Strava cheats.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:
Is it possible to cheat on a training ride?

Sounds like a trick question.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

53x12 wrote:
Tapeworm wrote:"Saddest of the sad are people who feel the need to cheat on something like strava.."

To grossly paraphrase Brecht's Galileo :-

"No, unhappy the lands who needs Strava."

Utterly pointless "cheating", even worse caring about it.

Bingo. Who cares if someone took your KOM. Sheesh what is this world coming to where we get our giggles from Strava, FB, Twitter...etc. Just get out and ride your bike because you enjoy it. Who gives a flying flip about a bunch of social media apps.

apparently sharing is the new 'thing' for people all around the world. personally i find it sad and disturbing that people need to add this 'social/internet' element to each and every part of their lifes. even mayonnaise products have their FB "fanpages". mayonnaise. fanpages. people actually 'talking' to eggs, ketchups, glues or sausages. if this isn't the end of the world as we know it, then i'm not sure i wanna know what's next...
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

People cheat on Strava. Locally I know of a few riders who will draft a dump truck or bus to get the fastest segment time. I have also seen rides posted that look suspiciously like they were done on a moped. And I'm pretty sure I've spotted a few digitalepo enhanced rides as well. It's called life, people are always going to cheat! I have raced against more than a few guys over the years who were doping, I've raced against guys who've been dropped on a circuit and cut the course and re-joined the pack to contest the finish, I've raced against guys who have been dropped in crits and taken a "mechanical" free lap too. All cheaters, and they would probably all "cheat" on Strava as well.

I'm slowly rehabbing from my early Strava addiction. I started using it in May 2012 and I was hooked. As a retired former cat 1 racer it was kind of fun to make riding into "racing" again, even though I am WELL AWARE what real racing is after doing it for 20 years. There were a few other strong guys using it locally and were having fun taking KOMs from each other all summer long last year. But this year things have soured for me. Firstly, I do see guys cheating as described above. There are more users in my area on Strava, so there are more group rides. Some group rides have become Strava takedown missions - the group's average speed for the ride is under 30 km/h but they hammer every flat segment in an effort to get the KOM. I can't imagine a more stupid group ride. I ride with mostly ex-racers and we ride nice and steady 2-up, and I never ever go looking for a KOM on a group ride and the guys I ride with would probably punch me if I did. Secondly, I have started to realize that Strava can be very detrimental to one's happiness if he is uber-competitive. I had some rides earlier this year where I was choosing my route based on wind conditions. I found myself finishing rides and not thinking about how much I enjoyed riding, but rushing my Garmin to the Mac to upload my data. Sheesh. So in the past 3 months I have started to rehab, I still use Strava because I like its interface and I like to compare my data to my previous data, but I have let go of the targeted KOM chasing and KOM defending. "My name is Joe and today is my 74th day without stressing about a Strava KOM".

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

if the bus is there or a car, go for it. living dangerously.

if it's a team car or team moped, and you are motorpacing, well dang.... u are a pro.

if it's a windy day, go it. Sucks to be the guy that had* a kom, but it's weather

generally speaking if it doesn't have hr or power data, and is suspicious i'll flag it ... after looking at the ride and seeing what the max speed was/is (which gives away most cars).

lastly....there is a site that actually modifies your data. That's cheating and seems like so much extra effort for some digital image of a trophy.

in summary #donttakestravatooserious

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Bigger Gear wrote:People cheat on Strava. Locally I know of a few riders who will draft a dump truck or bus to get the fastest segment time.

You consider that cheating? Is it cheating to ride a S5 on Strava rather than a CAAD? What about wearing an aero road helmet? Is that cheating? What about using Zipp or Enve wheels instead of some old box shape rims?

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

tranzformer wrote:
Bigger Gear wrote:People cheat on Strava. Locally I know of a few riders who will draft a dump truck or bus to get the fastest segment time.

You consider that cheating? Is it cheating to ride a S5 on Strava rather than a CAAD? What about wearing an aero road helmet? Is that cheating? What about using Zipp or Enve wheels instead of some old box shape rims?

