BikeHubStore TB 415 alloy tubular rim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bricky21

by bricky21

Was wondering if anybody has built with these yet. What were the impressions as far as quality, finish, stiffness ect.

Every time a new alloy clincher comes out there is always a chorus "how about a tubular version" "we need more alloy tubular options".

This rim seems to fill the void left after Hed decided not to sell low spoke count Belgium rims to the public. So how about it who's used these, and what do you think of them?

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

I somehow missed this post, despite being right in the middle of making a decision for my CX wheels this year. I've been in touch with Brandon at BikeHubStore, and he shared some very good information obtained from a large scale builder on the East Coast who took a look at the rims and compared them to Velocity's Major Toms.

The gist of the info is as follows....

Re: profile; The width is app the same, however, the TB415w has a more rounded outside edge of the tire bed, and a correspondingly slightly smaller center curvature. The overall depth of the tire bed is the same, between the two. What this means is that while the Major Tom is not a good fit for road tubulars under 28mm wide, the TB415w matches up better, allowing down to 25mm road tires without gaping at the edges. Apparently the profile still matches up very well with the wider CX rubber. So, to me, sounds like best of both worlds there.

Re: strength; The builder says that his Major Tom builds are 24/28, at least. However, he does feel that for lower rider weights, 20/24 on these rims with a wide front hub should be fine. However, this is not a post-build observation, just a gut prediction. For me, based on my experience with less structurally-ideal clinchers of a similar profile (Velocity a23s), I'd be suprised if a 20/24 build wasn't perfectly fine for a lighter rider with good hub geometry. ymmv.

I will report back with my experiences, post build.

(moderators, this thread should probably be moved to "everything wheels")

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

I went ahead and overlayed the two profile images. Based on the scaled drawings, the biggest difference is the curvature at the outside of the rim bed and the overall depth of the rim. The earlier paraphrased observations don't appear to be as accurate with regards to the curvature of the rim bed. But this is just the drawings, and the actual extrusions could be a touch different...

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

I posted this over at VS from Brandon at BHS, and it matches what was posted above...

Hi Keith,

My test builder had the following comments about the TB415, which are more informed than any I could give you. Take a look. It was designed with cross and wider tires in mind. In many ways, it's a Major Tom clone.

Best,
Brandon

"I did take a look at your new 23 alloy tubular specifically to see how well a 25mm road tubular fits on the rim. The other night I dry mounted a 25mm Tufo road tubular on the rim to see if it would work as a road rim.

Your wide alloy tubular rim is extremely similar in every respect to the Velocity Major Tom which I have used building alot of cross wheels. However, there are some subtle differences in the shape of the tire bed. The outer (convex) edge of your 23 tubular rim seem to have a slightly larger radius (more rounded), and the concave rim bed seems to have a slightly smaller radius. The vertical depth of the rim bed at center seems to be the same. The net result is that a 25mm Tufo tubular road tire seems to fit OK whereas with the Velocity Major Tom, there is a tiny wedge of space between the rim bed at the outer portions of the rim. The difference is quite subtle but from my initial inspection it seems that your rim will work with a 25mm tire whereas the narrowest I would go with a Major Tom is 27mm tire. I’m quite sure a 23mm would not fit well on your rim a 24mm would be questionable.

All of the Wheels I've built with Maj. Toms have been for cross and have been built either 24 or 28 front and 32 rear and have been plenty strong. However, Toms are not as stiff as the Hed Adennes wide tubulars which I've used for lower spoke count alloy tubulars. I've never built lower spoke count with Toms. I would expect your rim to have similar strength/stiffness to Maj. Tom. Not clear whether the rim is strong enough for a 20 front/24 rear for cyclecross or heavy rider. My gut feeling is that using wide front hubs and 8-16 lacing in rear, a 20-24 build should be plenty stiff for small to medium size riders and perhaps a heavier rider such as myself.

Assuming they are stiff enough for a 24h rear build, You might consider getting some (or all) of the 24 H rims in the next batch center drilled which works better for 8-16."

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

I have a pair of these sitting in the house right now. My initial impressions are that they look quite nice, but I'm not planning to actually build them up for a couple of months. I threw a 22mm tire on one as that is what I had sitting around and it wasn't exactly pretty. A wider tire would surely be advisable. I have run 22mm tires on my 23mm wide carbon tubs just fine, but they don't fit the alloy rims nearly as well. The pair I bought are 20/24 and the 24h rim IS center drilled.

Now for the info we all really care about around here:
20h = 415.4g
24h = 414.6g

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Dear BHS, please offer this rim with a non machined braking surface for disc brake wheels. Seems like a great rim for the price
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

Mine are in the mail. I'll update with images and details once they arrive. The build also includes BHS SL210 and SLF85w hubs, so I'll be able to comment on them as well.

bricky21

by bricky21

Cool. Looking forward to some feedback on the quality of them :thumbup:

LouisN

by LouisN

If you're looking for a dedicated road tubular rim for tubs below 27 mm, the TB415 is not it.

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=118331

If all the WW's and cyclists all over the planet get together, maybe we can get some manufacturer to think about producing one...

Louis :)

bricky21

by bricky21

I thought it was good to 25mm tires?

LouisN

by LouisN

Can't speak about the BHS rim, but I had Major Toms, and I can say even with 25mm's it's not the best fit. Rim bed too flat.
Hence my search for a "new" alloy tubular rim shape that "marries" both road tubulars and rims the same way as their carbon couterparts...

Louis :)

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

I got my set of these built up tonight. I can take some pictures tomorrow. They built up very easily, though they still need trued, but they were nicer to work with than the XC-279s I build up recently. I threw a pair of 25mm Corsa SC tires on them and they actually look to sit in the tire bed quite nicely. I think they will be just fine with 25mm tires.

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

I've built 5 of these now... Raced on them last weekend and tomorrow. Awesome CX rims. I've got a boat load of pics, and am putting up a post/review of the BHS hubset and these rims. Not sure about road use, but I have not built with a nicer (al) rim.

Keep an eye out in "everything wheels" for the thread, and Mods, this should probably be moved there as well!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com