Help my build a budget bike!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

Hi everyone, new to the weight weenie scene. Been riding in tri's for a few years and the only bike I have currently is my heavy speed concept. I had at one point built up a s-works tarmac pretty well IMO but had to sell it (bought a new place and needed some extra cash). I'm looking to build up a new ride for next year so I don't have to hop in groups with my tri bike. On a really low budget unfortunately but doesn't mean I can't have something fun to ride right? I'll be building it up from nothing, so I was hoping I could get some input from you on what I should look for? Any good suggestions on nice road frames that can be had pretty cheaply? I'm hoping to keep the build (w/out wheels) under $1k. I don't need to have a sweet carbon frame, although I'd want one. I'm open to all options! Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

I think the best option for a road frame on the cheap would be something from one of the offshore suppliers. There are lots of options to get a inexpensive frame that comes in under 1000g.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

Any suggestions of which one of those suppliers might be a good one? I know there are ton's of chinese sellers on ebay and stuff but not sure I trust them...

BmanX

by BmanX

Dengfu
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Beancouter

by Beancouter

From the research i have done, hongfu and dengfu are generally well regarded for frames. Prices tend to be in the region of $450 to $500 although you will need to allow about $125 for shipping and paypal fees.

There is another thread running on here at the moment about underrated carbon frames. The FM066SL gets a few mentions - which is from Hongfu. Happy shopping!!!

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

Any frames worth looking into that aren't chinese made? As tempting as they are, I almost feel bad about buying one. Aren't most of them attempts at copies of existing frames?

53x12

by 53x12

If I was in your position and had $1k I would go FM066SL if I wanted a new frame and go a mix of used SRAM components. If you are willing to go used there are some great frames used IMO if you are willing to look around and wait for a good deal. Three I would recommend are Look 585, which I have seen frames in the $600-700 range, Cannondale SystemSix Hi-Mod (pre-2008) which goes for $500-700 depending on condition and finally a CAAD9 or CAAD 10 that would be in same range.

Honestly you will be hard passed to find a frameset that is half way decent godless than $500-700. Throw in price of groupset, cockpit, saddle/seatpost and cables/housing and I think you might be hard pressed to do it for $1k before wheels. Could be doable but you might need to increase your budget a little. Not much, but maybe $300-500 extra. Especially if you are buying online (shipping cost) or locally (sales tax). Good luck.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

good point, well I'm all for going used. I think when I built up the tarmac it was an SL3 with sram red (silver group) and zipp sl cockpit and I came out somewhere in the range of $1,200 so I'm hoping to go not quite as nice and keep it under $1,000. I have a set of wheels I'll throw on it (aeolus 5 cc's with a pt) so im set there. really appreciate the info!

53x12

by 53x12

I guess the first question is what do you want out of a frame and what kind of rides (terrain, length) do you ride? What is more important out of stiffness vs. comfort vs. weight vs. looks...etc.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

Good question, I won't be racing it, most of these rides will be longer touring rides (50-100mi) with friends. I liked the aggressive feel of my tarmac but doesn't need to quite that. I guess i would rate it like this:

Stiffness - would like something in middle of cushy and super stiff if that makes sense.
Comfort - important, I do like a somewhat aggressive position.
Weight - i wish it was but budget doesn't allow it.
Looks - doesn't matter

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Dengfu is a good supplier. I have purchased two frames from them and been happy with both. Below is my previous build that I rode through last winter. Lots of info elsewhere on this site but this is one of my favorite china frames because it is simple. I enjoyed the bike. Only sold it because I wanted to get an italian bike.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=112176

aftereffector

by aftereffector

I had a FM066SL for a while, and traded it for a CAAD9. It was a fantastic bike - stiff, light, and good handling.

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

So looking at the fm066 looks like a nice ride! I like the way it looks and all black is always appreciated. Do people sell theirs used ever or is that a purchase people hold onto for a long time? Haven't seen any of those ever on any used classifieds

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Interesting question; I have always assumed that Chinese frames don't have much of a resale market - would be interesting to hear any personal experiences.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

i have sold both dengfu frames. the objections I heard were about the warrantee but you can get a new one cheaper than crash replacement...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com