Tenerife. First-hand experiences?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I've been looking through old posts and also doing some research online. I'll be in Tenerife late October and expect to have my bike with me. I'm only there a few days (for work) but should have some time to ride. Any suggestions from those who have been?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Was there in high season, not October, generally the higher up you go, the less traffic. South/east tends to get less rain than north/west.

trychle

by trychle

I posted some pictures of my rides there a few weeks ago in the 'on the road today' thread. Just like wassertrettet said: the south tends to get less rain (and is therefore, in my opinion, not that interesting as it is kind of desert like). I would prefer riding in the rain in the north over riding in the sun in the south. Nice places to ride are obviously the Teide and I really liked the hills/mountains/cliffs in the north west (search for 'Masca').

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Thanks. I saw your photos trychle. I'll be going there on a Dutch warship so expect I'll be in Santa Cruz. Hopefully I'll have time (and fitness after several months at sea) to tackle Teide.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Anaga is a fantastic place to cycle...

vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

sawyer

by sawyer

I've been there about 5 or 6 times with my bike.

I always stay in Los Gigantes - timeshare of relatives.

From there the riding is ... lots of fun but not for the feint-hearted.

There's a reason Sky train there!

When I say not for the feint-hearted I mean my regular morning ride would be 45km of climbing from sea level to the top of El Teide (2200m) followed by the same descending ... and then breakfast!

I rate that as the hardest climb I've done on an apples with apples basis. It is just so relentlessly long and exposed - the winds can have a huge impact. Cycling up a straight road 4km long with a headwind and 5% grade 2000m up takes discipline.

But you're a proper bike rider so you'll love it!
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I love climbs. 2000m over 45km doesn't sound too bad... kind of like a few rides I did in the Alps recently. I only have a couple days in Tenerife and will likely only have 1 day to ride.

Is there a MUST-DO ride?

trychle

by trychle

To the top of el Teide! The climb is nothing like the climbs in the Alps, you will see. Prepare for some hefty temperature changes (at around 1600m it is sometimes 20 degrees Celsius cooler than at the top and at sea level), and very diverse landscapes.

sawyer

by sawyer

xnavalav8r wrote:I love climbs. 2000m over 45km doesn't sound too bad... kind of like a few rides I did in the Alps recently. I only have a couple days in Tenerife and will likely only have 1 day to ride.

Is there a MUST-DO ride?

The must do ride is Teide. The moonscape up there on the plateau is awesome, and with a tailwind it can be a lot of fun.

Nice cafe up by funicular at 2200m.

So if you like climbing you'll love it.

But yes, it's more relentless than anything in the Alps. Closest I can think of is Boug D'Oisan to the top of Galibier which must be 1800m height gain over 45km? Nowhere near as exposed though. Wind can have a huge effect out there.

But awesome riding - I'm envious. Can't go this year as another baby is on it's way.

Ride out to Masca is worth doing also BTW. Some steep crazy stuff there.

sawyer

by sawyer

One other piece of advice Ted is to take new tyres and a couple of tubes (if you're on clinchers).

The roads are of variable quality. At their best, superb, but then suddenly you'll go onto a stretch that's like riding on the moon (I imagine).

Remember the whole island is a volcano and up at the top the roads seem to have lots of volcanic crap embedded in them - i.e. gets blown/washed onto the roads. It's tough on tyres.

That said, I last time I was there (a week in Jan 13) I rode new Conti GP4000S with no punctures.

Unfortunately aways have to ride clinchers out there due to the risk.

pastronef

by pastronef

which island would you suggest for best riding? Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura?

for best riding not just roads, I also mean easy transportation from and to airport, bicycle hire and hotels

I am thinking about swapping Girona (it was great last Feb) to some different and maybe warmer location next Feb

thank you

HillRPete

by HillRPete

For climbing Tenerife is probably the best, as per above. Fuerte is high on euro triathletes' list, because the conditions are similar to Kona (so I've heard). Windy, relatively flat, traffic not as excessive as other comparable destinations. Never been to GC.

Not sure about bike hire, but you'll find a hotel without problems anywhere on the Canaries.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

You can have splendid rides in all islands. Fuerteventura is more hilly than mountaineous. Gran Canaria has a little bit of everything. Tenerife is hard all the way.
The Teide (up to the cablecar) is absolutely recommended. I climbed it 3 times in 1 week. It killed me.
I did twice from Granadilla/Villaflor. This side has splendid asphalt and a lot of curves, but all with a good overview of what will come. You inevitably descend faster than cars. This was the highlight for me (together with Masca).
I did the Teide once from the guia de Isora side. This side has bad asphalt with many potholes. Not recommended for descending. http://goo.gl/maps/0MdjV
I have not done the Orotava side, but this must be very scenic, too. The TF-24 looks like it is following a ridge, so this should be excellent for the views.

Most rolling roads are quite busy with traffic. The roads up the Teide are usually very quiet in the early morning, and you will probably have less wind going up. Not so later in the day, when a lot of tourists with rental cars go up. But in general, it never feels overcrowded. The Teide is a unique mountain. It has one of the best calderas I have ever seen (and I have been to Mount Bromo). The TF-21 through the bottom of the caldera must be one of the best roads in Europe.
http://goo.gl/maps/AmtVi

pastronef

by pastronef

Dank je De Zwarten. I am looking on google maps, the south side, the road from San Miguel, Charco del Pino, Vilaflor up to the Teide, to the crossoroad of the TF21 and TF24

sawyer

by sawyer

pastronef wrote:Dank je De Zwarten. I am looking on google maps, the south side, the road from San Miguel, Charco del Pino, Vilaflor up to the Teide, to the crossoroad of the TF21 and TF24

Indeed. I'd echo De Zwarten's comment ... the road through the caldera is something else.

The TF38 heads west back up and then down the mountain ultimately to Los Gigantes. That's my regular climb/descent. Check it out ... long way down !!! :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com