La Perla Negra - FM015

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Velofreak

by Velofreak

Hello to all the bike freaks in this world. I have some pics of my updated project. The idea was basically to build a stealth bike with no logos, generic components, light weight and low prices. Trying to get the best relation between price/performance and also a simple look. It rides quite well, although still trying to get a perfect biomechanical fit, but so far so good. Shimano 105 was chosen for price, aesthetics and reliability. Alloy clinchers is a must. The main "tuning" details I've made are these: fizik gel pads under the tape, heat shrinked rubber prottectors for the alligator cable housings (not in the photos though), Raceware Direct garmin mount, X-crossed shifting cables, stem logos removed with acetone, token black BB, vinyl protectors in crankarms and chainstay, and sealed seatpost tube with foam. Nothing fancy apart from this. Check the part list if you want to know more. Hope you like it. Any tips and comments to improve it would be welcome.

Last edited by Velofreak on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

looks nice, how'd you like the frame? Those thin stays aid comfort? Only thing I would try and do ( if you're going all black) is get the rails on the saddle black , either sprayed or coated somehow. They just seem to clash with the all black. Or the obvious answer as it's WW get the carbon railed version antares! Derailleur cage black somehow too! Black bolts here and there? Just being hypercritical. Take no notice! Just jealous of a stealth build....maybe a NEGRA stealth logo?! EDIT.... I have re read, you said no logos, ignore me.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Build list, weights. :smartass:

... and get rid of that snow, then we're talking. :lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

LeePaton

by LeePaton

Reminds me of Liggeros bike, I loved that. I love yours.

Velofreak

by Velofreak

prendrefeu wrote:Build list, weights. :smartass:

... and get rid of that snow, then we're talking. :lol:

List is now included. I had some problems to connect, took a while to upload it.

MichielCX

by MichielCX

Very cool ride. Nice and stealthy :)

kaaos

by kaaos

perfect background for shooting black bike

Guerdi

by Guerdi

I like it alot. And very impressive weight for a 105-equipped bicycle.

Velofreak

by Velofreak

Monkeyboy3333 wrote:looks nice, how'd you like the frame? Those thin stays aid comfort? Only thing I would try and do ( if you're going all black) is get the rails on the saddle black , either sprayed or coated somehow. They just seem to clash with the all black. Or the obvious answer as it's WW get the carbon railed version antares! Derailleur cage black somehow too! Black bolts here and there? Just being hypercritical. Take no notice! Just jealous of a stealth build....maybe a NEGRA stealth logo?! EDIT.... I have re read, you said no logos, ignore me.

To be honest, I can't tell if the comfort comes from the stays or from the light spokes and very light rear wheel. About that real wheel, triple crossing in both sides of the wheel was not a perfect idea. I think radial lacing on the non-drive side and crossings on the drive side is a better choice, as right now the tension is too different. I want to change spokes on the non-drive side soon. Wheel will be stiffer, and a tiny bit lighter and will look cooler. Frame has superb finish, although right now i would have chosen the FM029, which is a bit lighter, has a more compact geometry, better sizing and internal cable routing.

I also want to change the bolts that hold together the butterflies of the playspeed pedals, i have to look for a place to get them. Also the bolts that hold the spindles can be switched to aluminium. Groupset will be eventually changed by something lighter, perhaps sram, but that's not gonna come soon. I have to first waste this groupset. Dura-ace cassette may come soon though. Alligator shift housing is not working perfectly yet. Right now i´m using low quality cables of 1.2mm. Maybe switching to sram 1.1mm cables will solve this issue easily.

Geometry is a bit too racy for me I think. I cutted the fork too low, I carry now too much weight on my hands, I may buy a new fork and cut it longer. Also waiting for specialized BG blue innersole. With these two things the fitting will be at 99% perfect.

Liggero

by Liggero

Very cool bike dude. Seems to have a decent price/weight ratio.
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

Update, from toronto cycles, 27g less...

Happy Trails !!!

nevermindthebikeshop
Shop Owner

by nevermindthebikeshop

Very nice indeed! Definitely going for the ultremos on mine.
Never Mind The Bike Shops !
Bike parts @ ebay prices, Cytech qualified cycle maintenance, wheel & bike builds @ great rates when & where you want in Greater Manchester - 10am–11pm - 7 days - 07940859672 - fixmybike@nevermindthebikeshops.com

Liggero

by Liggero

I would not recommend the ultremos. They have a great rolling and grip, but they let the tube scape sometimes and they get cuts too easily. Also 25 are better overall.

I would get a michelin pro4 service course next, 25mm wide... ;-)
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

Updated images soon!!!
Happy Trails !!!

morrison

by morrison

Muy bonita la bici Manuel ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com