Mecahncial 11sp Shimano vs 11sp Campag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ichobi

by ichobi

Out of curiosity and a bit off topic, as I am thinking buying new groups, how would you compare DA9000 / UG6800 vs Chorus or Record 11 in terms of shifting performance and overall feel?? DA seems to have better tech and niceties like coated cable and all that jazz.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Without this turning the other thread in to a 'Campag vs Shimano' debate (which is why I split the topic), the difference will still come down to your personal preference. Ie: do you like thumb shifters, hood shape, brake modulation/power, are your other bikes Campag or Shimano, etc

9000 is the smoothest road grouppo I've ridden - and I have Campag on all my personal bikes. That said, my team is breaking a lot of RD cables due to the new lining. So 9000 is not, presently, without some drawbacks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coolmingli

by coolmingli

Shimano rear shifting is much smoother than the Campy, less noisy too, Campy is a bit faster, the problem is in the front, Shimano requires 2 trim, the lower trim really bothers me, no trim is needed for Campy.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

No trim needed for 9000...

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coolmingli

by coolmingli

Tinea Pedis wrote:No trim needed for 9000...

I was talking about Ultegra 11 speed.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I never noticed any need for that on the 6800 bikes I rode either.

coolmingli

by coolmingli

Tinea Pedis wrote:I never noticed any need for that on the 6800 bikes I rode either.

The FD low adjustment (chain is 0.5mm away from the inner cage of the FD), This is also the low trim position.

you will land on another index ( low position) when you shift from the bigger chainring to the smaller chainring, at this position, the rear 3 big cogs will rub the chain, you need to click again go to the low trim position to avoid the rub.

there are total of 4 indexes low trim-low -top trim-top.

the reason you never noticed the rub is probably the skid plate, the skid plate will make the rub silent, but the rub is there.

coolmingli

by coolmingli

Anyone who has setup the Shimano 11 speed FD would know what I am talking about, need to put lot of tension on the derailleur cable.

ichobi

by ichobi

Interesting discussion and thanks for splitting the thread TP. I am brand agnostic mostly when it comes to road bike equipments. I run Shimano 105 10 Speed on a Ridley Fenix bike and pretty much like the aesthetic of both DA9000 and Chorus. Slightly prefer Thumb shifters. I asked about DA9000 performance specifically because many people said it shifts a lot better than Red (though haven't read much vs Campy 11). Having said that I have no problem with my 105 which shifts almost always perfectly.

Guess I will go with Campy after all.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

With shifters Chorus is identical to Record, and almost so in every other part too. Chorus is by far the best value in Campy 11 spd.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

ultyguy

by ultyguy

To be really annoying and cnut the thread up a bit...

It seems to me that a 9000 chainset would work ok with 11 speed Campag set up right?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Totally fine (have done it).

ultyguy

by ultyguy

And risked scorn from the world of bike fashion? Brave man.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com