The 'noisy wheel' thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Could the bearing caps be rubbing?

About a year ago, I started getting a noise out of my front wheel that sounds like the wheels is rubbing against the brake. I checked and checked and no brake rub. Upon closer inspection, I figured the sound was coming from the hub.

I put a little oil onto the bearing caps and the noise stopped.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cezinho

by cezinho

Thank you for the hints.
I decided to put some tape between hole and valve and the noise seem to be stoppoed.

Lets see if it come back...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

charliew

by charliew

I had a similar problem with a Mavic CC80 front wheel. Eventually I solved the problem by turning the wheel round. I'm still not sure what the problem was/is but now I can't hear it so I'm happy (sort of).

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

Have you checked your QR skewers? I shipped my bike when I moved house and one of my skewers was bent ever so slightly in transit. Symptoms exactly as you describe. Roll them across a flat surface and you should notice if they are not straight.

civdic

by civdic

I had the same problem. My front tub was not stuck down at the valve stem. It had a sticky clicking sound. Drove me nuts. Ended taking the tub off and slowly filing away the valve hole. Problem solved. I'd do the rear wheel some day as well. Tires are Vittoria Corsa and the wheels are DA C35.

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

impressive detective work guys..
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

cezinho

by cezinho

My tubular tyre is vittoria 320tpi, i ended up putting some plastic around the valve and tapped iy.

Problem solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regret

by Regret

Having travelled the web in vain for possible answers I hope maybe someone here has a suggestion for me:

Fulcrum Racing 0 wheels.
Softish ticking sound, but not all the time. Generally never at the beginning of rides, and not every ride. Only when a certain speed is reached. Frequency is in sync with wheel speed and also occurs when freewheeling. Sitting, standing, makes no difference.

Cannot reproduce on stand.

It's not the magnet hitting the cadence sensor.
Spokes appear to be evenly tensioned.
Nothing stuck in tyre.

No rattling from rim.

I have of course considered if it could be emanating from somewhere else but the wheel but surely then the sound would nod follow the speed.

Driving me bonkers so any ideas most gratefully accepted.

Thanks /Regret

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

Check the valve stem rattling against the rim, small piece of electrical tape will quiet it right down

rijndael

by rijndael

Regret wrote:Softish ticking sound, but not all the time. Generally never at the beginning of rides, and not every ride. Only when a certain speed is reached. Frequency is in sync with wheel speed and also occurs when freewheeling. Sitting, standing, makes no difference.

I had a similar issue with my White Industries hub. One of the pawl springs was bent, replacing it fixed my issue.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Can you swap out the rear wheel to confirm the noise is coming from it?

Regret

by Regret

Sorry for the hijack Mr Gib, my post seems to have been moved into yours.

Thaks for the suggestions guys.

mvacolnago: It's a possibility of course, and I will follow your suggestion.
rijndael: I would have thought anything to do with pawl springs would only manifest when freewheeling, did yours happen when pedaling also?
585: I suppose so - it would cost me, however, as I would have to invest in a Campy freehub for my other wheel - not to mention the embarrassment of being seen with those old wheels on my Colnago ;-)

rijndael

by rijndael

Regret wrote:did yours happen when pedaling also?
No.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Regret wrote:585: I suppose so - it would cost me, however, as I would have to invest in a Campy freehub for my other wheel - not to mention the embarrassment of being seen with those old wheels on my Colnago ;-)

Maybe borrow a wheel?

Once it starts on the road you could stop the bike, get off and lift the bike then crank the pedals by hand and see if you can better locate the noise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com