Lightweight makes a frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

micky

by micky

I was thinking that I had already seen a similar shape and then remembered this from our own Berk. :D

a67b

by a67b

Yes!!
it's a first think for me.. it's very similar near top tube and down foders.
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to quote picture. PP

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

Good call Micky...... prefer the Berk Logo too!

konky

by konky

metanoize wrote:@konky

R5CA and RCA are proof of concept bike models researched/designed and built by the Cervelo R&D to to show what can be done in mainstream bikes. Cervelo will pick through the RCA model parameters and will choose the most profitable/marketable of ideas and will pass them to the teams responsible of mass producing the next gen in China.

I don't think you can mass produce carbon bikes anywhere in Europe/US at reasonable price point. Nobody has the tooling, infrastructure or trained workers.

Metanoize

I may be wrong but the R5 and the RCA look rather similar except the latter is lighter, I guess due to the layup. Some report greater stiffness but that must be due to layup also. The best Chinese manufacturers will do any layup that's asked of them and make them in small or large numbers as required. It is neat that the RCA is made in CA but Cervelo could just as easily have had it made in China to at least the same standard. Sorry but I can't see what can be gained from home manufacture. R&D and manufacture are two different things. Cervelo can learn from R&D regardless of where they manufacture.

53x12

by 53x12

trychle wrote:I LIKE! although the chain stays are really out of proportion to the seat stays..

Doesn't look that bad. R3 was more drastic in terms of the thickness of the chainstays and the thinness of the seat stays on a carbon bike for the times.

Mattias Hellöre wrote:LightWeight could make it much better than this weight 790 gram, it is 2013 now. Sorry but I expected a lighter and stiffer frame when at least two manufacturers list their frame at least 100 grams lighter.

The looks are very similar some chinese frames, wonder if they bought rebranded frames like many others do today?

Mattias, exactly my thoughts. Nothing special here to see in terms of weight or design. Time to move along. Just "name brand" recognition for those that are interested. If I was going to spend $6k on a new frame, this wouldn't even make my top 5 list. Sorry LW, try again.

btompkins0112 wrote:Rip-off.....give me a RCA and save some $$. I think their wheels are more likely than not a rip-off also, but that's going to get me flamed on here.

You won't hear me disagree. I agree 100% that LW wheels are a big rip-off and over hyped.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Curious to read some reviews when someone is actually able to ride the thing.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

53x12

by 53x12

Yes we will need reviews of the frame, but from the data we have now, weight and price, the likes of Crumpton, Parlee, RCA, Evo Black and others beat it either on weight, price or both. All of those also have great reviews. If it was my money, I would be all over a Crumpton or Parlee myself. Don't see how LW has pushed any boundary any further. I thought those guys were CF gurus. Guess they have to resign to the fact that Asia has surpassed even Germany in terms of CF layup and design. This bike should have been handmade in Germany. Sad they couldn't even do that. I would have hoped LW could have built a 620-630g frame themselves. Guess not.

Even Berk's bike looks nicer imo than this. I would go that route over LW frame each and every time.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Powerful Pete wrote:Curious to read some reviews when someone is actually able to ride the thing.

:thumbup:

CarbonSportsGmbH
in the industry

by CarbonSportsGmbH

Mimizk wrote:Does anyone know their geometry?

=> please wait until the official launch at Eurobike 2013 End of August

HammerTime2 wrote:[...]are you only able to use that monolink seatpost, and hence a monolink saddle, and hence it's goodbye to your favorite non-monolink saddle? On the other hand "The Urgestalt seatpost is an all-new design built around a Monolink saddle. Looks like the post binder bolt is hidden under the top tube, just in front of the seat tube.", so post binder bolt implies not an ISP, so maybe you can use a standard seatpost and hence saddle?

=> we'll offer a full set of spare parts with the frame, including both types of clamps - the one for monolink-saddles and the one for classic saddles. So no worries...you'll be able to ride on on your favourite saddle!
Andreas Schiwy, CarbonSports GmbH
http://www.lightweight.info
support[at]lightweight.info

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

So far this looks more "ungestalt" than "Urgestalt"...

(Ungestalt would translate to monstrous, deformed, etc.)

BmanX

by BmanX

I love when a new item comes out BUT they are all starting to look the same. The days of big jumps in innovation are over. I would love to see a ride review but lets face it, there are a dozen other bikes that fit in this realm and I see nothing that stands out that I would say "OH MY GOODNESS, I HAVE TO HAVE THIS" I could buy several other (complete bikes) for this price and they would be just as light and ride (maybe) as nice or nicer.

I would hope for something different from LIGHTWEIGHT that makes their new frame standout!
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

tranzformer

by tranzformer

So what reasons will Lightweight give consumers for why they should buy their frame? Because of low weight? Nope, not even close to the leaders in the field. They are several years (5-6 years) behind on this front. Because of superior ride characteristics? Doubtful this will ride so much better than any of the other top frames in the market? Because of being handmade in Germany? Nope, made in Asia. Because of the great value to performance of the frame? Nope, seems they have priced themselves out of the WW market with a subpar frame weight wise and charging $$$ for it. At this price, I would rather go with a AX-Lightness, Storck or even Canyon if I wanted a "German" frame.

Just about anyone can do sub 800g frames nowadays. The new thing is sub 700g and it appears LW can't do that. Time to move on, nothing to see here. LW is of a bygone era.

ave

by ave

They can charge as much as they like, I think. So it's actually quite cheap.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

I have been waiting and hoping that Enve eventually decides to design their own frame. Yes, I know they provide the tubes to many custom bike builders. That is why I have always hoped they would make a frame. If they can do to frames what they have done to wheels, well that would be exciting.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

tranzformer wrote:So what reasons will Lightweight give consumers for why they should buy their frame? Because of low weight? Nope, not even close to the leaders in the field. They are several years (5-6 years) behind on this front. Because of superior ride characteristics? Doubtful this will ride so much better than any of the other top frames in the market? Because of being handmade in Germany? Nope, made in Asia. Because of the great value to performance of the frame? Nope, seems they have priced themselves out of the WW market with a subpar frame weight wise and charging $$$ for it. At this price, I would rather go with a AX-Lightness, Storck or even Canyon if I wanted a "German" frame.

Just about anyone can do sub 800g frames nowadays. The new thing is sub 700g and it appears LW can't do that. Time to move on, nothing to see here. LW is of a bygone era.

Are you in the market for a "sportive" frame and do you have deep pockets? If not look elsewhere.... :lol:

From what I gathered so far CS enters the frame building world with what sounds like an upmarket design targeted at the well-off amateur looking for a comfortable long distance frame with little or no aspirations for battling.
In that context it does not need to be all that light, it needs to be comfortable in the long run.

IOW, it's a bit early days to judge and dismiss something just because on the surface it does not seem to fit into the frame (sic) set of a pure sang race rig and as such it looks disappointing to the hard core race oriented WW.

Could be wrong. It's anybody's guess at this point in time.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com