Cervélo 2014 - Rumours / Details?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NYCPrynne

by NYCPrynne

Permon wrote:
eric wrote:
Ahillock wrote:Is the weight of the silver 2013 R3 frame in mid 900g range? Wonder if this new R3 could get into very low 900s or even break 900g barrier?

My original 2006 R3 was about 960g in 56cm. I'd hope they'd have gotten lighter since then!

My 2007 R3, 56cm was 930gr.....BUT my 2011 R3 (black/red) was 1040gr....

I could be mistaken, but I think that the earlier R3s (up to 2008??) were constructed of a higher grade carbon than the current models. The current R5 took the place of the early R3s with regards to pricepoint, and the current R3s are more of Cervelo's "entry level" model. I think that is why the later model R3s weigh more than the earlier R3s.

Permon

by Permon

Yeah, I would say R5 came to replace R3SL actually.
R3 (2011) was much heavier than R5 to make those 2 models more different.

Differences between R3SLs and R3 in 2007 was so tiny! Sometimes, if You were unlucky You could even get an R3SL almost at the same weight of an ordinary R3!
That was the reason to introduce ALL WHITE (heavy paint) R3 in 2008 to add weight and make the weight difference larger. :smartass: :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bicicleta

by bicicleta

And now the plot thickens............

People over at Cervelo forums are speculating this 2013 Dark R3 is just a limited edition end of year model, it's basically a way to clear as much inventory as possible
because that mold will become discontinued. They claim that for 2014 all the R line will be based of the RCA mold.

Now it makes me wonder if this is true, will the DARK R3 be a better deal than a supposedly R3-RCA internal routing frame, would the price of a completely new R3 jump considerably for 2014? What about weight?

Anybody remember the hint at the RCA developed with a fully hydraulic group in mind as well?

I guess we will know at Eurobike.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

I'm hoping for an S5 upgrade that would allow for internal routing of the a rear hydraulic brake. Now that Shimano has a Di2 lever with a hydraulic master cylinder that is the only thing stopping you from having a Di2, Magura setup...other than potentially vastly different size master cylinders and of course cost!!

53x12

by 53x12

So far the leading rumors/guesses look to be:

- limited edition 2013 R3 to clear out inventory
- new 2014 R3 with hints from RCA
- new 2014 R3 from R5 mold (before R5 gets updates from RCA)

Are there any that I missed?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

fogflip

by fogflip

From an inside source the R3 Dark is just a r5 with a a new coat of paint there will be a limited amount available in Europe. Expect new bikes but not available in the immediate future (dec? jan? feb?).

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Full bikes only for 2014 - no frame sales.

Permon

by Permon

Haha, good joke:-)
In that case I will never buy any other Cervelo..... :evil:
I do not want to run the Shimano / Sram s*h*i*t*s :mrgreen:
Actions like buying a full bike and stripping it off is not for me.

This strategy makes no sense to me. Cervelo earns the most on the framesets alone! Look at the price of R5 frameset, almost the same price as full bike equiped with SRAM Red!!!!!!
Why would they choose to ear a little bit instead of earning huge profits on framesets?!

ill principe

by ill principe

ghisallo2003 wrote:Full bikes only for 2014 - no frame sales.

Whats your source for this information? SInce I am in the market for a new Cervélo frame, there would be no need to wait for Eurobike for news, but rather start looking for discounts on current models.
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

maquisard

by maquisard

Very unlikely they would do that.

Besides, full bikes are often built and spec'ed by the local distribution channel in that country. For example there have never been any 'official' full bike builds in Europe other than individual builds by shops, however in the US/Canada the opposite is true.

sawyer

by sawyer

maquisard wrote: For example there have never been any 'official' full bike builds in Europe other than individual builds by shops, .

You sure about this?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Ahillock

by Ahillock

That doesn't make any sense to not sell framesets.

theloper

by theloper

I would to see Cervelo make the S5 with integrated brakes like the BMC TMR01. Even if it's not UCI legal, keep the current version as the UCI legal version and create another version that isn't if need be. Just like they did with the P5.......just made a different fork available for the tri / non UCI TT racers.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

NYCPrynne wrote:
Permon wrote:
eric wrote:
Ahillock wrote:Is the weight of the silver 2013 R3 frame in mid 900g range? Wonder if this new R3 could get into very low 900s or even break 900g barrier?

My original 2006 R3 was about 960g in 56cm. I'd hope they'd have gotten lighter since then!

I could be mistaken, but I think that the earlier R3s (up to 2008??) were constructed of a higher grade carbon than the current models. The current R5 took the place of the early R3s with regards to pricepoint, and the current R3s are more of Cervelo's "entry level" model. I think that is why the later model R3s weigh more than the earlier R3s.

The general consensus of the R3 gaining weight was that at the time the weight gain was necessary to support the price of the R3 SL. IIRC the earliest R3's were sub 900 grams. Then lots of paint, etc., were added in subsequent model years to distinguish the R3 from the R3 SL which was.... sub 900 grams and essentially the same bike.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NYCPrynne

by NYCPrynne

Mr.Gib wrote:
NYCPrynne wrote:
Permon wrote:
eric wrote:

The general consensus of the R3 gaining weight was that at the time the weight gain was necessary to support the price of the R3 SL. IIRC the earliest R3's were sub 900 grams. Then lots of paint, etc., were added in subsequent model years to distinguish the R3 from the R3 SL which was.... sub 900 grams and essentially the same bike.

I have attached a link from bike radar that implies that the earlier R3s and R3SLs were made of a higher grade carbon than the current R3s.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-cervelo-r3-team-ultegra-46498