YES - My Ridley Crosswind frame has arraived today!

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

I will post pictures and soon as I get my hands on this frame! I also got a Phyton fullcarbon fork but no headset? I thought that this would come with the frame - anyone knows what kind of integrated fittings the frame uses?

Thank!!!! :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boonen

by Boonen

Mads, your frame should come with an FSA headset! They come in a small package with the frame including the headset cups you have to push into the frame.
Congratulations with the frame btw, what colours did you end up getting?

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Are you sure? It was my friend who searched the package and he did it rather quickly - I will look when I pick out the package in the afternoon!

I got the White/Black/Silver - look really nice compared to the black and blue versions!

Boonen

by Boonen

Yes, I'm positive you get this with the frame (and need it) unless you somehow ordered a version with standard headset? Have a good look in the box, there should be a little plastic bag with the headset in there somewhere. When the box comes straight from Ridley they usually put these inside the small boxes that prevent the frame from moving inside the box.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

I have just send him an sms and now he has replied that it was there - thanks for information so I could make him look again :-)

Boonen

by Boonen

That's good news! Now go and pick it up and let us see some pictures :wink:

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

give us the solo weight of frame fork and headset
thank you
elmar :lol: 8)

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Here are the information you asked for:

Ridley Crosswind (size 48cm) with geardrop = 1455 grams
4ZA Phyton (uncut) = 395 grams
FSA integrated headset (without expander plug and bolt) = 100 grams
Wheel for front derailleur and steel bolt (for road der) = 9 grams
Ridley seatclamp = 25 grams
FSA SLK Compact MegaExo crankset with integrated BB = 820 grams (included 28 grams for alu tube -> real weight is 792 grams)

Here is a picture of the frame - looks really nice!!!
Buildlist:
FSA OS-115 stem with ti-bolts,
Ritchey WCS OS handlebars
Extralite The Post UL seatpost,
Seat?
Shimano Ultegra gears
4ZA Froglegs brakes,
Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels,
Continental Twister tires.

I will post more pictures as they come!
Attachments
frame01ww.JPG
fsa-crank01ww.JPG
gearwheel01ww.JPG
seat-clamp01ww.JPG
headset01ww.JPG
fork-weight01ww.JPG
frame-weight01ww.JPG

XTC-Max

by XTC-Max

sweeeeeeeet! Say, does the Python fork really weigh a mere 400 g!??!? That's unbelieveable :shock: my fork weighs 570 g. Need to get my hands on a python. that's even lighter than the Kuota and Easton forx, right?

Could you do me a favor and measure the crown race width (?)? I wonder whether the diameter of the fork's crown where it meets the frame is too wide to fit a conventional headset

Dennis

by Dennis

FSA SLK Compact MegaExo crankset with integrated BB = 820 grams (included 28 grams for alu tube -> real weight is 792 grams)

Do you mean it's possible to remove the alu tube between the bearings? On your picture a orange one.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Dennis wrote:Do you mean it's possible to remove the alu tube between the bearings? On your picture a orange one.

There was a tube inside the bottom bracket - I think it was only there so the BB wouldn't be damaged before mounted!

XTC-Max wrote:Could you do me a favor and measure the crown race width (?)? I wonder whether the diameter of the fork's crown where it meets the frame is too wide to fit a conventional headset.

I will take some pictures tonight - the fork is for integrated headset and it looks quite wide at the bottom but I will take pictures for you tonight!

Boonen

by Boonen

Dennis wrote:

Do you mean it's possible to remove the alu tube between the bearings? On your picture a orange one.

I think it has been discussed on the road forum before, so if you want more opinions you can do a search there.
The outer tube is to make the bb watertight, so if the bb area in your frame is closed (like on some cf frames) and you are shure no water can come in there, you could leave it out. I wouldn't recommend it on a cx bike though!
There is another tube inside the bb on the more expensive version of the FSA bb. It is to make sure you don't crush the bearings when installing the cranks. When carefully installed the cranks have worked fine withouth this sleeve for me. Again, I won't recommend you removing it, but I haven't had any problems doing so. If you overtighten your right crankarm you could put extra force on the bearings that will destroy them over time, that's why the extra sleeve is there.
Here are a couple of pictures of a bb you get (ao) with the K-Force road cranks. (It's ITA threaded so slightly heavier)
Attachments
outside tube bb.JPG
tube inside bb.JPG
FSA K-Force Mega Exo BB.JPG

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Yes - it's the tube in the middle picture!!

It also worked fine for me without using the innertube then I mounted the bearings - I thought it was only to not damage the BB but you recommend using it? It's a massive 28 grams so I might leave it out :-)

Boonen

by Boonen

Mads, I'm not using the 28 gram piece in my road bike, only the 16 gram outer shell. No problems in the 4-5 months I used this setup this year, just be carefull not to overtighten the crankarm when mounting it. BTW, the cheaper versions of the FSA cranks don't have this part at all. Guess it has something to do with the design of the crankarms?

I wouldn't really recommend you to leave the sleeve out, only saying that it didn't result in any problems for me (yet).
If you are worried about the extra forces on a cx bike you could always drill the part a bit to make it lighter.
Last edited by Boonen on Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

okay - just seems strange because shimano has the same design and they don't use this innertube in their box!