Bont Riot review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stubob

by stubob

Got my Bont Riots in the mail over the weekend, and I wanted to give a quick write-up of them, since there doesn't seem to be much info out there on them.

Style/Finish
Out of the box, they are pretty stylish. I'm sure the black/white color may put some people off, but I think the white forefoot matches well with the black ankle cuff and the carbon heel/sole. The buckle and z-strap aren't anything new, but they work well together. The buckle tightens around your ankle, the z-strap tightens the forefoot, just like you'd expect.

The soles are a carbon-fiberglass mix, which is probably not quite as stiff as the full carbon Bonts. They have nice cleat-locating marks, and replaceable (if small) heel and toe grippers. One thing that is missing from the upper level shoes is the toe bumpers, but I've ridden my current shoes for years without them (Sidi Zetas) and haven't worn through the toes or anything like that.

Fit
Here's the insole of the 42 Bont Riot compared to the insole of my 42 Sidi Zeta. They're pretty close in size, with the Riot having a little wider toe box. The Bont size wizard put me in the 42, as my feet measured 255 mm long by 105(?)mm wide. Initial fit out of the box is a little short, as I can feel my second toe hit the end of the shoe. Width is ok, but the profile of the sides doesn't match up to the profile of my foot quite right.

Overall, the best description I can give (which is probably true of all Bonts), is that they fit like hockey skates. This is reasonable, since Bont got their start making speedskating boots. They don't feel like "shoes". The high sides on the carbon sole don't have any give, which may cause some soreness for my bony toes. If they heat-mold like they're supposed to, the fit may get better, but so far I haven't gotten much give out of them after putting them in the oven. They also don't feel like there's much arch support, but I know I can mold some in as part of the heating process.

Weight
Image 270 g each for size 42, pretty much as quoted.

What Now?
Even though they seem to run true enough to size, I'm going to send them back for a 42.5 to get a little more toe room. But since the 42.5's aren't available until next week, I'm going to try Shimano R170's as well and compare them.

Anders

by Anders

Regarding the toe hitting, be sure that your heel is well seated. It may move backwards when you heat mold it and then the shoe might fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Thanks for the writeup! I was considering these before I got some slightly used A1s.

The sizing is a common issue for people with longer than normal middle toes. The Bonts are longest at the big toe and then curve in. I wish Bont would address this... ie simply publish the outline of each size so you can see how it is shaped. The sizing chart put me on a 42.5W, but I needed a 44 to get adequate length.

Let us know how you like them when you get some miles on. I went for a 75mi first ride today and so far I'm impressed by the feel. Not soft and comfy but firm and efficient... connected. The comfort is adequate... no hot spots or numbness. Sort of like a sports car compared to a luxury sedan. I had Shimano R220s previously.
formerly rruff...

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

Good review there! I was thinking of getting a pair of these as I think they look a lot nicer than the top end Bonts.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

WMW wrote:The sizing is a common issue for people with longer than normal middle toes. The Bonts are longest at the big toe and then curve in. I wish Bont would address this... ie simply publish the outline of each size so you can see how it is shaped. The sizing chart put me on a 42.5W, but I needed a 44 to get adequate length.

Mine and the problem of many others as well....I wrote Bont about this and they said that I could go for the full custom option.....for $1,000!

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Riots are awful things in which people get killed. What is a company using this word for? Is the 'Riot' part of a range which includes 'Rape' or 'Murder'?

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Bit OTT Valbrona. Riot does have other meanings as well........

euan

by euan

Yep, it also means to indulge in something. Also ever heard of the phrase "riot of colour"?

boysa

by boysa

Thanks for the report, and I look forward to hearing more once you start riding them. I'm in the market for shoes, and have no idea where to begin.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

AGW

by AGW

Thanks for the review. I also look forward to future reports; I've been eyeing these since the beginning of the year.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

'it's gonna be a riot'

Good, not bad.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

How can you give a "review"of something that doesn't fit, so you've been unable to actually use it?

What you've told us , we can see in a Bont advert..

Come back when you've got some miles in them
Official cafe stop tester

choplee

by choplee

Any updates on your bont riots ..?????.....

i think the price point is good they look great and was just wondering that you must have put some miles on them now and any feedback would be appreciated... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

choplee

by choplee

The bont riots must be that bad that they don't want to talk about them unless they don't have them anymore :?:
:shock: