Training and your marriage..let's weigh in.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

paulclay

by paulclay

I don't even know where to start. 'Is there some equation to hours of training, family time, performance, verbal lashings, and divorce attorneys? How do you all manage it all? what do you get to do? What do you negotiate/compromise?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Never getting married. I don't even have a girlfriend.

Keeps life simple :)

paulclay

by paulclay

you don't know what you're missing.... :?

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Actual # of training hours = # of training hours that will lead to divorce - 1
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Simple really, my wife likes sleep and I tend to be an early riser. So this morning (like most) I was up at 430am and on the road by 5am... Some mornings she doesn't even know if I've been out for a ride!

Good lights and a few like minded people to ride with help.

Sent from my LG-P705 using Tapatalk 4

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

CulBaire wrote:a few like minded people to ride

ie: husbands too? :lol:

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

I quit competition bodybuilding for my wife and in return she lets me ride, train, and TT as much as I want, and in return I let her decorate the house her way...

... Came home today and found the sofas hidden under a small country's supply of fancy pillows and some coffee cups which I'm sure I won't be allowed to drink from!
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Tinea Pedis wrote:Never getting married. I don't even have a girlfriend.

Keeps life simple :)

Through who's choice are you single..yours or theirs...? Lol jks man
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

mattr

by mattr

My missus took up cycling after we started dating. Turned out to be quite good at it.

Finishing well inside the top ten when riding against the elites type of good......... (on the road, MTB was too difficult)
She was still at the pointy end of the racing in her current category until last year. (MTB now, road riding is dull, apparently)

HillRPete

by HillRPete

paulclay wrote:Is there some equation to hours of training, family time, performance, verbal lashings, and divorce attorneys

Family first, simples.
But I am quite far off the podiums in my races, so it's easy to say that. In any case, being a strong rider at the expense of the people around me would make me more sad than an occasional podium would cheer me up. It's also good to know you're making the best of your time allocated for training, took me a lot of time to figure out what works for me.

kode54

by kode54

CulBaire wrote:Simple really, my wife likes sleep and I tend to be an early riser. So this morning (like most) I was up at 430am and on the road by 5am... Some mornings she doesn't even know if I've been out for a ride!

Good lights and a few like minded people to ride with help.

Sent from my LG-P705 using Tapatalk 4

ditto. although i ride 50% solo because of the early rising.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

AGW

by AGW

^ Same. But also being realistic about your goals and the races you're likely to enter. There are only like 3 road races here all year long. The rest are crits, TTs and hill climbs which don't last longer than 2 hours. I train as such and try to maximize my workouts with limited time in mind. She's happy I'm not riding 4+ hours a day (as am I frankly) and I'm happy to get positive results from a more reasonable training schedule.

ipdamages

by ipdamages

I agree with the last few posts. The guys I know who find a way to make it work and race at the highest level (e.g., my bud just set the USA 40-44 hour record and a few other buds are 45+ superstars) generally train at o'dark-thirty so they can be home when the kids are getting up. There is a group of about five of them who do it almost every morning. There is also a group of a few who don't race but who go out at that time too. The guys I know who ride when the sun is out (7am or later) have cut some kind of deal with their wives or they got divorced or they have no kids at home. Oh, and they have something weird with their job schedule.

The alternative is to train at a lesser level, and one can still enjoy cycling just fine on 7 hours a week, but at least in So Cal you need to be putting in 15+ hours in the saddle to be a protagonist. There are occasional exceptions in crits, but for little dudes like me who don't thrive making right turns in an industrial park, it means lots of hours of training, and then calling in a lot of chips to do a road race that is a three-hour drive to get there. Pick your battles. Oh, and pick a spouse who is amenable and low-maintenance, and give her something nice at unexpected times to sweeten the deal.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

IP knows it.
I'd love to have pre-dawn inclined buddies, but everyone I know around here who is serious about the sport is rather compromising their family and work life.
Last edited by HillRPete on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Performance is all about selfish and narcissic men's (or women's) obsession :lol: .

Don't know about marriage (of any kind), but family is great :D !!!

Can't wait to get back on the bike with the kids to train and make goals for the next season :D !!!

Louis :)