Neil Pryde Bura weight limit?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

Hi all, I've had a Bura SL frame for about 9 weeks now and it's cracked in 2 separate places (top of the drive side seat stay and by the BB on the non drive side chain stay). I've not come off or hit anything nor has it really been ridden that hard due to current time constraints.

Is there a rider weight limit for these frames? I'm not the lightest of guys (93kg) and I don't think I'm powerful enough to crack frames with my legs alone!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dougan

by Dougan

What have Neil Pryde Warranty department said?

Anders3404

by Anders3404

http://www.neilprydebikes.com/static/service/faq.html

BURAsl and BURAsl Di2 :
- Rider weight limit 100kg for sizes XS-L
- Rider weight limit 110kg for sizes XL

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

Dougan wrote:What have Neil Pryde Warranty department said?

Not sure yet, I've left it in the hands of the bike shop who are emailing pics of the damage over to NP. Hopefully, it'll be a nice easy one to resolve.

Thanks Anders, looks like I'm safe!

lannes

by lannes

did you use it in a home trainer ?

maquisard

by maquisard

It is a pretty damning indictment regarding the strength of the frame that it even has weight limits. How many other carbon frames on the market actually do?! :shock:

This could of course just be an ass covering exercise by the Neil Pryde legal department but it is still interesting.

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

lannes wrote:did you use it in a home trainer ?

No, weathers too nice here to require one at the moment. I assume that carbon & trainers don't make the best bed fellows?

maquisard

by maquisard

Carbon fibre bikes on turbo trainers being a problem is an urban myth.

A carbon bike will encounter many magnitudes more stress bumping over a pot hole out on the road than it ever will on a turbo trainers. Similarly the nonsense perpetuated about different forces being encountered on the turbo trainer is just that. Yes the loading on the frame might be different but it is more than capable of handing it.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

maquisard wrote:It is a pretty damning indictment regarding the strength of the frame that it even has weight limits. How many other carbon frames on the market actually do?! :shock:

This could of course just be an ass covering exercise by the Neil Pryde legal department but it is still interesting.

First incident I've seen/heard of. I've been riding one of these since late Feb, early March and mine takes quite the beating. No issues. Could be several things, first that comes to mind is a bad batch from whatever factory makes them.
Speedplay is the devil!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

maquisard wrote:It is a pretty damning indictment regarding the strength of the frame that it even has weight limits. How many other carbon frames on the market actually do?! :shock:

Good question, and I did a quick search just to see if I could find anything.
The Scott Addict 2014 will have a 100kg rider weight limit.
Cervelo RCA (??? not stated).

That was just the first two "ultra lights" that came to mind.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Anders3404

by Anders3404

Cervelo says the following:

H. Maximum Weight
Cervélo frames have been designed and tested to withstand very high
loads, and as a result we have not traditionally assigned maximum
weight restrictions for our frames. However, your bicycle is also made up
of numerous individual components, all of which have their own unique
weight limits. As a result, Cervélo recommends that you consult your
dealer to ensure that all components selected for use on your bicycle
are suitable and safe for your intended use

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

mdeth1313 wrote:

First incident I've seen/heard of. I've been riding one of these since late Feb, early March and mine takes quite the beating. No issues. Could be several things, first that comes to mind is a bad batch from whatever factory makes them.

Yeah, a bad batch was the first thing that came to my mind to be fair. I'd be extremely surprised if the cracks appeared just due to general riding!

JensW

by JensW

have had a warranty issue with NP, not with Bura SL, it was with a Alize, no hassle at al. professional and they did it fast.

Your problem sounds as a typical thing that should be covered under the warranty

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

Quick update, NP have agreed to replace under warranty which is very good of them. Now, we'll see if they can get something out to me quicker than the 9 weeks it took to send the original frame!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com