Shimano 6800 vs 9000?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ms6073

by ms6073

Tinea Pedis wrote:
OwenJames wrote:did you use the 9000 specific ferrulles at the shifters ?

Of course.
Like this?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Since I started this thread I have been looking around at pricing. I think that is one important aspect, at least for me. More money left in the pocket is better. I don't mind spending more money for better bike parts, food, clothing, cars...etc. as long as the extra you are paying is actually going towards something of quality and not just fluff that something cheaper could provide.

I have been seeing 6800 sell for ~$800 depending where you look (Merlin Cycles, eBay) and have found 9000 going for ~$1600 at a few places (Merlin Cycles and Planet Cyclery). Yes DA 9000 is more bling than 6800, just not sure it is worth an extra $800 at the moment. Maybe it is for some. This isn't going on my primary bike, and most likely will only see 1/3 to 1/4 of my yearly miles as I switch between my bikes. As a result, if I keep the kit for 4-5 years, I an upgrade to the next greatest kit from Shimano at that time. The other issue is weight. 250g is a lot of weight, just not sure if I am willing to compromise that added weight or not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

ms6073, yes.

14 boys on 9000, every one has had the issue (with varying lengths of time on the cables before it happens, so it's not a "happens after xxx amount of kms").

Will be interesting to see how the 6800 and their cables hold up.

53x12

by 53x12

TP: Varying lengths? Mind to give the range of time? Is it as short as a few weeks?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

For one rider it was. However that was after he changed the inner and not the outer. I also don't know if he followed the above ferrulles (so that doesn't quite help working out the issue).

Our wrenches are looking in to it, as last thing we need is for it to happen in a race (like it did with me).

OwenJames

by OwenJames

ms6073 wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:
OwenJames wrote:did you use the 9000 specific ferrulles at the shifters ?

Of course.
Like this?

Yeah, obviously I installed it correctly. If I didn't install it correctly, I would hardly be posting on a forum about the cable snapping when it was my fault, would I. :|

Honestly, it is surprising sometimes when people question this; one would assume that a person with the earning potential to get his hands on a groupset retailing in the region of thousands of dollars would pretty much automatically have a basic unspoken level of intelligence which would certainly be able to handle the simple task of following some basic installation instructions.

As a contribution to the information pool, my rear shifting cable snapped about 20mm from the end. I first noticed something was wrong when the rear mech would not shift down to the bottom3 small rings on the cassette. I initially suspected I had bent / got something caught in the rear mech itself. This was not the case, however, and I was able to manually pull the rear mech down causing it to shift. The cable fully snapped after another 2 hours of riding (after I got myself back into town from the mountains).

20mm from the end is where the cable slides in and out of the main cable outer, so this would back up the theory that the slick coating on the inner rubs off and bunches up, damaging the cable itself and causing strands to snap, eventually leading to full snapping / noticeable performance issues.

mattr

by mattr

OwenJames wrote:Honestly, it is surprising sometimes when people question this; one would assume that a person with the earning potential to get his hands on a groupset retailing in the region of thousands of dollars would pretty much automatically have a basic unspoken level of intelligence which would certainly be able to handle the simple task of following some basic installation instructions.
:lol: and :shock:
Across the entire market (paying public, not pros) a huge number of the people buying the top of top end kit (XTR/XX1/DA/SR/EPS/Di2) are simply people with money. They have little or no mechanical knowledge (or sympathy) and regularly sling the latest bling at their bikes with no thought as to whether its compatible or not. Surprisingly enough, some of them are actually thick. You don't have to be intelligent to have a significant disposable income.

WW is a VERY small subset of the high end kit buying public.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I know it's sacrilegious to suggest it, but would switching to a standard stainless cable prevent this?

Am possibly on the verge of shelling out for 9000, so this concerns me.

weekapaugin

by weekapaugin

I am also considering 9000 for a next group and was wondering if those of you with cable issues are having ongoing problems once it is replaced. I keep hearing the stories of the rd cable breaking after a very short time with the group, but haven't read any stories of multiple instances, or repeated cable breakage after the initial has been replaced. Are you replacing it with a different type of cable after the initial issue?

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Hi

Cable update.

A few days ago the front mech started feeling really tight on the upshift, like I had to push past an obstruction before it would shift up. I checked the mech itself, the chainring teeth, and of course the cable route.

Nothing externally was wrong, but the problem remained. This was in the middle of a ride, so I decided to get myself home before I started the proper fiddling.

On the way back, I tried to keep front shifting to a minimum, but there were times when I had to. The last time I shifted, the obstruction suddenly kind of 'popped' somewhere between the shifter and the point where the cable first comes out of the outer on the downtube cable boss.

'Uh-Oh!' thought I, and rode home without shifting any more on the front.

Got home, undid the FD bolt, and started to pull the shifter cable out of the shifter. It was a bit jammed, but came out with a bit of fiddling.

Half of the cable strands had snapped in the same kind of area as the rear shifter cable had done previously.

Once again, I checked the outer, cable route, inside the shifter for anything dodgy lurking, the ends of the outer for jagged edges, etc.

I am waiting for Shimano to come forward and tell us this is a 'feature'.

Put a new cable in after checking everything again, thoroughly, and shifting is back to normal.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Regarding these breakage issues, does anyone have a good enough grasp of the problem to say whether it will also affect 6800?

kode54

by kode54

OwenJames wrote:Hi

Cable update.

A few days ago the front mech started feeling really tight on the upshift, like I had to push past an obstruction before it would shift up. I checked the mech itself, the chainring teeth, and of course the cable route.

Nothing externally was wrong, but the problem remained. This was in the middle of a ride, so I decided to get myself home before I started the proper fiddling.

On the way back, I tried to keep front shifting to a minimum, but there were times when I had to. The last time I shifted, the obstruction suddenly kind of 'popped' somewhere between the shifter and the point where the cable first comes out of the outer on the downtube cable boss.

'Uh-Oh!' thought I, and rode home without shifting any more on the front.

Got home, undid the FD bolt, and started to pull the shifter cable out of the shifter. It was a bit jammed, but came out with a bit of fiddling.

Half of the cable strands had snapped in the same kind of area as the rear shifter cable had done previously.

Once again, I checked the outer, cable route, inside the shifter for anything dodgy lurking, the ends of the outer for jagged edges, etc.

I am waiting for Shimano to come forward and tell us this is a 'feature'.

Put a new cable in after checking everything again, thoroughly, and shifting is back to normal.

i have fraying of the PTFE coating close to the RD where the bend is tight and the cable coming out from the RD to the cable bolt. i figure with the fraying of the coating...eventually, there may be failure further down the road. i have not taken my cables out to inspect any wear where you suggest (20mm from the shifters), so i can't comment on that. i do have some binding issues with my rear brake cables (which i changed already). i'm guessing that the binding may be occurring where the housing exits the shifters because of a tight bend on my Enve handlebars. the housing groves on my handlebars don't line up as smoothly as everything else.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Sam

by Sam

Does 6800 have the same issue regarding the cable?

rijndael

by rijndael

The 6800 is supposed to have updated routing, which it will share with the 9001 (due out soon) shifters. There's a thread about it somewhere, I'll try and track it down.
Last edited by rijndael on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rijndael

by rijndael

Here's the thread that mentions it: viewtopic.php?p=1022134#p1022134