Colnago Master X Light

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

LionelB wrote:Frame is probably around 1700g depending on size, fork around 800g.

if you like Colnago's it's a good classic one to have. With Athena 11 in silver and some good tubular wheels you should be set.

Tubulars for winter? Wise?

LionelB

by LionelB

Devon wrote:Tubulars for winter? Wise?

Veloflex roubaix on them and done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crossifino

by crossifino

Does any one know if colnago has gone back to work yet still waiting for my c59

crossifino

by crossifino

BTW if you want a great winter bike try finding a colnago ti frame very classy not to heavy and easy to clean

canoas

by canoas

LionelB - some good tubulars, good idea, haven't ridden tubulars for a long time!

About time for the change, whilst I like the ease of clinchers, the road comfort isn't any close to a tubular. I usually ride Hutchinson Fusion 3 or Veloflex Corsa clinchers about the closest you can get to tubular, but still a long way a ways from the real deal!

canoas

by canoas

crossifino - Colnago usually go back to work beginning of September.

Colnago Ti, would like one, but they are very rare. Hard to find.

LionelB

by LionelB

canoas wrote:LionelB - some good tubulars, good idea, haven't ridden tubulars for a long time!

About time for the change, whilst I like the ease of clinchers, the road comfort isn't any close to a tubular. I usually ride Hutchinson Fusion 3 or Veloflex Corsa clinchers about the closest you can get to tubular, but still a long way a ways from the real deal!

amen

Pantani

by Pantani

Mine is on the introduce yourself thread. They are a lovely classic frame and I'm keeping mine for sentimental reasons. However, they are both flexy and heavy in absolute terms. But that's just classic narrow tube steel and not Colnago per se. So if you want steel they are a good choice. And actually, they are very good value in my opinion for the amount of workmanship involved. Using a modern groupset and carbon wheels might not be classic but it allows a build that is not absolute boat anchor heavy. One slightly annoying feature is that the head tube (at least in the small sizes) is ridiculously short - way shorter than Colnago's carbon frames.
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

canoas wrote:...In terms of cleaning the bike, it's steel. Does this mean I need to cover the bike in GT85 or WD40 to stop the rust or are there other methods

I've never heard of covering a bike in WD40 to stop rust - do people actually do that? Wipe it off after you ride instead?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

canoas wrote:In terms of cleaning the bike, it's steel. Does this mean I need to cover the bike in GT85 or WD40 to stop the rust or are there other methods

Externally, no: just wipe it down after your ride, keep it dry.
Internally: use Frame Saver. (use your favorite internet search tool to find it, buy it, and use it)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

LionelB

by LionelB

prendrefeu wrote:
canoas wrote:In terms of cleaning the bike, it's steel. Does this mean I need to cover the bike in GT85 or WD40 to stop the rust or are there other methods

Externally, no: just wipe it down after your ride, keep it dry.
Internally: use Frame Saver. (use your favorite internet search tool to find it, buy it, and use it)

Frame saver or equivalent will probably be applied by Colnago. You should be good there.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I like them but think the way the seat stays are plugged into the back of the seat lug looks cheap...I much preferred it when they used to braze the top of the stay onto the sides of the seat lug...the drop outs look plugged and cheap too.

I guess that's progress for you... ;)

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Don't think a Master is ideal for winter riding, but that's just me.

Plugged or otherwise, clean lines nonetheless.

fellow ww member, kgt's Master with Flash carbon fork, cmh's Saronni.

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

2 cents worth.

I have 2 of these.

The first one I built was intended to be something I could lock on the street in Central London (What was I thinking???). Ended up with:
An early 90s Master frame.
9 speed Dura Ace with Down Tube shifters (I wanted STIs but if they went pop I'd have trouble replacing them)
Grammo Stem
Eubios Bars
Turbo Matic
Helium Wheels.

I like it a lot but it was a bit small to be honest and as much as I liked the lines of no STI, it was a bit of a faff.

So I gave it to my Dad to knock about on (knowing that it wouldn't turn a wheel. Meanwhile I got back to riding on a Time.

I struggled with the Time. Very light, stiff, and comfy for the most part but I never really enjoyed riding it.

So earlier this year I found a Master X Lite on ebay (bit bigger), put on DA7900.
I also sourced some other kit like a 3t Titanium stem
2 sets of Forma SL bars (44&46)
Tiramisu Bars
Flite Titanium seatpost
Flite Saddle.

For wheels, I have a set of 303 tubs badged up as FIR (Not my preferred choice but they were practically free. I'll keep them until I can afford lightweights) running on Corsa CX SC.
and a set of 7400 dura ace laced radially with bladed spokes to Open 4cds. These are running on 27 section Open Pave CGs.
On order, I have PMPs on TB14s.
I am amazed at how light this has come in. Not much in it between this and my friend's Record equipped Canyon.

In any configuration, it rides beautifully. Everything operates in a reassuring manner that seems absent from carbon frames.

I do think its far too nice to have as a winterbike but I guess it depends on your climate. I've cleaned it up after a wet summer ride with some kitchen wipes. Not sure how this would work after a wet winter ride.......

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Forgot to mention. I have a project in mind.

If anyone sees a Master that's seen better days in 58 or 60 cm (C-C) I want to hear from you.

The stipulations are, it must not be a minter. I want to chop and drill things and I don't want to do that to a good one.

I'd prefer one with extended seat and head tube lugs (no dramas if cannot be sourced)

I'd also prefer one where the rear mech cable stop is integrated into the joint between the dropout and the chainstay.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com