I know, I know. This is why Strava borders on insane if one takes it too seriously. But I would say drafting dump trucks, running lights and/or stop signs starts to border on significant safety concerns. Part of the problem in my area is that people like to make segments on flat roads that are busy. And often across busy roads. Just seems stupid. As for the guys drafting dump trucks, well karma can be nasty when the driver does something unpredictable and the cyclist plows into the back of the truck. But in Canada, his healthcare is paid for by the taxpayers so....

Again, I'm on about step 7 of my Strava 12-stepper.

wingguy

by wingguy

53x12 wrote: Who gives a flying flip about a bunch of social media apps.

Well, apparently you give enough of a flip to get worked up about it on a completely different social forum.

But I'm not going to tell you to log off and go and ride your bike because no-one can do that for all 24 hours of every day, and whatever websites they enjoy visiting in the mean time is fine. Like Strava, great. Don't like Strava, great, but there's no need to belittle people that do - especially since you can bet there are whole bunch of people who think you take life too seriously just for having an account here.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

There is a 300m "climb" @ 8% right by my house. The KOM time is 0:31 at 37.2 km/h, 685w. Sound a bit suspicious to anyone?

aftereffector

by aftereffector

mellowJohnny wrote:There is a 300m "climb" @ 8% right by my house. The KOM time is 0:31 at 37.2 km/h, 685w. Sound a bit suspicious to anyone?

Nah, I do that on a 3-year-old's tricycle hung over from a late night out with my mates.

Kidding aside - 300m isn't particularly long and 37 kph isn't freakishly fast. I am pretty sure that is a human-attainable speed for the grade and distance, assuming a good long rolling start to get up to speed. I've done some stupid things for 30 seconds, like hold 570 watts just to see what would happen, and I am neither fast nor good at climbing.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

I've just been introduced to running Strava and used it once. I do a fair bit of running as well as the cycling and I'm fairly amused by people who take Strava seriously. My local area is very hilly and it's very easy to 'fiddle' a sector to get the best time, yet many people do it. I run, I cycle and I enjoy both of them. I'll use Strava again as a bit of fun but that's it. I'll never take it seriously, life is way too short for that! Besides, the GPS signal on my phone is rubbish! :D

Ahillock

by Ahillock

wingguy wrote:But I'm not going to tell you to log off and go and ride your bike because no-one can do that for all 24 hours of every day, and whatever websites they enjoy visiting in the mean time is fine. Like Strava, great. Don't like Strava, great, but there's no need to belittle people that do - especially since you can bet there are whole bunch of people who think you take life too seriously just for having an account here.

Are you seriously lamenting that someone has an opinion about Strava and arguing that their opinion is dumb and that your opinion is better? Don't see what the big deal is if someone doesn't like Strava/FB/Twitter...etc. I also think they are pointless. Opinions are opinions. There aren't any better than another unless it is the same as my opinion. :lol:

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

tymon_tm wrote:apparently sharing is the new 'thing' for people all around the world. personally i find it sad and disturbing that people need to add this 'social/internet' element to each and every part of their lifes. even mayonnaise products have their FB "fanpages". mayonnaise. fanpages. people actually 'talking' to eggs, ketchups, glues or sausages. if this isn't the end of the world as we know it, then i'm not sure i wanna know what's next...

I agree. I do not care if you just rode 100 km's. I don't get it. 20% of the facebook entries I see are now automatically entered messages that someone I know has just completed a ride or run. Why do you think that is interesting to me?

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

mellowJohnny wrote:There is a 300m "climb" @ 8% right by my house. The KOM time is 0:31 at 37.2 km/h, 685w. Sound a bit suspicious to anyone?

No. You just should train more.
685 W during 31 seconds is certainly doable.
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

asphaltdude wrote:

asphaltdude wrote:

asphaltdude wrote:

THIS.

if there is power lightning bolt associated with it, more than likely it's legit. Windy day....drafting car into the hill.... Strava gets wrong %grade at times....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ave

by ave

mellowJohnny,
Can you provide a link for that segment?