Light tubular tire?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

I was thinking of buying tufo S3 lite < 195, but in a thread I saw that there is also the tufo elite jet < 160...is this tire suitable for long (150km) races?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RIDE

by RIDE

Wow....I am going through this exact same decision and almost posted this question here the other day.

My dilema is that I own a pair of 303 tubbies with Tufo Elite roads mounted to them. Since I need a new set of tires I figured why not make the most of my 303s and get some lighter tires. I really only ride the wheels for about 3 -4 months out of the year, and consider my treat and incentive to get into good shape by summer.

So....my concern is about how well the Jets ride and handle as well as how durable they might be.

Anyone out there using them??

Thanks,

RIDE

KB

by KB

I use the Tufo Elite 160's and their tubular ckinchers on another pair of wheels. If you've got a pair of 303's they need light tyres. I have the Tune's with the ZIPP rims on them. Very fine tyres.

JTC

by JTC

Great tires! Ride is great. Fastest tire I have ever been on (inflate them to 160psi +). Wear is not great for the 195's and lower, but about what you can expect from a light tire. I would only use the 160's on the front. I am running a 160 on the front of my 303's with no problems, but don't but the back is a different issue.

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

I use the Elite Jets on my shamals, and they were awesome last season. Road races, or crits, handled them both just fine.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

do the S3 Lite<195 flat easy or are they durable enough for light training?

PNuT

by PNuT

i use the 135 gram ones :twisted:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JTC

by JTC

do the S3 Lite<195 flat easy or are they durable enough for light training?

I think the price makes them not worth training on. If you can take tan side walls get a set of S33's for training. www.sdeals.com has them for less than $20 each. The S33 Specials are good for training as well, but a little more expensive.