setup for Ciamillo Gravitas SL brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pawnii

by pawnii

remove
Last edited by pawnii on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pawnii

by pawnii

I've been waiting 2 weeks for a reply!

I'll send you another email with my address now. Please send me the bung.

Realistically how long till you can send me out some Micro Cams?

thanks
2012 Scott Foil Premium

ZeroG
in the industry

by ZeroG

The Micro Cams will start shipping next week along with the Gravitas SL Micros and the Negative GSL Micros.

Thanks.

pawnii

by pawnii

A week has passed and still no reply from Ted.
Ted seems to only respond to shitty threads about Ciamillo on WW.
Shame that he sounds so sincere on here...but yet does fcuk all.

IMO you're an shit company if you can't get your shit together to reply to emails even after 3-4 weeks.
Wish I could get my money back.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

ZeroG
in the industry

by ZeroG

Dear Pawnii,

I am sorry for your frustration. I did respond to you and I did send the insert to you. It should be to you shortly. Shipments from Athens, Georgia to Australia take some about 10 days. I know it is frustrating to have an expensive component waiting on a part. I will forward the tracking info to your email. Please understand that I will make sure you are set and operating perfectly.

Thanks,
Ted

pawnii

by pawnii

Ted,
I have not received a reply from you in weeks. You have promised me shipping details before without delivering (twice).
When the part arrived the box states that it was actually sent 8 days after you told me you sent it so forgive me for not believing you when u say "I've sent it".

It's pretty simple, give me the tracking number if you have sent me the item.
Post it here even.

To make it easier for you, here's my email
sang76@tog.com.au
sang76@tog.com.au
sang76@tog.com.au

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Scott Foil Premium

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

I am watching this topic with interest. For a while, I've been losing power with my GSL brakes. Recently, I had to pull so hard for a downhill stop that I slipped the cable and nearly crashed. After reading here, it is clear that pad wear has slowly been decreasing my power, and that as pads wear, additional washers should be introduced rather than dialing out the barrel adjuster or tightening up the cable at its brake mount bolt.

My question, to those who may have perfected setup... Is it possible to use these brakes with a large amount of brake lever movement before pad contact (i.e large pad to rim distance), and maintain end-of-throw power? I really don't like setups where the brakes activate with a minimal lever movement, but have had trouble getting my setup dialed (shimano 6600 levers, still.... I know!) 23mm wide rims, and the super-low-profile pad holders.

As a side note... One of the major difficulties which the new micro-cam may eliminate is having to completely re-do brake setup for every race day. Switching to my carbon-specific pads (which get way less wear) was no problem initially when both carbon and alu pads had equal wear. But now that they're different, it appears I will be adding/removing spherical washers along with the senseless agony of switching campy pads (campy friction fit standard is stoooopid, although lighter :)

Thanks for any help!

pawnii

by pawnii

My question, to those who may have perfected setup... Is it possible to use these brakes with a large amount of brake lever movement before pad contact (i.e large pad to rim distance), and maintain end-of-throw power? I really don't like setups where the brakes activate with a minimal lever movement, but have had trouble getting my setup dialed (shimano 6600 levers, still.... I know!) 23mm wide rims, and the super-low-profile pad holders.

i doubt it.

As a side note... One of the major difficulties which the new micro-cam may eliminate is having to completely re-do brake setup for every race day. Switching to my carbon-specific pads (which get way less wear) was no problem initially when both carbon and alu pads had equal wear. But now that they're different, it appears I will be adding/removing spherical washers along with the senseless agony of switching campy pads (campy friction fit standard is stoooopid, although lighter :)

I think it would be fair to say that not being able to switch between wheels, specially between wheels with different brake surface or rim width, is a limitation of Ciamillo brakes atm.
The Micro-Cam is supposed to fix all these problems but no one has seen or tried it yet. Sounds like a hot-fix to me and with most hot-fixes they're never perfect.
We're all pretty desperate for a resolution now so I hope I'm wrong.
Last edited by pawnii on Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

ipdamages

by ipdamages

I ordered a set of the new Gravitas SLs on Friday (with micro-cam). I know Ted has been very busy trying to bring those to market, and fortunately my 05 ZGs work fine, so I figure I'll get them when I get them.

