Weight reduction suggestions: Lynskey Ti

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

newnan3

by newnan3

Hey WWs,

I'd appreciate some suggestions on how to shed some weight on my rig.

Now I realize this isnt the lightest of frames as is and I bought it as a bike that would withstand a crash or three.
It rides like a dream and I totally love it but maybe it can lose some weight.

I wish i'd gone with sram red when i bought the groupset but alas....

Garmin 810 with a k-edge mount. Wheels are Boyd's 38mm with Powertap G3. Tires Conti GP4000S 23mm.

I forgot to add anti-seize compound when i mounted the seat to the seatpost so one of the bolts is stuck. The head is stripped as well. Luckily Im happy with the seat and the angle. Im not sure of the weight of the post but it doesnt seem too heavy.

Any suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cnbky

by cnbky

I would start off with a saddle seatpost combo and since you know the angles that fit you, it shouldn't be difficult. And Im sure a good mechanic can get that bolt out for you. Now thats a cost effective way to lose a good 250g off. Plus it would match the black fork and cockpit nicely.

Cages don't look light. I personally have been very happy with 13g ax lightness cages.

Rear mech is very tuneable with minimum effort/money.

with these above youd save at least 300+ grams.

Keep a look out for a nice set of lightweight wheels but thats higher in the spending department. With the G3 you have, that would save you a lot.

Whats the current weight?

newnan3

by newnan3

Weight is about 17.5 lbs. So not WW at all.

The saddle is a Spesh Romin SL. I know there are definitely lighter ones out there. I think i tend to prefer saddles with the cutout. Any suggestions on a similar style saddle?

The seatpost is a Lynskey Ti as well. From looking around the interwebs it doesnt appear that its too heavy but Ive never actually weighed it so i dont know.

The cages are Blackburn carbons. Theyre not terribly heavy but probably heavier than 13g a piece!

limba

by limba

You can get Blackburn Slick cages for 10 dollars that weigh 23 grams. Your cages are 27g each. I wouldn't bother if you like the ones you have.

newnan3

by newnan3

Thanks for the suggestion.

I actually like the blackburns i have. They came off of my other bike. Never dropped a bottle and lifetime warranty.

I was researching the seatpost and saddle idea. But not being able to pin down the weight of my current seatpost I dont know how much weight i could lose. I'd be willing to go for a lighter seat but I hate the idea of trying out new ones.

Outside of spending $1500 to get RED (assuming I can get $500 for my Force group) to lose 6 ounces this bike might not have much WW potential.

Any ideas on the stem? Its a Ritchey PRO 90mm i think....

sungod

by sungod

try acf-50 on the stuck bolt

powercordz with nokon/ilinks/etc. will save a useful amount, i use silver nokon on my xcr, imho it looks good on metal frames

as above, post and saddle - the saddle must be >200g, post i'd guess at least 180-200g maybe more, assuming that's close then if you switched both you could save up to 200g, depends on budget, there are cf saddles with a cutout

latex tubes saves a smidge

bars/stem, you need to find out sizes/angles/weight, then look at options, again depends on budget

use a spreadsheet, make a list of components you have, then look at how much you save save on each, and the cost, then you can see where the best g per £/$/€ can be obtained

KB

by KB

Wheels every time, but that usually means tubulars. They usually make the most difference weight wise and you immediately feel the difference when you put the hammer down.

newnan3

by newnan3

I have considered the bars and stem. Current bars are alloy 3t ergonovas and stem is Ritchie pro I think. I found a New Ultimate stem that might be an ounce lighter.

The wheels are fairly light and I'm not ready to mess with tubulars yet. I have the power meter on the rear so I'm hesitant to change wheels.

I've read that latex tubes are more prone to blow outs when riding carbon clinchers under prolonged braking. Any truth in that?

I'll probably give the spreadsheet a go at some point and see where I stand on everything.

Teletori

by Teletori

Since you mentioned that the bike should stand up to a crash or three, to put on expensive light parts sounds a bit silly.

As long as you don't want to mess with wheels, you will probably have to change many parts, and only be able to shed a pound or so at a very high cost, and not be able to feel much difference in the end.

Ride it hard and enjoy it, and if you plan to build yourself another racebike or something, put everything from the Lynskey over to that. Then start picking lightweight parts from the beginning and rebuild the Lynskey.

newnan3

by newnan3

Point taken. I wouldn't consider the crazy expensive light parts. Rather lighter parts that go along with the nature of the bike.

I still might consider a lighter seat and post. That wouldn't set me back too much.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

You'll only need to loosen one bolt to change the saddle - once one is loose you'll be able to remove the saddle and sort the knackered bolt.
Last edited by RichTheRoadie on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

newnan3

by newnan3

As an update I got some new lighter parts. I got the 3t carbon ergonova handlebars with 3t Arx Black team stem.

I also got an Enve seatpost with a Selle Italia Carbonio Flow saddle. I have a regular selle italia on my mtb so i figured it would be a good one for me. Its gonna need some breaking in though. I chopped about 100mm off of the seatpost so cut some weight there too.

The rear end definitely feels lighter and the handlebars feel lighter and better for some reason. I think the angle of the stem changed despite being the same length as my old stem.

The upgrades satisfied my need to spend some coin for a while. I may have a look at other lighter parts when things start to wear out but for now Im good.

Ill probably hold on to my old seatpost and saddle for when i do brevets.

Thanks to everybody for input!

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

3T and Ritchey use the same stem angle: -6º. You might have put the bars into the stem and a slightly different angle though, which is probably what you're feeling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

newnan3

by newnan3

Yeah I tried to line them up close but something feels different. I think the diameter of the drops might be thinner. Or maybe im getting that much better at wrapping my bars.