Bottom Bracket Replacement for Rotor 3D+ Pressfit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

Currently running a Rotor 4130 on my Scott CR1.

Only been in 1000 miles and one side is running very rough.

Now I'm told by another Scott owner who also runs a Rotor chainset that he has gone through 3 bottom brackets in just 15 months! 2 steel and one ceramic.

Anyone suggest a more durable replacement? Lightweight would be very nice I think the 4130 is around 46g.

Looked at a Chris King but the price at £177 plus a weight of 101g is a put off although having owned King products in the past I know how durable they are.

Suggestions?

ms6073

by ms6073

Although FSA appears to have introduced a new bottom bracket with dual row bearings on each side that would be compatible with the Rotor 3D+, not sure when it will be available to the public.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

Would this work?

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/ ... C-BB-PF30-

So unsure of how these standards work.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Looks like that is for PF30 only. You need BB86 compatibility.

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

Has anyone here used a Chris King PF30 with Rotor 30mm spindle cranks?

Inflicted some damage to the Rotor ones removing from the bike to add in some Loctite. I think King despite price and weight could be the way to go.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

gazzaputt, as I mentioned in my previous post you need BB86 compatibility. The Chris King doesn't seem to be compatible.

The problem you've got is that the 3D+ has a 30mm axle. The BB86 standard is based around the 24mm axle (Campag 25mm also works). Using a 30mm axle with the Rotor adapter reduces the bearing size and increases the chance of wear.

ms6073 has mentioned about the FSA BB that tries to reduce this problem with two rows of bearings. Basically there isn't much choice because the sytem is flawed and is really just a workaround.

If you had the 3D with the 24mm axle you could use one of the "standard" bottom brackets.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

There is an Enduro solution, according to this article. I have no experience with it.
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/e ... -in-36675/

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

Aspire Velotech are telling me that the King PF30 will work with Rotor 30mm spindles.

I've emailed Chris King to verify this.

mattjevans

by mattjevans

gazzaputt wrote:Aspire Velotech are telling me that the King PF30 will work with Rotor 30mm spindles.

The King PF30 certainly will work with Rotor 30mm, but I think NOT in a BB86 bike. The issue isn't just BB/Crank compatibility but your bike BB standard as well. One solution would be to change cranks to a 24mm spindle and use King PF24.

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

mattjevans wrote:
gazzaputt wrote:Aspire Velotech are telling me that the King PF30 will work with Rotor 30mm spindles.

The King PF30 certainly will work with Rotor 30mm, but I think NOT in a BB86 bike. The issue isn't just BB/Crank compatibility but your bike BB standard as well. One solution would be to change cranks to a 24mm spindle and use King PF24.

I currently use the Rotor 4130 with the 3d+ cranks which is fine but the bottom isn't that durable as I have said.

The Enduro looks good but cannot find as yet in the UK

I think your right the Chris King does not fit a BB86 shell.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Thanks gazzaputt :wink:

muntos

by muntos

Any experiences meanwhile ? I have a Scott Foil frameset (BB86) and I would like to run a 30mm crank, so I need this 4130 bearings/BB solution (or like someone said above, workaround) but I'm really concerned about their durability...

BONJUNGU

by BONJUNGU

I think like that is for PF30 only. You need BB86 compatibility.

muntos

by muntos

BONJUNGU wrote:I think like that is for PF30 only. You need BB86 compatibility.

4130 BB is exactly for this, running a 30mm axle into a BB designed for 24mm axle. Which is possible, the only concern is the life of those bearings...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rcb78

by rcb78

The Enduro BB works well. I've installed a few in some of my customers bikes that have a BB86 shell. Just make sure you don't over-do the preload, it's easy to cook bearings that small when they aren't ACBs.