Time xpresso pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

marcob

by marcob

Received mine time xpresso 12 pedals (2 sets) this week and did two rides till now. They replaced my dura ace 7900 carbon pedals and the difference in weight for a set was almost 100 grams. Riding was fine, stable and easy to clip in and out. Also have to mentione the sharp edges and all pedals had some play before the first ride. Did you all get your pedals with some play? My dura ace pedals did not have play, even after a few years of riding.

airwise

by airwise

Have to say I've been a Time user for a decade or more but the Expresso cleats really do wear out quickly. Best used if your ride does not involve any walking. Someone should come up with a durable cleat cover. The RXS cleat is sturdier.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JensW

by JensW

airwise wrote:Have to say I've been a Time user for a decade or more but the Expresso cleats really do wear out quickly. Best used if your ride does not involve any walking. Someone should come up with a durable cleat cover. The RXS cleat is sturdier.
'

isn´t the RXS cleat compatible with expresso? thought i had read it somewhere

Antoine

by Antoine

no , expresso cleats are compatible with iclics but not RXS

kixar

by kixar

Time Xpresso 4 user here. Been using it for about one month for commuting so lots of right-foot clip/unclipping.

I've used speedplays, shimanos, and time impacts in the past.

The lightness of the body makes pedaling feel more effortless and I feel more in tune with my cadence. The wider body feels better than speedplay. I've been a fan of the float with the time impacts in the past so it's natural for me.

The clip-in is easy if the body is rotated corrected. I ride in a busy city so I sometimes have to just pedal without being clipped in due to cars/traffic behind me. Speedplay wins here for traffic.

The cleat wear is most important to me. The cleat seems to be composed of two types of plastic, one softer, one harder. The front tip's softer plastic has worn off. The harder plastic looks like it's still holding. The rest of the cleat still looks fine, including the important engagement piece.

The body has sharp edges and it pissed me off when I got scratched on them. WTF Time??! Basic safety and usability here! I filed down the sharp edges and the cuts have been minimized.

How's everyone else's cleat holding up? I'm still waiting for more feedback from other users before I swap my other bike for Xpresso. Or I might just go with the RXS if cleat wear sucks.

lannes

by lannes

Even though I love my Xpresso 12's (3 sets), I hate having a knife down there with the potential to slice open the calf muscle, cut my self twice so far, time should round off the platform on the outer edge

maxxevv

by maxxevv

You could DIY and take a fine grade file and some sandpaper to round off the edges ? ( Since you like the pedals so much ?? )

airwise

by airwise

Juanmoretime wrote:When I ride my road bike I ride it and don't walk around much. I would use my fixie if I want to be bouncing around doing errands and needed a shoe to walk in.

Riding a fixie on 10 hour randonees in the high Alps might be a bit impractical.

Still finding the wear on these cleats is ridiculous. My RXS's wore quite quickly but acceptably so. I've converted one bike back to those.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

My RXS's wore quite quickly but acceptably so.

Maybe people should ride more, walk less.... :mrgreen:

Seriously though, if there's any cleat out there that does NOT wear fast than it must these RXS ones.

Ciao, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

marcob

by marcob

I've got mine 2 sets from probikeshop and reported them about the play in the bearings of the new pedals. They asked me to send them back. I can't miss them at them moment, but do you think there is chance that another new pair will come without play?

ElDuderino

by ElDuderino

"cleats suck"

This seals the deal for me. I'm back to RXS for about a year now (after using iclics for a year before that). The RXS cleats last TWO SEASONS. Bring back the brass cleat!!!

airwise

by airwise

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

My RXS's wore quite quickly but acceptably so.

Maybe people should ride more, walk less.... :mrgreen:

Seriously though, if there's any cleat out there that does NOT wear fast than it must these RXS ones.

Ciao, ;)

I guess there will always be a different opinion - that's the internet for you.

All I can say is I've been on Times for many years and ride a lot more than the average person. Rides will inevitably involve water stops and food breaks when lasting eight to ten hours and I have not seen riding buddies on Looks or Shimano having to replace cleats as often. Having said that, I will always stick with Time because replacing the cleats is cheaper than replacing the knees. But I'm going back to RXS until they produce a more appropriate cleat.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I'm back to RXS for about a year now (after using iclics for a year before that). The RXS cleats last TWO SEASONS. Bring back the brass cleat!!!

I may misread you but do not all RXS cleats come with brass retaining systems? My RXS cleats last for years but then I'm not a competition rider.
You mean you'd like to see the brass retainer on the newer I-Clicks and Expresso, correct?

@Airwise, your message is a contradiction as well:

But I'm going back to RXS until they produce a more appropriate cleat.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

just got a pair from competitive cyclist for 72.00 (sale) with free shipping, those are the 4s, im going to them from speedplays zeros, not that i dislike the zeros, but i dont love them.
wish me luck;)

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Jeez anythings is better than Speedplay's...I'd consider going back to toe clips & straps rather than using them again... :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com