2013 Cervelo R5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

em3

by em3

Had to retire my 2011 R5 (see here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80217&p=702751#p702751 ) and replaced it with a 2013 R5 (warranty replacement for my FOURTH cracked R-series frame). Again, outstanding customer service from Cervelo.

Here is the obligatory Weight Weenies build list:
- Cervelo 2013 R5 54cm, Cervelo SL fork
- Campagnolo Super Record gruppo (175mm crank, 53-39 chainrings, 12-27 SR cass)
- Ritchey WCS Carbon 2-bolt seatpost
- Ritchey WCS 4-axis carbon 110mm
- Easton EC90 SLX3 46cm
- Prologo Scratch
- CaneCreek headset
- Reynolds Forty Six wheels
- Vittoria Open Corsa CX 25c w/Michelin latex tubes
- Arundel Mandible cages
- Time RXS Ulteam Titan

Full build weight 6.5Kg…..the frame weight is 760 grams (65 grams lighter then 2011 R5), and the uncut fork weight is 315 grams (15 grams lighter then 2011 R5).

The matte paint is actually a dark gray, not black, coupled with matte silver and red highlights.

Enjoy!

EM3

solarider

by solarider

That just looks 'right'.

I personally prefer the all black Campagnolo Super Record to the current red accents.

I often hear about brands having 'good customer service' when they replace a broken frame. To me, good customer service would be putting a product out there that doesn't break so often in the first place, and in this respect, Cervelo do seem to have to offer 'good customer service' too often for my liking!

It is light for sure, but I do wonder if they have pushed the boundaries just a bit too far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

3T LTD or Team and it would be perfect. :)

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Nice bike

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I wonder if you could detail the failure modes of your past frames? I think all of us with R3/SL/5 would be interested in looking out for early signs.
Thanks,

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I was going to say something about your bar and seat tilt.......

Nice ride!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

uniQuk

by uniQuk

ghisallo2003 wrote:I wonder if you could detail the failure modes of your past frames? I think all of us with R3/SL/5 would be interested in looking out for early signs.
Thanks,

This. I scanned your last thread but couldn't see any mention of the failure(s) in there either?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

So that's FOUR cracked Cervélos you've had?? Ouch...

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

That frame is spectacular! Very nice and sensible build.

Solarider.....Good customer service, is good SERVICE to the CUSTOMER.....manufacturing and quality control is in no way, shape or form related to customer service. Cervelo indeed has fantastic customer service from what I have heard; however, their quality control may be a bit lacking.

53x12

by 53x12

Look very nice. I like it. Just would have expected the build to be a little lighter with an R5 build.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

beautiful bike.

nismosr

by nismosr

great build !
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

em3

by em3

ghisallo2003 wrote:I wonder if you could detail the failure modes of your past frames? I think all of us with R3/SL/5 would be interested in looking out for early signs.
Thanks,

..first three frame failures were the dreaded and all too familiar BB shell crack, all on pre-2011 R-Series frames (pre-BBRight). This defect has been well documented on the Cervelo forum and Cervelo has been very proactive about replacing frames with said defect. The 2011 and newer R-series frames with BBRight have addressed the BB cracking issues...I have not read or heard of any BB failures since the adoption of BBRight.

My last failure (fourth frame) was a hairline crack that formed at the topside tip of the seatstay and extended to the upper edge of the driveside dropout. There is no known pattern of this defect. I have seen a couple of reports on broken dropouts, but those are clearly due to overclamping skewers as the failures have been on the lower part and face of the dropout, not on the upper edge.

As I indicated, Cervelo customer service has been amazing and always quickly supplied me with a replacement frame. I really don't mind as the frame failures have given me an excuse to tear down and rebuild my bike at least once a year (I have averaged one replacement frame per year for the last four years).

EM3

solarider

by solarider

I don't mean to detract from what is a lovely bike (and it is a lovely bike), but 4 frame failures? And you call that good customer service?

I really don't mind as the frame failures have given me an excuse to tear down and rebuild my bike at least once a year

What if one of those frame failures happened at speed hairing down a descent? I just can't accept that good customer service is to produce frames with that failure rate. And the fact that they replace them so readily speaks volumes about how often it happens.

It is admirable that they stand by their product and help their customers when it ll goes wrong, but after 4 failures I personally would have lost confidence in the brand by now.

em3

by em3

solarider wrote:I don't mean to detract from what is a lovely bike (and it is a lovely bike), but 4 frame failures? And you call that good customer service?

You are right, you are indeed detracting from what is simply a post on the "Introduce Yourself Gallery" picture thread, but if you insist, I'll play. Actually, I would point you to
btompkins0112 response above:

btompkins0112 wrote:Solarider.....Good customer service, is good SERVICE to the CUSTOMER.....manufacturing and quality control is in no way, shape or form related to customer service. Cervelo indeed has fantastic customer service from what I have heard; however, their quality control may be a bit lacking.

You are correct that four failures for my N=1 might be excessive, and I do agree that Cervelo might have a quality control issue on their hands. But at the same time, I have not seen proof that carbon frames from other manufacturers are breaking at a lesser rate (as a proportion of the # of frames they produce). My point is that all frames from all manufacturers are prone to failing, but we simply do not know at what rate across manufactures. In my over 30 years of cycling (10 as a pro shop wrench) I have seen and experienced my fair share of failures, across MANY manufacturers, which probably explains why I am not phased by the Cervelo failures I have experienced.

EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com