Carbon rims: Wear? What brake pads?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

XTC-Max

by XTC-Max

I figure many of you guys run carbon rims on their rigs. Do they wear out quicker in the mud? How about the braking performance in dry & wet races? and what brake pads do you use (cork or normal ones like e.g. red KoolStops)?

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

i've never had worn out carbon rims, they would have been destroyed when jumping hurdles or hitting roots at high speed before they wear out from braking. best solution so far is yellow swiss stop brakepads, but i don't know if they're available for v-brakes to fit your custom holders.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XTC-Max

by XTC-Max

and what about the braking performance? better or worse than alloy rims? i especially wonder about the stopping power in muddy races

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

braking power with swissstop pads is very good. the only problem is that i have different threads for different grounds(dry, frozen, sand, etc.), and not all my wheelsets are carbon rims. so if i have green swissstop on the bike i plan usind with alu rims and then have to switch, it takes another 5 minutes to change brake pads...yellow swissstop brake good with alloy rims, but wear out faster. best solution would be to have like 7 or 8 sets of lightweight wheels, only alu rim would be the road wheel to use for the trainer to warm up before the race...

XTC-Max

by XTC-Max

well honestly if i can afford 8 pairs of Lighties, then i will have a pair of Zipp 909 be my warm-up wheels :twisted: