Campy cassette into a Shimano hub possible?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

BobDopolina
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by BobDopolina

A Shimano cassette with Campagnolo der and shifter will not work. I hear people say it does all the time as I ride behind them listening to their noisy, clattering drivetrain.

It is sub-par at best.

Swap the freehub bodies and be done with it.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.
https://www.bdopcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

de zwarten

by de zwarten

So what you can do is the following:
1. fine tune shifting to the 5th or 6th sprocket.
2. set your der. range well, it will not over- or undershift. So you got the 5th, the 10th and the 1st (smallest) cog working perfectly.

The difference between 'perfect' and 'sub-par' will now be:
1st: perfect.
2nd: 0.6mm off
3rd: 0.4mm off
4th: 0.2mm off
5th: perfect
6th: 0.2mm off
7th: 0.4mm off
8th: 0.6mm off
9th: 0.8mm off
10th: perfect.
In other words, your center-to-center spacing is 3.95mm, and you will be off 20% at max on 2nd and 9th, 15% on 3rd and 8th, and 10% or less on the middle and outer cogs. Just try and see...

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

de zwarten wrote:So what you can do is the following:
1. fine tune shifting to the 5th or 6th sprocket.
2. set your der. range well, it will not over- or undershift. So you got the 5th, the 10th and the 1st (smallest) cog working perfectly.

The difference between 'perfect' and 'sub-par' will now be:
1st: perfect.
2nd: 0.6mm off
3rd: 0.4mm off
4th: 0.2mm off
5th: perfect
6th: 0.2mm off
7th: 0.4mm off
8th: 0.6mm off
9th: 0.8mm off
10th: perfect.
In other words, your center-to-center spacing is 3.95mm, and you will be off 20% at max on 2nd and 9th, 15% on 3rd and 8th, and 10% or less on the middle and outer cogs. Just try and see...

I'd agree that it's a matter of how well the missmatch works rather than if it works. Going with a 0.2mm error per shift, I'm curious as to why you think it becomes perfect at the 1st and 10th sprockets, when I'm thinking it's between 1.0 and 0.8mm away from perfect.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

de zwarten

by de zwarten

1st sprocket: der. cannot go further than just 'perfect', even if it would like to relax with no cable tension until 0.8mm off.
Same for 10th. If you set the der. range right, you just go from the not-so-perfect 9th to the 10th, and while your cable pull would like your der. to go further than just 'perfect', your der. setting is keeping it where it should.

gmitt98

by gmitt98

I just posted this in another thread but... bicimod.com has a spacer kit solution for that.

mrfish

by mrfish

If we agree it's an error of 0.2mm per shift, the fact is that this margin is well within the "error" of the mechanical system and manufacturing and assembly tolerances of the system, so it works fine. Just like any other RD, if you set it up properly there is no noise.

But if you feel mixing sushi and pasta on your bike gives you stomach ache then go for a consultation with your friendly LBS who will resolve your distress for a small fee.