Campagnolo EPS Super Record Titanium Failure

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tricky1

by Tricky1

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

I'm running SR-11 mechanical and have two or three chain suck issues (due to maladjustment and chain wear)

It really takes extremely excessive wear for chain suck to occur.

Ciao, ;)

I had chain suck when the gruppo was brand new, so in my experience excessive wear wasn't the only issue, but I'm not trying to debate how chain suck can happen, my point was a need for a product for protection. Why risk it? I've seen a chainstay destroyed from one chainsuck occurrence. Repairing CF ain't cheap, and grinding a chunk of my $4000 frame isn't how I'm looking to save weight.

mjduct

by mjduct

of you are that concerned about it lizard skins makes some stuff that sticks on your chainstay, (got that on my mountain bike) or you could just use 2 or 3 layers of athletic tape...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tricky1

by Tricky1

mjduct wrote:of you are that concerned about it lizard skins makes some stuff that sticks on your chainstay, (got that on my mountain bike) or you could just use 2 or 3 layers of athletic tape...

Got it covered. As I mentioned, I was concerned enough about it and used a small Cannondale steel plate. Tape ain't gonna cut it. Lizard skins were too bulky, still a tape, and just looked ugly on a roadbike. Lizard skins does make a nice protector for the top of stay however.

Sorry to the OP for the thread hijack. Best of luck on the EPS!

papo

by papo

Just registered to say thanks for this post- it gave me the guidance i needed to have Campagnolo USA repair my brand new Super Record 11 EPS grupo. Had new grupo installed a month ago ago and within several rides the rear derailleur started to get caught up on a gear when shifting until it stopped shifting altogether. I did the reset, then the reset to zero. it started working again, but only briefly before the problem repeated itself in the same pattern. My local bike shop which installed the grupo was perplexed. They called Campi and they blamed the cyclist - me. i read this post, demanded they test the unit and it turned out to be a faulty power unit. My own sense is that Campi knows it has an issue but is downplaying it.

jameskack

by jameskack

Glad you got your issue sorted. My problem was with a brand new bike and groupset, campy replaced what turned out to be a faulty power unit as well. It must be a known issue at campy and to be honest I expected better from them. Haven't had any issues since ;)

snappypants

by snappypants

I love Campy, but I have to say there seems to be an inordinate amount of chatter (not here necessarily) in regards to EPS issues. Is it more difficult to set up than Di2 (which is super easy)? If it is finicky to set up, that might explain some of the issues. Seems like a lot of funky power units, though. I even read a slightly negative review in a popular magazine (Marcel Wust, Pro Cycling), gasp, those guys usually like everything.

TdFTips

by TdFTips

Hi all

Hope this post is in the right section. I've just received my brand spanking new Canyon CF SLX 9.0 with Campy SR EPS. My previous bike was a Giant TCR C1 with Ultegra mechanical, so the spec on the new bike is a big step up for me.

I'm having a problem getting my front derailleur dialled in. The upshift from the 39->53 just isn't smooth. Here's what happens when I try to shift the gear (bike is up on a mechanic's stand for adjustments, obviously):

1. When I lightly spin the crank and upshift, the chain locks up between the big ring and the derailleur. I have to shift back down to the small chain ring to clear the jam.

2. If I spin the crank firmly, the gear does shift, but it really crunches badly on the way through to the big ring. I'm worried that I'll trash the front derailleur if I actually went out for a ride.

I've read all Campy's manuals on setting the zero settings and I've watched the set up videos on YouTube.

If this sounds familiar to anyone out there, I'd appreciate any advice you might have.

Cheers

Geoff

by Geoff

I just solve one of those on a friends bike. The front derailleur was set too high (changed from a 54 to a 53 and forgot to adjust the derailleur). Check your ring clearance first.

jameskack

by jameskack

Thanks for your input but ring clearance was the first thing that I checked and even now after new power supply and the frame being returned for respray and repair, it has happened again. We have seen this happen on the Tour and the Giro. I investigated it closer the last time it happened and it appears that the chain is getting caught on the large chainring teeth (only happens under certain conditions) and is not disengaging. I use the lizardskin now and this has saved my frame.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Obviously we are not present to see this but I believe the derailleur is working correctly and that you are using on the stand and not on the road.

Once on the road, the chain is under way more load and most likely will not lock up. The way the EPS works, the front derailleur will have more drag during the shift since there is no finesse in shifting. It forces the chain with so much force it will make the shift under any load. Mechanical shifting has as much force as the operator is applying. Light loads can be made with a lighter shift.

As for EPS failures, my power unit failed [purchased in Jan 2013/installed Jun 2013] on day one. Very intermittent at first but more consistant a couple of months of using it. Dealer indicated the first batch had solder issues on the board. Sounds plausible due to the way everything is built now.

TdFTips

by TdFTips

Thanks, Butcher. That's reassuring to hear. I'll take my bike out for a light spin and see how it shifts under normal riding load. Fingers crossed...

Cheers.

Chello

by Chello

TdF it should work fine in the stand, if there are issues with shifting it likely won't improve under regular riding conditions.

I'm surprised there haven't been any ongoing topics about EPS issues. Perhaps my experience was the exception however, the bike I built with EPS had nothing but issues. I've built bikes with both electronic systems and saw no reason to go with EPS over Di2 or even Campy mechanical. The system is not close to the level of refinement of Shimano's Di2. The shop where I work had a customer so unhappy with his EPS he took a several thousand dollar hit to have Campy replace it with their mechanical unit with no refund for cost differences.

It may not be an issue elsewhere, however where I work there is little to no local support for Campy. Any issue requires breaking down the bike and sending parts off for diagnosis. Overall I have been very underwhelmed with regards to EPS.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Chello, it seems that you and your shop have experienced so many issues with the EPS and Campy systems in general [and very few has] that maybe it's not Campagnolo and just the installers.

As for working on the stand, I stand by what I am saying, if there is so little load on the drivetrain, the speed of the front derailleur will force the chain over with so much force, it is very hard to spin the crank. I can easily see it jamb if you are not spinning the crank with the force of your legs.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Why would that be the rule for EPS and not for di2? On the stand = on the road for di2. Not sure why campy would be different.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Causidicus

by Causidicus

The Campagnolo EPS FD overshifts on the change from small to big ring. It's only for 0.5s or so but it ensures a complete shift. It does 'jam' the change a little on the stand when cranking by hand. When loaded normally or at speed, there is no issue. Di2 is no different.