carbon road crankset (the one marked "FACT Specialized") for my wifes Orbea Orca Dama. I pressed in the BB30 bearings, grabbed the crankset and voila, no way to get the crank to engage the hirst joint without torquing it down to the point where the crank only moves with significant amount of force. If I torque it to the point where you feel some bearing drag, but it still moves freely, then the hirst joint is not completely "butted up" so you feel the crank going "click clack". What the heck am I doing wrong? This is driving my nuts!
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lasrever

by lasrever

the specialized o.s.b.b. is slightly wider than the standard bb30 - they are incompatible, sorry.
thanks,
nick

audiojan

by audiojan

lasrever wrote:the specialized o.s.b.b. is slightly wider than the standard bb30 - they are incompatible, sorry.

Are you sure about that? Specialized themselves say it's a standard BB30 and will fit any BB30/PF30 frame... BB30 and OSBB are both 68mm wide.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Sounds like your missing the wave washer off the non drive side? The crank is BB30 compatible, I've had a few fitted to my Cannondale's over the years.
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

theremery

by theremery

It's stiff not loose?....then it's not the wave washer.
It's not lining up to allow the Hirst joint to seat properly without binding?.....sounds like a fractionally mis-aligned bearing to me. They can be out by the merest fractions of degrees and run badly.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

grover

by grover

The road cranks definitely fit standard PF30/BB30 frames. It is the mtb cranks that use a wider shell. Just confirm that your Orca bottom bracket shell is 68mm wide. That is what the Specialized cranks are designed to fit.

The next step would be to have a look at the exploded view or installation instructions. Make sure you've got the bearing covers and wavy washer in the correct positions. I recall there is a flat and a curved bearing cover so that may be the difference, or you may have the wavy washer on the wrong side of the bearing cover.

frankmx

by frankmx

If you got the crank with the bearing preload ring on the left you need to remove the part with the little screws but leave the conical ring on the axle this should give you just the right amount of preload if your bearings are seated properly, for me that was still a little bit to tight so i sandend down the spacer on the right side very slightly and the preload is perfect now.

audiojan

by audiojan

Thanks everyone. The crank does have "the part with the little screws" but also the wave washer n the NDS. I tried installing it without the wave washer, but that didn't help much. I'm going to remove the bearings and re-press them (and yes, using a BB press). Hopefully, it's that simple.

virenque

by virenque

audiojan wrote:Thanks everyone. The crank does have "the part with the little screws" but also the wave washer n the NDS. I tried installing it without the wave washer, but that didn't help much. I'm going to remove the bearings and re-press them (and yes, using a BB press). Hopefully, it's that simple.

It's either the wave washer or the preload washer with the 3 small set screws on the NDS, you are not suppose to use both.

On the DS, there should only be a bearing shield

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

instructions are here: http://service.specialized.com/collateral/ownersguide/new/assets/pdf/IG0338_revC.pdf

There should not even be a wave washer supplied with the adjustment ring, so that's a little puzzling.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

audiojan

by audiojan

The wave washer is the first generation (page 3 of the instructions), but you're right, the first generation didn't have the adjustment ring (which I do have)... so I guess I have a Gen 1.5. :wink:

Haven't had a chance to re-press the bearings, but I'm hoping it's that simple.

Sykes

by Sykes

Is this the first crank you've installed on the frame? If not how did the first crank rotate/install?

As theremery said, sounds like the BB cups are not quite aligned.

audiojan

by audiojan

First on this frame yes. Although it's by far not my first BB installation (have bikes with BSA, ITA, PF30, BB30; installed all myself without any issues).

Sykes

by Sykes

audiojan wrote:First on this frame yes. Although it's by far not my first BB installation (have bikes with BSA, ITA, PF30, BB30; installed all myself without any issues).

Then sounds like a misaligned BB cup, although the alignment issue could be with the bearings, but that is doubtful. It's a frame warranty issue. I would not let a shop try to reface/chase it. From what I have read that can only lead to more issues with poor fitting. Ask for a new frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Ha ha ha, good luck trying to get the OK for a new frame from Orbea HQ in Spain even if your local distributor agrees that it is a warrantable problem!