Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Yes, I'll have to cover some with leather, as soon as I manage to do that I'll post some photos :thumbup:

Otherwise here just one photo of the finished repair:

Grill

by Grill

Definitely want that saddle when it's available. Keep up the good work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

I want this saddle as well but I also want a seat post to go with it. Jure do you have a post that would match up with this newer style of saddle. Could you make a more traditional style post for the new saddles but of course with a JURE spin on it.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks!
It would be nice if I would make my own seatpost (already have some sketchs), something with around 10mm seatback to keep the minimalistic look and with a custom clamping mechanism...for sure something I should consider, but at this moment I wish I would have another pair of hands:)...I'll keep you updated when I make some more progress!

BmanX

by BmanX

If you lived close to me, I would be over there every single day helping you build these amazing items and of course learning from one of the best and most detailed individuals.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

DanW

by DanW

10mm setback post would be awesome :D

Jure, do you have any flexibility in where you position the rails of your saddle? I would imagine it is expensive and not really feasible to change the rail design now but do you have some flexibility in where to glue the rails? The reason I ask is that I currently ride a 15mm layback Thomson Masterpiece/ Selle Italia SLR and could do with about 5-10mm more rail towards the front of the saddle in order to start using an inline seatpost (quite a few g's to be saved by switching seatposts)

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@BmanX
:beerchug:

@DanW
The saddle rails design is specific and once you press them together with the saddle shell there will be only one possible position. But the saddle has almost 70mm of clamping area on the saddle rails.

Otherwise from what I saw 10mm would be in most cases more than perfect, also I could use a seatpost like that for my position, and the seatpost would look very clean.

DanW

by DanW

10mm offset seatpost would indeed be perfect.

The problem with the seatposts available is that there isn't much in the 10-15mm offset region. This is especially a problem when most seatposts have a clamping area of 50mm nowadays "to spread the clamping load". So even with 70mm claming area on the saddle rails that only leaves 20mm adjustment and sods law I need my saddle somewhere between a 0 offset post and 25mm offset post. The 15mm offset Thomson works best for me on my frame to not be at the very extreme end of the rails one way or another and 10mm would also work great.

Maybe someone can correct me but I can not find a nice light 10-15mm layback seatpost besides a tuned Thomson Masterpiece. The MCFK comes closest but is 20mm offset and 349 Euro...

Maybe someone can help add to the list of light set back posts available? (weight in 31.6x350mm- taken from R2 Bike/ Fairwheel weights)

AX Lightness AX2200--- 25mm offset??? --- 114g --- 467 Euro
Schmolke TLO Setback --- 25mm offset --- 116g --- 495 Euro
MCFK --- 20mm offset --- 119g --- 349 Euro
AX Lightness Daedalus--- 25mm offset??? --- 140g --- 355 Euro
New Ultimate Aluminium Setback --- 20mm??? --- 147g --- 120 Euro
Engage Revit --- 25mm offset --- 155g --- 195 Euro
USE Alien Carbon --- 10mm Offset --- 188g (claimed) --- 94 Euro
Bontrager XXX --- 20mm offset --- 190g --- 160 Euro
Thomson Masterpiece --- 15mm offset --- 193g --- 175 Euro
KCNC SC Pro Lite --- 18mm offset --- 203g --- 71 Euro
ENVE --- 25mm offset --- 195g --- 280 Euro
Crank Brother Cobalt 11 --- 20mm offset --- 200g+??? --- 219 Euro
Ritchey Superlogic --- 25mm offset --- 200g+??? --- 200 Euro

The pattern is too much offset for too much money. If not then too heavy :D I thought the Engage Revit (AX spin off company) would be perfect but I could not get on with the large set back. A 10-15mm offset version of this would be ideal

10-15mm layback post, under 140g, under 200 Euro would be perfect :thumbup:

As with BManX, if I were nearby I would happily supply an extra pair of hands :D
Last edited by DanW on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bregnhoj

by Bregnhoj

Berk, I'm really really really looking forward to seeing the saddle, covered with leather!

But one question, what's the width of the saddle?
My bikes incl. De Rosa Superking and Cervelo R3
Twitter & Instagram - @mathiasbregnhoj

TimmS

by TimmS

Use Alien has about 10mm setback, but a Berk would be a nice change since I'm riding the Use for about 8 years already :twisted:

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Good stuff Jure. I am so anxious to see where you're going with this. I am also so happy to be one of your early customers.

I'd like to add that the Bontrager weights are pretty dead on. I have a 27.2 20mm post, and it was claimed at 150g, and weighed in at 148g.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks to all!

The saddle is 130mm, and I'll also make 142mm. Actually I have the mould, but didn't really made any finished 142mm protoype. I realized that I'll have to change a few small details on the moulds (and on the product itself, won't be really visible, really small details, but I want to make it perfect). Rather don't think how much I spent for the mould that I won't use :lol: but that's just the way it is..
Will cover one with leather next week, will travel to Germany (Eurobike) and won't be at home for a few days.

ipdamages

by ipdamages

Amazing that you have accomplished so much at such a young age. You remind me of Mate Rimac.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimac_Automobili

KazzA

by KazzA

Just AWESOME, I am really looking forward to seeing how you will deal with all of the orders that will flood in once you start taking orders. I have a feeling you are going to be very busy trying to keep up! :thumbup:
2011 Cervelo S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks for the compliments, really appreciate that!

In the past days I was also on Eurobike. What really amazed me was that someone came to me and somehow recognized me and said hello, really cheers for that man! I didn't had any "Berk" logos on me or anything..had a few interesting days there.

Otherwise one of the projects that I'm working on is a PROTO-TYPE carbon biathlon rifle. It was designed by GorjupDesign and I make the carbon work. The aim of this project is to make it as light as possible, so Peter (friend of mine and pro biathlete, we are working on that project for the winter Olympic games in Russia) can add weight where he wants. The rifle must weight at least 3,5kg. Here just one quick photo, please don't mind the rough finish and still some parts missing etc., but anyway, it's prepared for some first shoots:
I'll soon have some more news so if you're interested I can share them with you (although it isn't a cycling project)