Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

BxEddie

by BxEddie

ultyguy wrote:[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374947663.207419.jpg[/attachmentJust joined the club, more to come!

Cool!
Can you please bring better pics.

Last edited by BxEddie on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Will do eventually. It's a Tecno with Athena I scored for a song. Threw on my saddle, pedals and neutron tubs. It's a battleship but amazing on descents.

BxEddie

by BxEddie

neutron tubulars? You don´t see them very often.
I really like the paint and the classy build. Do you use no-Q rings?
How is shifting performance?

ultyguy

by ultyguy

They came w the q rings. Never used them before. Shifting is ok, they're the 11 speed version. They're really not very ovalized compared to the newer qxl and obv osymetric. Didn't really feel any major difference.

BxEddie

by BxEddie

If you don´t feel any difference it is in the right position. If chance position, you will know what I mean.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Wow, Bx, couldn't see yours on my phone, what a true beauty! Which fork? Did you re-decal it yourself?

I'm trying to decide weather to go with a silver athena chainset just to round it out. Also considering picking up a silver Thomson seat post and x2 stem. I love the Neutron tubs, found them a couple of years ago and have used them for even used them for racing, they're fantastic and have a storied history with wins at Roubaix (Backstedt) and Flanders (Ballan). 2014 is supposed to see a Neutron Ultra tub released! However, I kinda think a pair of silver rim tubs would probably look best.

BxEddie

by BxEddie

It´s a Easton SL straight fork. But I think of building it back to the original steel fork.

I like the silver and black mix you have. It´s a modern bike, so some carbon parts are very much ok, imo.

I don´t know any actually silver tub rims. So do you think of nos campa strada/crono rims? And what hubs do want to use?

Wingnut

by Wingnut

While I think the fork matches the black bar tape etc it would be nice to see it with the original steel fork...

BxEddie

by BxEddie

Yes, you are probably right. I´m looking for a CK grip nut conversion kit in black classic.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Threw on the Reynolds 32s for the ride today. Definitely need a -10, 110 stem, thinking Thomson x2, any suggestions for a curved setback, silver post?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375529395.040517.jpg

kgt

by kgt

Thomson stem not a good idea. Don't like the chainrings that much. Not sure about the saddle either.

Zak

by Zak

Always great with a balanced comment with likes and dislikes

Well, I like the frame a lot and also in combination with the wheels. Maybe the stem isn't the visual best choise, but all in all a very nice build.

fletch62

by fletch62

ultyguy wrote:Threw on the Reynolds 32s for the ride today. Definitely need a -10, 110 stem, thinking Thomson x2, any suggestions for a curved setback, silver post?

Cheap & heavy, Deda RS01 comes in polished silver. About 1.5 seconds to remove the logos with Acetone.
http://www.wiggle.com/deda-rs01-aluminum-seatpost-silver/

Wingnut

by Wingnut

At least your honest...lol :wink:

kgt wrote:Thomson stem not a good idea. Don't like the chainrings that much. Not sure about the saddle either.

Yep agree, ditch the chainrings, seatpost & stem...love the rest of the bike... :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I think the saddle, being a flite, is just about perfect (and also for my bum, even tho I've moved onto a scratch since. Great tip on the stem, just need a silver post now, don't really like the Thomson or Ritchey one.

Edit- love the 32s on there. It's a rocket downhill, so stable and soaks up all the imperfections that normally rattle thru on a carbon frame. 48mm fork offset prob helping there too. Can't wait to get my Boras dark label on there.

Edit edit- currently sitting at 8.1kgs actually realised it had a shim under the stem, gotta find a nice 1" option
Last edited by ultyguy on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.