I don't think Ted mentioned it, but I understand that the new Gravitas SLs are also compatible with Powercordz.

pawnii

by pawnii

Powercordz? How so?
The only way I could see them work with Powercordz is if you wrap the Powercordz around the pinch bolt.
It's hard enough getting the exact cable length you need with normal cables let alone stuffing around with Powercordz.

Has anyone use Powercords on Gravitas brakes successfully?
2012 Scott Foil Premium

ipdamages

by ipdamages

Ted told me that there is now room to do the wraparound (on the 2014 version), whereas in the previous version it was not possible.

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

Just a quick reply since I answered my own questions...

I had wondered whether it was possible to have a full power setup, with long lever throw, on a 23mm rim and shimano 6600. Answer is definitely yes. As I mentioned, as the pads wore, I had dialed out the barrel adjuster to compensate.... This is bad, and will eventually lead to dramatically diminished power. Instead, as the pads wear, the double-sided spherical spacers should be added. There is quite a large power zone, if setup correctly, so for me at least, at the mid-point in pad wear, one of the thin washers each side, and I'm back. I think the key is to make sure the pads contact the rim no later than 50% through the movement of the cam... I think this is even how Ciamillo recommends the setup. With pad contact around 40% of movement, there is plenty of lever throw (and plenty of power). So my point is, with a little care, I think these brakes can accomodate pretty much any setup with plenty of power.

And a last thought on the micro-cam... I was looking at the brakes, trying to puzzle how this may work, as we don't really have any pictures of the mechanism yet. The part of the cam the makes contact with the brake arm that runs above it is a cyclinder of wear material. Seems to me, if that cylinder was made eccentric, and able to rotate as an adjustment, that would change the pad-rim distance without changing any other element of the setup. It probably wouldn't change the leverage power much at all either. Does anyone know if this is how the system would work?? Would be a super fast and easy adjustment.

pawnii

by pawnii

ipdamages wrote:Ted told me that there is now room to do the wraparound (on the 2014 version), whereas in the previous version it was not possible.

This wraparound method means you only get one shot at getting the perfect length as once you clamp the cable it brakes the casing of the powercordz so you can't readjust it or use it the cable again.
This was the same thing you had you had to do with ZGs.

I'm not sure Powercordz and Gravitas are a good combination considering powercordz are pretty grippy cables and Gravitas's return spring is crappy.

And a last thought on the micro-cam... I was looking at the brakes, trying to puzzle how this may work, as we don't really have any pictures of the mechanism yet. The part of the cam the makes contact with the brake arm that runs above it is a cyclinder of wear material. Seems to me, if that cylinder was made eccentric, and able to rotate as an adjustment, that would change the pad-rim distance without changing any other element of the setup. It probably wouldn't change the leverage power much at all either. Does anyone know if this is how the system would work?? Would be a super fast and easy adjustment.

Strange that Ted hasn't released a photo or drawing of the Micro Cam yet...even though it's available to purchase already (supposedly).
2012 Scott Foil Premium

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I have prototype images, I cannot release yet. It is happening.
carbonLORD.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pawnii

by pawnii

ZeroG wrote:Dear Pawnii,

I am sorry for your frustration. I did respond to you and I did send the insert to you. It should be to you shortly. Shipments from Athens, Georgia to Australia take some about 10 days. I know it is frustrating to have an expensive component waiting on a part. I will forward the tracking info to your email. Please understand that I will make sure you are set and operating perfectly.

Thanks,
Ted

another week has passed and still no contact from Ted, no part or no tracking number...just more hollow promises.
2012 Scott Foil Premium