Srm/quarq powertap drivetrain losses dispelled?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bantamben

by Bantamben

I always read that powertap measures lower than srm because of drivetrain losses . I thought that doesn't make sense as the hub and crank are always connected by the chain. So the srm should see the same drivetrain losses.
Here's my analogy.
Say you hooked up a dynometer to the front of an engine then disconnected or pushed in clutch and measured horsepower. You would get the power of the engine. Then you jacked up car in air put it in gear and tested again so you'd add the drivetrain losses. But on a bike like we where saying everything is always connected so it doesn't matter where it is measured along the drivetrain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bantamben

by Bantamben

Just to preface I'm looking for someone to prove me wrong as I Definately might be. Thought it might be an interesting topic.

maquisard

by maquisard

Unfortunately you are incorrect.

The crank and hub may be connected by a chain but there are losses in the drive train, i.e. stress in the chain rivets and losses through heat, sound etc. These losses must be over come by the power generated at the crank and so a hub based powermeter will read lower than the power generated at the crank.

Rick

by Rick

I think it is correct that there are losses between the crank and the rear hub.
But I don't think they are very much. I suspect it would be lower than the accuracy of either unit.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

5W - 10W in transmission (chain) losses?
http://www.friction-facts.com/ultrafast-overview

Bantamben

by Bantamben

Ah I kept thinking about it and finally came to the conclusion that even though they are linked by a chain. The location of the powermeter is the difference. Everything ahead of powermeter although experienced isn't measured. So for the srm chainrings its measuring everything after the spider. So this would include chain friction. But it would not include pedal bearings or bottom bracket bearings as they are ahead of the spider so if those frictions went up although you would feel it your srm wouldn't be measuring it. Just took me awhile to get it clear in my head.

brianwelchde

by brianwelchde

I have a quarq and was wondering which way is the best to calibrate the meter? Spinning the crank backwards 5 revolutions or calibrating it from the Garmin?

rijndael

by rijndael

*Best* is through the Garmin. IMO, the question is whether the backpedal is *good enough*.

joroshiba

by joroshiba

brianwelchde wrote:I have a quarq and was wondering which way is the best to calibrate the meter? Spinning the crank backwards 5 revolutions or calibrating it from the Garmin?
Agreed with the above and add that neither are actually a calibration, they are setting zero offset. In order to calibrate it you need a very precisely known weight and the ability to connect the "qalvin" android or iphone to your powermeter, or send it back to Quarq.

Ceebers1

by Ceebers1

I may be wrong, but I assume that the farther a power measuring device is mechanically from the source of the power will introduce variables such as flex, friction, heat,etc... that will make accuracy more difficult to obtain.

VforVonnegut

by VforVonnegut

DC Rainmaker typically sees a loss of 5-10W in his tests. I trust the guy as a guru.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvincere

by dvincere

Accuracy may suffer but you only need precision for proper training.