by chazmtb

Really beautiful setup.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Very nice build. Helped me knowing which stem I will buy. Deda Superleggero for the win :D

pje0713

by pje0713

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. It was a bit of trial and error getting there, but I'm loving the black above the top tube. It projects a very sporty/racy look that I love.

Here's the final build list:

Colnago C59 Italia - TSRD - 54s
Deda Superzero Seatpost (replaced steel bolts with ti bolts) - (187.7g)
Deda Superleggero Stem 120mm (113.5g)
Deda Superleggera Handlebars - 44cm (185g)
Campagnolo Super Record 11 EPS Gruppo
SRM / Campagnolo compact crank, 50/34-11/25
Lightweight Meilenstein Clinchers
Lightweight Skewers
Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 23mm / 25mm
Schwalbe Ultralight Tubes
Lightweight Edelhelfer Bottle Cages (18g ea.) w/ KCNC aluminum bottle cage bolts
Deda Elementi Traforato Perforated Handlebar Tape (46.8g)
Time Xpresso 12 Ti Pedals (155.4g)
Selle Italia SLR Tekno Flow Saddle (104.5)
Mcfk Seatpost Clamp (7.9g)

pje0713

by pje0713

gb103 wrote: He are you finding the lightweight clinchers?

Happy to give my thoughts. Compared to the Enve 3.4 wheels, the Meilensteins are noticeably stiffer. The Meilensteins are also noticeably narrower. Tires wrapped to the Meilenstein appear much thinner than when on the Enves. This all translates as you might expect.

A digression on tires: When I first rode the Lightweights I was running an Attack/Force combo (22/24). The front tire was so narrow and the wheel so stiff it was like riding on the blade of an ice skate. Super stiff, pretty twitchy, and not at all comfortable. I swapped to a Force/Force set up and was happier with the cushier ride, but just didn't like the feel of the tires. The contis just seemed more harsh and actually seemed to provide less traction than the ultremos. I switched back to Ultremos -- a 23 on front, 25 on back. The ride is now perfect in my opinion. The Meilensteins, as they are a narrower and stiffer wheel, just call for a tire with a more bulbous/thicker profile and more supple ride. The Ultremos are much better in both respects than the Contis. I can't recommend them more highly to pair with the Meilensteins. With the Ultremos I also feel more confidence in cornering and better traction as well. Just all around a great matchup.

Back to the wheels: The Meilensteins are lighter and stiffer than the Enves. They seem to accelerate a bit better as a result. I don't notice a major difference in crosswinds, although the Enves may be a bit more stable. Over long rides the Meilensteins are slightly less comfortable comparing apples to apples in terms of both a Ultremo 23mm tire. This is likely due to the increased stiffness and the slightly narrower profile.

The awesome thing is the weight loss. I started with a 15lb, 4oz bike. Then I traded my Campy ti compact crank for an SRM power meter and gained some weight, but swapped on the Meilensteins. The weight loss of the Meilensteins was so dramatic that the net effect of the two changes combined was to put the bike just under 15lbs. Just incredible.

So far I've taken the Meilensteins for about 8-10 rides varying between 25 and 65 miles. With the Ultremos they are great all-around wheels.

The only situation I might favor the Enves is a long flat 100mi+ ride where I know there is quite a bit of rough pavement. The replaceable spokes (durability concerns - getting stuck with a worthless rim), slightly more cozy ride, and the possible aero advantage in the wider profile rim (no clue how much the advantage is?) might be worth the weight gain and the loss in stiffness. For anything less than 100 miles, any group ride, anything with a lot of climbs, any technical rides that require a lot of accelerations... basically most things, I would see advantages with the Meilensteins. Plus, I'll be honest, they look pretty sharp.

davec

by davec

Wow! Hell of an update. Love the look of the final product! It looks very fast and mean. Props

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDP

by SDP

Very very tidy....

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

The bike looks great, my only question is why use such a large set back seat post and then slam the saddle that far forward?

PSM

by PSM

mvacolnago wrote:The bike looks great, my only question is why use such a large set back seat post and then slam the saddle that far forward?

Say what? :roll:

pje0713

by pje0713

The saddle rails are almost perfectly centered on the seatpost's saddle rail clamp. i think any impression that the saddle is slammed forward must be a result of a odd angle in the pictures or something.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

mvacolnago wrote:The bike looks great, my only question is why use such a large set back seat post and then slam the saddle that far forward?

I love this place :lol:

The saddle position is fine :doh:

SDP

by SDP

I studied pics and thought it was centred...glad thats sorted...

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Delorre

by Delorre

Absolute stunning build, really :shock: May I ask what's your saddle height and saddle to bar drop? I'm about to buy a 54s frame secound hand. I have 77cm saddle height and need 9,5 cm drop with a -8° 12cm stem, and I'm a little worried that the front end of a 54s would be to high to achive this. Based on your bike, I can extrapolate a little ;-)

pje0713

by pje0713

This is about 74.5 saddle height. Drop is only a
Few cm, maybe 4cm.

To achieve what you want it sounds like you'd get 2.5 from saddle height and could get maybe a cm from losing a spacer. You'd still need a couple more cm, so you might have to do an aggressive stem angle to get it. Could also lose the Colnago integrated top cap and do a slam that stem one and get another cm or so, but you'd be probably closer to 9 at best, would be my best guess.

kgt

by kgt

It was perfect before, now it is great. Masterpiece!

HanSolPark

by HanSolPark

C59 with 6.79kg?! No need to say any more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com