"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

hna

by hna

There was a time when all Tour de France competitors had facial hair. I believe there was some kind of public outrage after the first moustache-less classification victory :lol:

GT56

by GT56

hna wrote:There was a time when all Tour de France competitors had facial hair. I believe there was some kind of public outrage after the first moustache-less classification victory :lol:

yeah, the return of the moustache, 100 years after

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

KWalker wrote:While it takes work I've yet to read of anything that is unhealthy about the practices that Sky promotes. If anything they have much more supervision and nutritional knowledge behind their weight loss strategy than riders of old.

I don't disagree with you re: sky - but the rigor of watching diet that closely cannot be fun and adds another strain on the mental side of things. At least that was the case for me. I like food a lot.

KWalker

by KWalker

so do most cyclists. and people. many of whom are also overweight or carry a number of poor health markers and/or high bodyfat for their activity level. sometimes i don't think athletes are unhealthy just that normal people are very inactive/overweight
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

hna

by hna

One of the reasons that I train and compete at such a high level is because I can basically eat whatever I want without getting fat. I'm a huge food junkie. I never quite understand how I manage to stay so light. There are times where I eat more and worse foods than most of the heavier people I know. The difference is that I am out riding for severals hours a week, and they are stuck to their couch.

Sometimes I think about taking off the 2kg to get me in perfect race weight, but I never manage to cut out the junk foods.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

In general people are lazy and opt for the easiest solution to eating habits and physical activity.
I'll drive up to the drive through window and get a burger and fries instead of go home and take time to prepare something healthy and cheaper. :hmm:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

HillRPete

by HillRPete

petepeterson wrote:I do know how much fuel is required to train or race at that level. I was referring to the fact that he probably 'let himself go' a bit and put on a kilo or two post tour.

Sorry to be so fixated on that topic, but I think it's made too much of a topic. One or two kilos could never account for difference between Froome leaving everyone in the dust uphill at the Tour and Froome being dropped out of a larger group now. As others have said already, there's so much more to fitness, physically and psychologically, but weight seems to come up as a first thought all too easily for many.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

hna wrote:One of the reasons that I train and compete at such a high level is because I can basically eat whatever I want without getting fat. I'm a huge food junkie. I never quite understand how I manage to stay so light. There are times where I eat more and worse foods than most of the heavier people I know. The difference is that I am out riding for severals hours a week, and they are stuck to their couch.

Sometimes I think about taking off the 2kg to get me in perfect race weight, but I never manage to cut out the junk foods.

FYI, that type of diet will likely catch up to you in your later years. You can be skinny and still be unhealthy.
Just think how much better it would be if you were to eat healthy all the time.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

hna

by hna

I know. That's the reason I am trying to make a change in my diet. It goes well as long as I shop groceries on a full stomach, as I am usually too lazy to go to the store if I get sugar cravings.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

wassertreter wrote: Sorry to be so fixated on that topic, but I think it's made too much of a topic. One or two kilos could never account for difference between Froome leaving everyone in the dust uphill at the Tour and Froome being dropped out of a larger group now. As others have said already, there's so much more to fitness, physically and psychologically, but weight seems to come up as a first thought all too easily for many.

I completely agree and that's why I mention the mental side of it too.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Predictions for The Vuelta anyone? Bunch of wildcards beyond Valverde and Purito. Love to see Purito get a GT. Can Basso be a player again? Brajkovic will be rested and motivated and has shown promise. Horner, well, will be rested. And you never know when Sammy Sanchez is going to show up plus the orange guys are going to be going nuts.

Purito
Valverde
Basso
Brajkovic
Horner
Sanchez

...and Nibali as the ultimate wildcard. Could be focusing on Firenze though.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Purito <--very good chance
Valverde <--good chance but unlikely
Basso <-- fat chance
Brajkovic <--possibly maybe chance but too soon.
Horner <-- yeah right :lol:
Sanchez <--- he had a good chance a few years ago.
Nibali <-- Is he doing it. Maybe he can have a very good chance.

thecounty

by thecounty

Betancur all the way for the vuelta

munk93

by munk93

Nibali :P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

JTL FTW? Lol
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.