Underrated Carbon frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Here's another satisfied Kuota owner (Kharma, KOM). NOS/used KOM frames in particular seem to be available at interesting discounts, given that it had been a World tour frameset until recently.

sawyer

by sawyer

TCR Advanced would go down as one of the most overrated frames for me.

Some of the jack of all trades master of none like the Look 586 would be likely candidates.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The answer can be basically any top-end-ish frame from a company that does not have the market reach of the other, more well known and distributed manufacturers or brands in the area where you do most of your riding.

I can only speak of ones that I have ridden, but I do trust some of the other frames that have already been mentioned.

-FM066SL Yes, an open mold frame. It isn't as light as first reported, but it rides remarkably well. Find someone who has one, ride it, you'll see.
-Fuji Altamira SL
-BH Ultralite
-LaPierre Xelius
-Look 586
-Raleigh Militis
-Simplon Pavo
-Litespeed L-Series (I rode an L1R, I'm guessing they're all similar)

(That said, I'm exceedingly happy with what I currently have and I'm in no rush to get anything new at this time. We all like to dream/discuss though.)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

dreaming and discussing is the fundamental reason this forum exists .
:)

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Part of the rating of such as frame would also include cost? Does the reason for pursuing this option result from wanting a frame that is very unique and not seen very often, or also saving on purchase price? That would change the list a wee bit, bringing the likes of an FM066L to the forefront and pricier frames (like a BH Ultralight - just to use two examples in Prend's post) a wee bit down.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Powerful Pete: that is a good point.

I would say yes the price is a factor. A Calfee Dragonfly or Parlee Z-Zero is out of the question.

Looking at what is possible to replace an old 2006 Cervelo Soloist Aluminum frame that I've been on for a very long time as a my do all/training bike. My other bike is a 2008 Cervelo SLC-SL built to sub 13 lbs.

The 2006 Cervelo I built to be 14.99 lbs exactly and use it for Weekday night crits. Early spring/early winter rides. Vacationing/traveling etc. It is no slouch, has EC90 SLX handlebars, 1st generation Sram Red, Chris King classic hubs from 1991 w/ Open Pro and CX-ray spokes I built up, original zerogravity brakes.

Would like to try something new for a training bike frameset that isn't a jewellery piece. Will just swap out the Aluminum Cervelo frame + fork for the new one. If I need to change the crankset because it isn't BSA external cups that is fine. It's a small detail.

53x12

by 53x12

I agree with the FM066SL frame, even though I have never ridden one. Hard to beat the price, weight and ride reports. Also based on where I live (USA), I think Canyon is a bit underrated. Partly do to the fact that we can't get it here? None of the guys I typically ride with know of the company or have even heard of it before. Around here, there are lots and lots of Treks and Specialized frames.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by 113245

Another vote for the Altamira. I got mine last year and am basically totally in love with it. Super responsive and snappy frame :)

liam7020

by liam7020

Absolutely +1 on the Simplon Pavo 3. I've been riding one since June - fantastic race frame. Also agree that the Chinese open mold frames should be considered. I have an FM015 which I use for trips abroad and they must be the ultimate bang for buck.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

uraqt

by uraqt

Going to be hard to do better than the Cervelo SLC-SL : )

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

Powerful Pete wrote:Part of the rating of such as frame would also include cost?

Which is precisely how I am amazed people could say a Giant is over rated - given what you get for the price.

As for a Chinese frame, of questionable safety, well...could be under rated for the danger they pose.

53x12

by 53x12

"As for a Chinese frame, of questionable safety, well...could be under rated for the danger they pose."

Do you have experience with said frame? Love how the bias continues yet the "name" brand frame made right next to it you are willing to say is safer and well worth +4x the cost.

Continue.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Cheers!

by Cheers!

There are so many choices and good suggestions. A friend sent me some ads for used Cannondale SuperSix evo hi mod for very low prices.

eric

by eric

I'm no CF expert but the finish and internal and external layup that is visible is better on my FM066SL than it was on my 2006 Cervelo R3.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

MarkTwain wrote:
Powerful Pete wrote:Part of the rating of such as frame would also include cost?

Which is precisely how I am amazed people could say a Giant is over rated - given what you get for the price.

As for a Chinese frame, of questionable safety, well...could be under rated for the danger they pose.

Haha, this is STILL the ruling train of thought to the average cyclist? Christ....

I've owned MANY name brand/high end frames. Current frame? FM066SL.

I've beaten the absolute shit out of this thing including regular 55+mph descents and not once have I thought "wow, I'd better slow down! This thing doesn't have the special 'big brand/not capable of breaking, paint job'"

They are made in the same factory as the biggest names in the sport. Same people making them, same ovens etc etc. Do you assume there is a company wide directive that reads "at 3pm when we start making open mold frames, do a real crappy job"?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com