"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

xnavalav8r wrote:I was in Sittard for the Stage 5 time trial of the ENECO Tour. I thought it was interesting to hear Wiggins say that he intends to return his focus to racing on the track.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/return-to-tour-de-france-unlikely-for-wiggins

Days ago...

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Wiggins who? Old news.....someone take that horse out back and put it out of its misery :sarcasm:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ave

by ave

djconnel wrote:Talansky also lost 5 minutes. Guys coming off a post-Tour recovery weren't ready for the anaerobic intensity, it seems.

Really? What was Sagan doing? I'd think he was doing post Tour crits as well.

53x12

by 53x12

+1 Exactly ave. Plus these guys are pros. Not your weekend cat 4 warrior.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

djm

by djm

Aren't post Tour crits a joke anyway? Not really comparable to racing at altitude in Colorado.

fa63

by fa63

ave wrote:
djconnel wrote:Talansky also lost 5 minutes. Guys coming off a post-Tour recovery weren't ready for the anaerobic intensity, it seems.

Really? What was Sagan doing? I'd think he was doing post Tour crits as well.

Sagan mentioned in his post-race interview that he has been training in Colorado for the last two weeks, presumably to get used to the altitude so it sounds like he is taking the race more seriously than some.
Last edited by fa63 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Yes really - it's pretty basic stuff that one would take a physical and mental break after the tour. Those who did so would just be starting back up now. Maybe google "periodization".

Explain to me how being a pro changes the fact that you cannot be on top form all year despite what Tim K may say. Because they are pros they are supposed to be flying year round? Sagan's level now and consistency since the spring is insane; he is the outlier from the rest of 'the pros'.

Lastly it's silly to compare programs/fitness for GC guys focused primarily on the tour vs. sprinter's ...

jmilliron

by jmilliron

How about that Lachlan dude? He seems cool and is doing well at altitude. He's the kind of bicycle racing I like to see.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

KWalker

by KWalker

Guy is like hipster meets road racer.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

ichobi

by ichobi

His 'tache is a bit much imo.

Murphs

by Murphs

KB wrote:Henao designated as team leader for the Vuelta even though Uran is also down to ride, which maybe suggests the latter is choosing it as training for the Worlds. No Wiggins or Froome; that was expected.

Makes more sense to support the guy who isn't leaving

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I agree... Sagan's two weeks of preparation in Colorado have given him a serious advantage over those who chose to "recover" from the Tour. A couple post-Tour crits, and some training at sea level are not going to prepare even the most talented pro for racing at altitude in the Rockies. I've seen very talented athletes, far more fit than I, develop symptoms of altitude sickness from simply climbing stairs during their first couple days above 10,000 feet. It may be that Sagan is simply smarter than his peers and colleagues in the peloton... not just more talented.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

jmilliron wrote:How about that Lachlan dude? He seems cool and is doing well at altitude. He's the kind of bicycle racing I like to see.

Stoked for the kid. One hell of a rider. I know a guy who was with him in the break up the climb in the 2011 Grafton to Inverell. Was told by his DS not to pull, his reply "I can't!". Lachie sat on the front and motored the whole break up and over the climb, without pretty much anyone swapping off with him :lol:

ultyguy

by ultyguy

HammerTime2 wrote:Well, Tom Danielson and Tyler Hamilton are among past winners of Tour of Quinhai Lake. I wonder if their "help"
is particularly helpful at high altitude?

Fair enough, I guess I chose a not too great example, but I was pointing more that everything there ends with very small time differences.

Remember, Sagan is A#1 Cannondale boy now and ToC and Colorado are the biggest races in the home country of his sponsor.

ave

by ave

I fully understand, that Froome was probably not preparing for this race like others.
But he was on a much higher level beforehand, so it's still not normal to get dropped.
As far as I know he's interested in the Worlds - being out of shape now seems strange to me.

but it's just my feelings, I'm no Tim Kerrison (or who). :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com