ROLO sneak peek

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

Hi WW's,
hope that you won't find it too tacky to start a thread on our own bike here but the project was basically conceived in these pages so you are all really to blame. :wink:

Just wanted to give everyone a sneak peek here before we introduce our production model bike at Eurobike, where you'll find us at the 3T stand.

As some of you already know we will offer the bike in both custom lay-up, and if you want custom geometry. And yes the main triangle is a true continuos monocoque.

The weight for the lightest lay-up in a what we call a 364 (roughly a 52) is sub 600g, and we are showing a 375 (54/55) at the show that weighed in at 630g.
At the other end of the spectrum, the heaviest and stiffest 386 (56/57) is right around 700g. All hardware included. A typical 375 frame with fork comes in at sub 900g.

How stiff are they? The heavies stiffest lay-up ( we call it the Shire, a type of horse slightly larger than a Clydesdale) has been independently verified at a BB stiffness of over
90N/mm at the Zedler institute in Germany in a 56 meaning it is 26% stiffer than any other bike ever measured at that facility. The Shire comes with a 200kg weight limit.

Aero? They are about 13% more aero than the equivalent round tubed bikes.

(All of these claims will be elaborated at length in our forthcoming white paper.)

The bikes are completely hand built to order in Linköping Sweden by a true master artisan carbon builder. The frame on the pic is completely raw out of the mold.

Prices will be announced at Eurobike, but I can here say that the price for a custom lay-up they will be on par with the RCa.

rolobikes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sam

by Sam

8) proud to be Swedish.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

See this Lightweight. This is how it's done.

metanoize

by metanoize

Looks awesome, spec is awesome. But I'm afraid you're positioning yourself out of mainstream pricing, like what Serotta did with the Meivici. Other custom brands will reach these weights within 12 months at about 30% less price.

Can't wait to see the pix from Eurobike.

TimmS

by TimmS

I like what you are doing, but may I ask what the name ROLO is about?
To me it does not sound really attracting to buy a bike named ROLO.

No offence, but I'm just wondering.

olebole

by olebole

Sam wrote:8) proud to be Swedish.

+1

Yolo

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Hats off!
How many frames can you call which are 700 gram and have 200 kg weight limit?
I cannot see any, this frame will be perfect for Förstemann.
Experimental Prototype

tranzformer

by tranzformer

This is quite impressive. Job well done. Look forward to hearing more about the frame when more info comes out.

Pharmstrong wrote:See this Lightweight. This is how it's done.

Bingo. But LW hasn't done any thing innovative in ages. Just been living off their name and old reputation.

cnbky

by cnbky

that, at a half light, half stiff lay-up + sr11 mechanical + lightweight III + berk saddle/seatpost with matching weave....

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Interesting mix of unidirectional and woven carbon. Is that done for looks or is there more to it?
Nice looking frame BTW.

lechat

by lechat

Kinda looks like that Pedal Force frame that pops up everywhere. Ritt, November etc.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

metanoize wrote:Looks awesome, spec is awesome. But I'm afraid you're positioning yourself out of mainstream pricing, like what Serotta did with the Meivici. Other custom brands will reach these weights within 12 months at about 30% less price.

Hey, this is business - by your own estimation Rolo has at least 12 months to sell it at whatever price they can get. The market will decided if they have miscalculated. Beyond 12 months perhaps the brand by then will have earned enough equity with potential customers to deserve a substantial premium over similar spec'd frames.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I am interested in your choice of BB? With all those standards, it would be good to know where the smart money is.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

TimmS wrote:I like what you are doing, but may I ask what the name ROLO is about?
To me it does not sound really attracting to buy a bike named ROLO.

No offence, but I'm just wondering.

+1:

:shock:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

andy2 wrote:The weight for the lightest lay-up in a what we call a 364 (roughly a 52) is sub 600g, and we are showing a 375 (54/55) at the show that weighed in at 630g.

:shock: :shock: ... and... :thumbup:

andy2 wrote:Prices will be announced at Eurobike, but I can here say that the price for a custom lay-up they will be on par with the RCa.

Nice!
Since we're bringing the RCa up: what BB standard? As long as Rolo isn't running that darn BBRight...

The RCa does feature one trick that I am particularly keen on: the internal routing is immediately ready for mechanical, electronic, and hydraulic shifting. What is the drivetrain capability for the Rolo?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com