Beet juice?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

^ Good link, thank Juan.

Here's a "fact sheet" on beetroot juice from the AIS.

http://www.ausport.gov.au/__data/assets ... _sheet.pdf
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

I can't help but think there must be some connection between the "nitrates" that are enhancing aerobic performance and endurance and the "nitrates" that are used as drugs to control heart pain in heart disease victims because the nitrates dilate the blood vessels of the heart. Any studies on how the heart drugs affect sports performance ?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I've tried the Zipvit beetroot capsules but didn't notice any difference, but then again I was sick the whole time I was on it so nothing would have made any difference. Going to try these for the next 5 days leading up to an event on Sunday so we'll see how they go. Quite sweet in taste actually so fairly pleasant

http://www.beet-it.com/sport/

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Here's another article, although primarily about runners, also references studies with rowers etc.
The primary study this refers to, conducted with elite runners, didn't show any tangible gains.

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-f ... for-milers

Speculation is, that elite athletes are already pretty much maxed out in the parameters that beetroot/nitrate intake influences.

AGW

by AGW

I'm picking up some beetroot capsules/tablets from the online vitamin shop we use for things like prenatals. $6 US for 100 500mg tabs. We'll see, I guess.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

In countries that cannot grow sugar cane, sugar can be, and is, refined from beets.

I can't help wondering if the miracle ingredient in beet juice is in fact.........sugar.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

vlastrada

by vlastrada

It seems that it has to do with the fact that beetroots contain high levels of nitrates. Specifically, it appears that nitric oxide enhances the efficiency of muscle contraction by lowering the cost of the actin-myosin interaction (J Appl Physiol 2010; 109) as well as resulting in an improvement in the efficiency of mitochondrial respiration.

stefanot
Shop Owner

by stefanot

I've tried everything to stomach beet juice and just can't do it. Unless I dilute it a ton I gag so I've given up. There are other foods higher in nitrate content like rhubarb and arugula that are MUCH easier to stomach if anyone is like me.

vlastrada

by vlastrada

yhea, it's especially hard to drink beetroot juice in the morning -- not sure how much easier rocket/arugula can be, tho!
above all, I would guess that rocket requires a much longer and a more variable amount of time to be digested and absorbed.
the biotta beetroot juice seems of high quality, I am open minded, I think it definitely can't harm and it's healthy.
also, you shouldn't brush your teeth after drinking it nor use mouthwash as that nullifies its effects : -).

michaelten

by michaelten

stefanot wrote:I've tried everything to stomach beet juice and just can't do it. Unless I dilute it a ton I gag so I've given up. There are other foods higher in nitrate content like rhubarb and arugula that are MUCH easier to stomach if anyone is like me.

I was drinking it for a while, not sure if it made any difference though.

I could stomach it for a little while, then I had to dilute it with apple juice which then turned into vomiting it up. I have given up on it now.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

vlastrada wrote:you shouldn't brush your teeth after drinking it nor use mouthwash as that nullifies its effects : -).

How? Is it not absorbed through your stomach? Are you swallowing your toothpaste and mouthwash?

r_mutt

by r_mutt

beet/orange juice (80/20) is the winning combo.

vlastrada

by vlastrada

@ dereksmalls

as much as I love fresh breadth I don't drink toothpaste...

while nitrates are absorbed in the intestines, they are concentrated in the saliva and in the mouth, and are transformed into nitrites by bacteria that are found on the tongue.

largely for this reason, before and after the intake of nitrates it is best to avoid the rinse of the mouth with antibacterial wash, and toothpaste, to preserve the bacterial flora which transforms nitrates into nitrites.

even if you don't drink the toothpaste....

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

^^^ Interesting

michaelten

by michaelten

Ok, bit of an update.

My last 2 races I have tried the Beet It shots before the race. Much easier to stomach than a full glass of beetroot juice.
I had 1 about 1.5hrs before each race (bottle says 1-12hrs before) During the races I felt really good, I think it made a difference. High heart rate where I would normally blow up or be close to it I felt like I could maintain the effort much easier.
I'll do a few more and see what happens.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com