Road biking in Shanghai

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Hi,

We are moving to Shanghai per Oct.

Anybody knows if we can bike there???

Pascal
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

micky

by micky

There are many cyclists in Shanghai althought not been there personally.
You could contact the bike shop Chain Sprockets and ask to join any group ride.

http://www.chainssprockets.com/?lang=en

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Thanks!
Contacted them... good to know there is at least a higher end shop in SH on road bikes... so must be bike able (depending on the smog)....

Lets see what they come up with.
Pascal

2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)

micky

by micky

There are some other high end bike shops but I honestly forgot the names.
If you're keen to race, they have often road races.

moman

by moman

There are nine million bicycles in Beijing
That's a fact,
It's a thing we can't deny

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Peking is also quite far away from Shanghai ;-) A bit too far to bike...
We also can't deny that...
Pascal

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

I will take my C59 with me to SH!
Pascal

Rick

by Rick

When I visited China (GuangZhou region) my thought was simply: "No way you could ever train in China".

There are zillions of bicycles....all junkers traveling 8 mph; and all the roads are clogged with chaotic traffic of all sorts. You could not ever get up to a "training effort", and even if you did a moped carrying 12 skinned goats would pull out and hit you from the side.
But maybe locals have some secrets. Good luck !
I was there for a month twice. But I completely abandoned any idea of cycling. It was hard enough to go for a jog safely.

In China they definitely DO NOT have the concept of "right of way" (or even "traffic laws"). It is purely "might makes right". There will be no investigation, or lawyers, or police if you get hit. It will just be "your bad karma". So be really cautious!

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Rick, you are right... also my view... but I found some links to real cycling clubs etc in Shanghai... so they do train and even have races!
I will check it out during our pre-visit in 1 week...

Also via Garmin you can see quite a lot of trainings in the middle of Shanghai...
They start very early (0600AM) trainings... nice to see temp go up... start at 29C and end at 0930AM at 42C ;-)
Pascal

micky

by micky

Rick, I've been twice to the Guangzhou area and been cycling both times thanks to local friends.
It can be tricky but it's worth to try cause there are some places that normally people wouldnt see.

So at first I would look out for some local cyclists or group rides to go around in safer area. :beerchug:

Rick

by Rick

I'll be going back again next year. I will try to do some research and make contacts ahead of time. Thanks ! (But I remain skeptical :mrgreen: )

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

If you are used to cycling desolate US roads and parks places like Shang High and other crowded cities would not be a good experience. On the other hand people that have grown up in such cities they are used to how the traffic flows and are fine with it.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Rick

by Rick

I have actually been through downtown NYC. I suspect that if you have not been to China you have no idea of what crowded chaos really means :D
Just speculating though. It is completely different than anything in the USA. :beerchug:

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Over crowded is one thing but not following traffic laws is another. I have not been to China but I can tell you some European countries that rival this. Not following traffic laws by motorists might be the fear here.
My friend has been in Shag High for a year and he rode his bike during that period there. He is from NYC and he was not overwhelmed by the setting.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

stella-azzurra wrote:Over crowded is one thing but not following traffic laws is another.

Yeah. I felt like I could deal with the "overcrowding"; but they don't seem to care at all about traffic laws. Wrong side of the road; cut straight across road; driving on the sidewalks. .....one taxi driver crossed over and drove against traffic ON A DIVIDED HIGHWAY just so he could make better progress. This was with me and other passengers in the taxi! It was a level of total disregard for "law", "courtesy", safety....and even "sanity" that I couldn't comprehend!
Another taxi driver was driving about 60 mph and doing broadslides around ox carts (literally!) on a winding dirt road.
I did all my jogging inside a park. ;)