HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Zipp hub question
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:30 am
Posts: 779
Location: Simi Valley CA
I have a pair of 2011 pre Firecrest 303 and a pair of 2012 Firecrest 404.

Both wheels use the 88/188 hubs. Zipp states that only the 2012's are able to be converted to 11speed SRAM/Shimano.

What's the difference between the 2011 188 and 2012 188 that the 2011 can't be converted?

:beerchug:

_________________
eurperg wrote:
My wife is sitting next to me, and just thought that was a dildo, not a saddle.. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zipp hub question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 729
Different hub and design. The new ones require a re-dish and some work to convert them.

Just sell the ones you got and get the newer ones with 11sp already. Unless you really love them. Then do something like swap the rear 188 for an Alchemy ORC UL Rear 11spd Shimano hub. You won't be disappointed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zipp hub question
Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:56 pm 


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zipp hub question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:51 pm 
Offline
Shop Owner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:27 am
Posts: 1244
Location: McCall, ID
Zigmeister wrote:
Different hub and design. The new ones require a re-dish and some work to convert them.

Just sell the ones you got and get the newer ones with 11sp already. Unless you really love them. Then do something like swap the rear 188 for an Alchemy ORC UL Rear 11spd Shimano hub. You won't be disappointed.


^This.

_________________
http://www.zencyclery.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Zipp hub question
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:23 am
Posts: 322
Zen Cyclery wrote:
Zigmeister wrote:
Different hub and design. The new ones require a re-dish and some work to convert them.

Just sell the ones you got and get the newer ones with 11sp already. Unless you really love them. Then do something like swap the rear 188 for an Alchemy ORC UL Rear 11spd Shimano hub. You won't be disappointed.


^This.

And this ^^^^


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zipp hub question
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 am
Posts: 2722
Location: On the bike
Getter wrote:
I have a pair of 2011 pre Firecrest 303 and a pair of 2012 Firecrest 404.

Both wheels use the 88/188 hubs. Zipp states that only the 2012's are able to be converted to 11speed SRAM/Shimano.

What's the difference between the 2011 188 and 2012 188 that the 2011 can't be converted?

:beerchug:


Disregard what is said above about selling your FC404 wheels only to buy a new set designed for 11 speed. Why waste the money and lose money on the sale only to have to buy a new set again? Guys in the industry like Zen will recommend that of course. I say you do some experimenting and make it work with your 10 speed wheels. Read this thread below, especially the posts by elviento. Don't waste money having to sell your 10 speed wheels only to buy in again with 11 speed wheels. That is nonsense.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=107427&start=75

_________________
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HammerTime2, WMW and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Bora 35 Ultra, Zipp 202, Zipp 303 or LW Meilenstein ??

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

TonyM

23

1969

Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:03 pm

TonyM View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Zipp 188

in Everything wheels

0302

0

136

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:22 am

0302 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Corima vs Zipp

in Everything wheels

PrettyA

4

440

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:55 am

ico View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Zipp Disk Hub

in Everything wheels

rjsupgen

5

224

Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:46 pm

rjsupgen View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Zipp 404 Firecrest

in Wanted

nestornnk

0

64

Wed May 13, 2015 12:32 am

nestornnk View the latest post


It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:06 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB