The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
kavitator

by kavitator

if anyone have more experience for :
1. for MTB wheel - are cx rays better becouse of theri flat surface at cross points? or there is no difference than wheel with sapim laser?

2. sapim superspokes - is really important to get NDS tension more than 70kg (so DS must be 130-150kg)? how can you build with them on Tune hubs if Tune has max 110kg on their hubs?

ryker

by ryker

CX-Rays will be stronger than Lasers. This owes to the extra manipulation during manufacturing rather than the character of spoke crossings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kavitator

by kavitator

arent cx rays just flattened lasers?

that proces could make them stronger - but almost all spokes braak at head or at nipple

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

kavitator wrote:1. for MTB wheel - are cx rays better becouse of theri flat surface at cross points? or there is no difference than wheel with sapim laser? 2. sapim superspokes - is really important to get NDS tension more than 70kg (so DS must be 130-150kg)? how can you build with them on Tune hubs if Tune has max 110kg on their hubs?

Lasers are just as strong as CX-Rays where it counts. CX-Rays are for aero and eliminating windup with high tension.

110kg max is silly... but no need to go much above that. Superspokes will stretch more than others, which should allow them to work with less tension before they go slack. I'd use them only on the NDS.
formerly rruff...

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Right, started building my new rear wheel!

Laced up and ready to tension...

Very nice!!

Edit; Tune state a 1000n (101kg) maximum tension on all spokes.

I intend to bring the drive side up to 100kg. Given this tension, what would be a suitable non-drive side tension? Any advice on this would be very welcome, as I want to get this wheel trued up and ridden asap!

Thanks.

bricky21

by bricky21

You don't have a choice with NDS tension. It's dictated by the hub geometry, and DS tension. As long as spoke tension is pretty even on each side, and the wheel is adequately stress relieved you shouldn't have any issues. Keep stress relieving until the wheel stops coming out of true.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I haven't run the numbers on that particular build but I fear 100kgf on the DS is going to produce an excessively low NDS tension.

kavitator

by kavitator

but if you buy Tune wheelset (MTB 26" as i remember . hubs KING / KONG) - spokes were at 140kg on DS

100kg is ok for more spokes and if rider is not too heavy - stans no tubes ztr crest rim has max 100kg tension. For now excellent wheelset from them!

I also ride 26" MTB wheelset with No Tubes Olimpyc rims - around 105kg max tension (2x32 spokes sapim laser) - hubs Novatec.
I am 82-85kg and still perfect and stiff

OwenJames

by OwenJames

I have contacted Tune directly about this and they inform me that he hub has a maximum tension of 100kg, so I should not exceed that.

The rim has a max tension of 125kg.

Also, I weigh 67-69kg.

I have been informed by the person who supplied the rim to me, and also built the original wheel that I took the rim from that 100kg will be fine.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

That's just CYA baloney from Tune. A hub that can't take 120kg on the DS has no reason to exist.
formerly rruff...

OwenJames

by OwenJames

OK cool. So what you thinking then, wind it up to 110kg or go up to 120kg fully?

kavitator

by kavitator

OK - sapim superspoke was develop specialy for Tune i guess

Sapim claim that is min tension 70kg on NDS - so on DS must be higher than 120kg

bombertodd

by bombertodd

How accurate do spoke lengths need to be?

Front calls for 275.6mm spokes
Rear calls for 288.2/284.5mm spokes

I used sheldon brown's calculator and wheelpro.

Thinking about using Sapim Race spokes. What length spokes should I order?
Last edited by bombertodd on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

eric

by eric

+- 1mm is good for brass nipples. You can probably go -3mm if needed.
I prefer to stay within -.5mm/+1mm for aluminium if I can. If the spoke does not support the head it can pop off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Thanks Eric. I'm looking at a 28/32 wheelset for everyday bashing. Should I lace the front radial?

Hub will be: http://www.bikehubstore.com/SL85W-p/slf85w.htm