New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53x12

by 53x12

Any other guys have issues finding a shop with Vectors in stock? I'm being told they'll have some around middle part of September.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

claus

by claus

[quote="53x12"]Any other guys have issues finding a shop with Vectors in stock?[/quote]

No LBS has it around here. But... you can buy it cheaper online:
http://www.pushys.com.au/garmin-vector-powerpedal.html

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

ghisallo2003 wrote:New slimlined P2M looks attractive if temperature issues resolved

The temperature issue has been resolved since they updated the hardware about a year ago.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

ghisallo2003 wrote:Any SRM updates for this year?

PC8!

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Is that for sure yet? Any info?

KWalker

by KWalker

Really expensive and most likely the only advantage it offers is its faster data packet recording rate and lack of Garmin's firmware problems. Not holding my breath too much.

P2M solved that problem actually over 18 months ago. It only affected a few first gen units, but has since been solved. It remains the only powermeter that correctly reports power with non-round ring and is more accurately calibrated than SRM. That's not to say that SRMs are not reliable or consistent, but that you will get truly accurate power from the P2M.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

djconnel

by djconnel

Not just round versus eccentric, but also in low-inertial situations, like climbing steep grades, the P2Max should do better.

I would like to do the experiment, P2Max, Vector, and Powertap, riding both legs, riding left leg, riding right leg, riding in walking shoes (versus cleats), and finally on a trainer with high resistance, where the Powertap should be consistent in all of these cases I would think, while the others would be prone to difficulties.

djconnel

by djconnel

I was just riding with a Google employee who managed to find some Vectors in San Luis Obispo. He said his balance was 55R-45L, but actually shoots up to 65R-35L when he rides hard. He's a fairly new rider, so I told him I thought he'd likely balance out as he gets more experience and fitness. He replied Garmin was specific you shouldn't try to shoot for 50-50 balance, but 65-35 seems rather extreme: even if you don't try for 50-50, with more experience I'd think one would naturally drift there, based on simple economy.

I thought this is interesting because most of the numbers we've seen have been from experienced racers.

He installed it with a torque wrench and went through the standard installation procedure: he was impressed with how the head unit software helped with that.

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

Tillquist

by Tillquist

Big picture 8)
See all my bike h e r e

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

New USB charging chassis for the power meter? Any other versions?

LionelB

by LionelB

I guess the PC8 is now also a GPS.

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

Tillquist wrote:Big picture 8)

Big Picture in purple 8) (Well, apart from it being a PC7)

It does indeed have gps, and wiffy, and bluetooth

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/srm-pc8-preview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by DrGalactus on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

metanoize

by metanoize

If SRM would beautify and make the PC8 a bit consumer friendly and package it sans power features they could have a Garmin killer on their hands.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Why would they water down their product? Which, when you read what DC has written, they seem more than happy with its boutique image and price point?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com