Lightweight makes a frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tharmor

by tharmor

"The new Lightweight Urgestalt road bike frame has just been unveiled, but full details aren’t coming until Tuesday. For now, we’ve got a bit of info:

Frame has a claimed weight of 790g for size 54, and a frameset weight of just 1,340g including the fork, headset and their new seatpost. For a superlight frame, it makes some interesting spec choices, like PF86 bottom bracket and a full 1-1/8″ to 1-1/2″ tapered steerer, neither being the lightest option but certainly appreciated.

Urgestalt translates as “archetype”, which means a typical example of a genre, suggesting it’s the standard by which road bikes can now be judged…

Nice shaping and clean lines are kept beautiful with hidden ports for either mechanical or electronic drivetrains.

The PF86 bottom bracket pushes the frame all the way out to the cranks for a cleaner look and wider footprint for the chainstays and downtube. That, plus their blend of high modulus fibers, layup pattern and special resins (taken from their experience making carbon rims) creates a system designed to effectively transfer your power directly to the rear wheel.

But, that efficiency shouldn’t come at the expense of comfort these days, and Lightweight says the frame and geometry are designed for the long distance sportive rider.

The Urgestalt seatpost is an all-new design built around a Monolink saddle. Looks like the post binder bolt is hidden under the top tube, just in front of the seat tube.

Fork weight with uncut steerer came in around 318g on their scales. It, and the frame, will fit up to 25c tires.

The frameset carries a max rider/parts weight limit of 120kg (264lbs), will retail around $6,500 to $6,750 USD and be available at the end of October. More as we get it!"

Via BikeRumor ::

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/08/10/lig ... ady-frame/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trychle

by trychle

I LIKE! although the chain stays are really out of proportion to the seat stays..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mimizk

by Mimizk

Nice shape.

Does anyone know their geometry?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Just in time to fill the gap left by Serotta's demise.

Is that an ISP, and are you only able to use that monolink seatpost, and hence a monolink saddle, and hence it's goodbye to your favorite non-monolink saddle? On the other hand "The Urgestalt seatpost is an all-new design built around a Monolink saddle. Looks like the post binder bolt is hidden under the top tube, just in front of the seat tube.", so post binder bolt implies not an ISP, so maybe you can use a standard seatpost and hence saddle?

knef

by knef

looks beefy, I like it :thumbup:

kode54

by kode54

HammerTime2 wrote:Is that an ISP, and are you only able to use that monolink seatpost, and hence a monolink saddle, and hence it's goodbye to your favorite non-monolink saddle? On the other hand "The Urgestalt seatpost is an all-new design built around a Monolink saddle. Looks like the post binder bolt is hidden under the top tube, just in front of the seat tube.", so post binder bolt implies not an ISP, so maybe you can use a standard seatpost and hence saddle?

similar clamp area like the Storck Aernario...under top tube. wonder if the saddle clamp is similar to Enve's.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

Last edited by Pharmstrong on Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

They might as well sell it with a wheelset too, as anything other than LW's really isn't going to look quite 'right'.

Don't mind the aesthetics of it, quite nice.

Pharmstrong - LW are many things, 'cheap' never one of them.

tharmor

by tharmor

Tinea Pedis wrote:They might as well sell it with a wheelset too, as anything other than LW's really isn't going to look quite 'right'.

Couldn't agree with you more. However, then you're looking at a $12,000 price point and you'd still need a drivetrain, etc.

Anyone whose already made up their minds about this frame will be easily looking at a $15,000 bike.

*Edit*

Picture of complete build from Road.cc, including LW wheels, and Campy ::

Last edited by tharmor on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Lot of $$ to drop on a 1st generation bike!
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

LightWeight could make it much better than this weight 790 gram, it is 2013 now. Sorry but I expected a lighter and stiffer frame when at least two manufacturers list their frame at least 100 grams lighter.

The looks are very similar some chinese frames, wonder if they bought rebranded frames like many others do today?
Experimental Prototype

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

@Tinea, oh for sure, but when you have another German manufacturer putting out a 'stiff 790g' frame for 45% of the price I can't help but point it out.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmm, I actually really like the looks of this frame, for the same reasons I like the looks of Colnagos; the general lines of the frame are clean, straight and consistent. No funky hidden hard to adjust brakes. Nothing too proprietary, except for maybe that seat tube binding bolt (would want to know more about that). Can't see how the derailleur cable routing is being handled, don't see any stops or even openings in the downtube. See a hole for electric front derailleur wiring (please don't forget about mechanical). As for the pressfit bottom bracket... oh well, might as well get used to that going forward.
But overall I really like the design. Whether I'd plop myself on something that light remains to be seen, however. Will look forward to seeing some geometries then ultimately a ride for real world feel. Although I can't see how I'd ever to get to ride one without buying it. It does look a little less generic than a lot of offerings these days which is nice. Kudos.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Mattias Hellöre wrote:LightWeight could make it much better than this weight 790 gram, it is 2013 now. Sorry but I expected a lighter and stiffer frame when at least two manufacturers list their frame at least 100 grams lighter.

The looks are very similar some chinese frames, wonder if they bought rebranded frames like many others do today?

Yeah I'm waiting for a dengfu version!
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tharmor

by tharmor

Shocking and disappointing ::

"Unlike Lightweight’s wheels that are all made in Germany – and they’ll continue to be made in Germany in the future – the Urgestalt is made in the Far East to keep the price down. It’s still far from cheap (see below) but it’s a whole lot less than it would be if the production was done in Germany. Plus, there’s a whole lot of expertise in carbon-fibre frame production in Asia. Lightweight are keen to point out, though, that they’re not simply sourcing a frame mould and slapping their name on the down tube. Far from it..."

Cervélo makes the RCA in California. Where is the Evo Nano from Cannondale made? And what is the weight of that new Storck frame?