Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3, Zipp 202 or Zipp 303?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

benhama

by benhama

I presently run Dura-ace 7900 C24 Clinchers on my Trek Madone, and am looking for something with a bit more aero advantage, without adding too much weight to the wheelset. I am looking at clinchers only. My thoughts are presently centering around:

1) Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3
2) Zipp 202
3) Zipp 303

I weigh in at a mere 180lbs ☺ and my rides usually involve short sharp hills, rather than anything akin to an Alpine climb, and then undulating. My questions are:

1) Bearing in mind the weight of my existing wheelset, will I really notice any difference when climbing?
2) What sort of speed advantage might I expect to see on downhills and on the flat from the new wheels?
3) I read quite a bit about build quality and reliability issues on the Zipps in the past, what are they like these days?
4) There are not many review of the Bontrager wheels,;why is this and can anyone provide any first hand experience?
Thanks

pushstart

by pushstart

Re #2, someone may be able to give you a more scientific answer, but I would not expect to see any meaningful difference in speed on relatively short descents. Considering that aero wheels might save you a minute on 40k TT, you are only maybe looking at a fraction of a mph. Unless you race time trials etc. buy the deep wheels because they look cool, not make you faster.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sspring

by sspring

I suggest this as its almost identical to Zipp 303 FC....i have a set on order
http://www.light-bicycle.com/U-shaped-R ... tible.html

or this if you don't like the idea of the Chinese copy. these are original designed by NovemberDave who posts here. Nice guy and seems to have a nice wheel.....
http://www.novemberbicycles.com/rail/

or this one
http://www.boydcycling.com/products/44mm-clincher.html

Personally I think its cool having something different so that is why i posted the options for you.

Honestly I think you could go with any of the 3 wheel options you asked about. All of em are nice obviously.

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

Thanks for those links, I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP.

Don't wanna hijack the thread, but can anyone give an informed opinion as to how aerodynamics would be of the Chinese copies vs the more expensive wheels.
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Personally I think your 7900 are a better wheelset than the choices that you have posted, best on hills, best on flats (great hubs).
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Are you looking for clinchers or tubulars? Because if hills are an issue, I wouldn't waste a second with any clinchers unless they were full carbon like Reynolds RZR, Mad Fiber, Mavic etc...that are under 1200gm range.

Any of those wheels are fine though except the 202 IMO.

Better off getting a slightly deeper profile, at not much weight penalty, and get much better aerodynamics from them.

benhama

by benhama

I managed a quick spin on a bike with a pair of Aeolus on today, and can't say that I was as impressed as I thought I would be. They certainly didn't appear to accelerate any better than my C24s. I didn't get the chance to try them out properly on hills or on the flats, but first impressions would suggest that Oreoboreo & Pushstart appear to be right on the money. Indeed I may save myself some, so thanks guys.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

the aeolus and zipp wheels will make their presence felt is when dealing with cross winds. your C24's may actually be lighter than the wheels you are looking at, but do not have the wider width or the cross section that will help you in the wind.

benhama

by benhama

Fijigabe, you certainly look like you like a Trek :) Thanks for your input.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I certainly do love Trek, but most of my bikes ride on Reynolds wheels ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com