Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Thanks... looks like a mix up at the factory most likely. I've now paid for shipping on a 42 and a 44.5 and I still don't know if a 43 or a 44 would fit best. Safest bet would be a 43.5 but they don't make one.

Anyone have an opinion on whether stretching or shrinking is likely to be most successful?
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

so few weeks ago got caught in a rain and got my self and shoes all wet, since then the shoes stink, maybe i should have dried them in a drier by hanging, instead i let them air dry, now they stink!!!
any advice on how to fix that, thanks

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Just ask Grandma! http://www.grans-remedies.co.nz/
I can vouch for its effectiveness.
Less is more.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

OT, but if shoes get wet pack them with crumpled newspaper. It pulls the moisture out and drys them much faster.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Rice works too although it takes a bunch and newspaper is cheaper....plus you really shouldn't eat the newspaper if your not drying with it
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

coloclimber wrote:A good soaking in a long rain ride did more for my Bont's fitting well than the 2nd and 3rd heat moldings.

Yep.

I mentioned the same, pages back :beerchug: Especially for the heel counter.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Another question...

I'm wondering about the top strap vs buckle on the A3. The strap doesn't cinch so it doesn't appear that it would do much... yet I haven't heard many complaints about it. In the beginning a lot of the A1s were sold that way also. Many in this thread mention that the straps don't need to be tight, in which case the strap is probably adequate. The buckle is nice in theory but there are complaints about it as well.

So... strap or buckle?
formerly rruff...

TimW

by TimW

:oops: I never saw this thread before

Got a pair of Bont Vapor limited editions yesterday (white but with black strap and over closure). I thought I'd try them out, much as I love Italian brands they are always too narrow around the toes and only fit me once they've stretched. I always have to wear at least 1-2 sizes bigger than I should have to.

Did the Bont measurement thing a few times to double check, went up a size from their recommendation (BONT recommends a 41 Euro, I bought a 42). Still a full size smaller than a Sidi.

Boy are these things tight to get on, but they feel like they could be good. Can't heat mold them until tomorrow as I don't have an electric oven, need to use a relatives.

My only concern is the height of the toebox, I'm hoping with some gauze and tape I can stretch that a little otherwise I'm going to wear down my toe knuckles. A couple of other places will need a little work, couple of plasters should do it.

Other thoughts, Bonts look a little umm...homemade. I like the idea of the big area on the sole for the cleat, instead of overhanging cleat. Having to put washers on my bolts for now to shorten them which is a bit poor. They should really supply extra short bolts and a user guide with the shoes, yet Bont go to the trouble of providing a shoe bag. I like the the lack of vents everywhere, should be easy to keep clean - useful here in the UK.

nfecyle

by nfecyle

Hi guys,

I bought a pair of A2, heat molded them , and have been using them for couple weeks now. While the overall shoes are perfect for me and love them, there is this one hot spot that I could not get rid of. Its on the ball of my left foot, where the cleat placed located below. Will remolding it help ? or maybe buy other insoles ? any advice is appreciated. I use speed play pedal system.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Likely an issue of the insole being too thin ( the original Bont ones are very thin) or that the cleat bolts are slightly peeking out.

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

I used to have an issue with the standard Look bolts poking thru the thin carbon sole and switched out to Shimano ones which solved that.
Speedplay come with two different length screws, so make sure you're using the black (shorter) ones..
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

nfecyle

by nfecyle

Thanks for the response.
I did make sure that there is no speedplay base plate bolt sticking out of nut. Also is it necessary to cover the nut inside the shoe? Upon observation, it is indeed that the original bont insole is very thin compared with my lake shoe. Moving my lake shoe insole into my bont seems to help. I purchased specialized blue insole today to see if it helps to alleviate the problem.

addicted

by addicted

nfecyle wrote:Hi guys,

I bought a pair of A2, heat molded them , and have been using them for couple weeks now. While the overall shoes are perfect for me and love them, there is this one hot spot that I could not get rid of. Its on the ball of my left foot, where the cleat placed located below. Will remolding it help ? or maybe buy other insoles ? any advice is appreciated. I use speed play pedal system.

Heat molding will not help. The molding doesn't reshape the bottom of the shoe. If it did, it would throw the cleat hole alignment out, etc. The sole is fixed.
I could never get used to the tub shape sole on mine, and the volume of the shoe is too shallow to fit in any meaningful size insole IMHO.
I know at about 10 local riders who tried Bonts, none are still using them. I know, small sample size, but still.....most of these guys use their shoes for 2+ seasons. The Bont's were ditched within a few months...

stubob

by stubob

stax wrote:
Liggero wrote:Any news about the new bont riot shoes availability?¿?¿

Riot and BOA closure Vaypors now at Sigma Sport. Sorry, I can't post a link from my phone as i am technologically inept.

Just ordered Riots to replace my Sidi Zetas, I'll keep you all posted.

If I don't like them, they're going back for Giro Trans.

LouisN

by LouisN

nfecyle wrote:Thanks for the response.
I did make sure that there is no speedplay base plate bolt sticking out of nut. Also is it necessary to cover the nut inside the shoe? Upon observation, it is indeed that the original bont insole is very thin compared with my lake shoe. Moving my lake shoe insole into my bont seems to help. I purchased specialized blue insole today to see if it helps to alleviate the problem.

It should.
I immediatly ditched my original Bont insoles, and used my Specialiuzed (red) ones instead, and evrything was super after. I had to cut a small portion of the Spesh soles to fit the Bont ones.

I switched my soles with Pearl izumi Pro 1:1 soles this year. Very nice and comfy, close to the Spesh BG reds.

I'm in my 3rd year with my A-1's, and I really like them now. I got used to how to adjust the fastening.
At first, I was tightening them too much, like a "usual" shoe, and got numb feet. When I loossened them, my feet moved a little too much (1-2 mm is too much) and hit the carbon "tub walls", and it was worst. Now I tighten them just enough so my feet don't "rock", and I can ride for hours without problems.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com