setup for Ciamillo Gravitas SL brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pawnii

by pawnii

Sorry. You're right. It's Ted from Ciamillo, not Tim.

1 - no double sided sphericals : widest rims
2 - thin double side sphericals : wide rims
3 - thick double sided sphericals : standard rims
4 - thick and thin nested together : narrow rims

this is what Ted posted. He doesn't state above that 2 thick double sided sphericals can be used...so i guess it's not recommended by Ciamillo.
But with my Enve 1.45 rims i wouldn't achieve the 2mm max clearance that Ted recommends unless i do use 2 thick ones on each side.
Maybe the 2mm max clearance isn't very important with thin rims.

I'll have to setup with option 4 and see how it goes.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Maybe its time to drop them off at the bike shop and let a mechanic handle it? Just a thought.
carbonLORD.com

pawnii

by pawnii

i doubt any mechanic would know how to set up these brakes anymore than I do considering there's no instructions in the box or on the Ciamillo website.
If there was a Gravitas expert in my area i'd gladly take it there...come to think of it, if it required an expert to install them i'd probably just sell them and get some EE brakes.

thanks for the advice though :)

I only know of one length bolt but could be wrong.

there are actually 2 different length bolts. 10mm and 12mm.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

kbbpll

by kbbpll

I apologize for butting in, but that cable looks a bit nasty to me. I've no idea if related to any of your problems; just something I noticed.

pawnii wrote:Image

pawnii

by pawnii

yes you're right. I never got the washers for the pinch cable so it damages the cable as soon as you tighten it.
And now that Ted refuses to reply to any of my emails i'm not sure how to get any.
I wonder how many people suffer from his poor service?

I purchased the Gravitas brakes because they look good and are very light but they have been nothing but trouble.
Damaged parts straight out of the box and warranty replacement taking 8 weeks with fcuk all communication from Ted.
Finally when i get my replacement parts it's missing bits also.

I've been holding back not to bag Ciamillo on WW, just in case he comes good, but after not replying to my last 5 emails over the last 2 weeks i've had enough and giving up on him. I highly doubt this is an isolated case either.

oh...and the stopping power and modulation is no where near DA or Reds.

total let down and waste of money IMO.

Cable were replaced with iLinks shortly after that pic
2012 Scott Foil Premium

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Maybe I'm missing something, but you're saying you require extra washers to get the pads within 2mm of your brake track, correct?

...isn't that what the barrel adjuster is for? Can't you just tighten the cable pinch bolt a little higher up the cable?

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

pawnii wrote:i doubt any mechanic would know how to set up these brakes anymore than I do considering there's no instructions in the box or on the Ciamillo website.
If there was a Gravitas expert in my area i'd gladly take it there...come to think of it, if it required an expert to install them i'd probably just sell them and get some EE brakes.

Like I said, that's why they are "mechanics".

Not trying to give you a hard time but these brakes are so easy to work on...

What do you need to get them going? I'm a Ciamillo rep and know that Ted is in a spot right now that he cant possibly focus on everything at once. Lets just say he has a lot on his plate and if we want to continue to see super light brakes and cranks from a boutique US manufacturer we all have to be a little patient, from distributors waiting on large orders to customers waiting on spare parts...

On behalf of the brand I want to extend an apology for Ted because I understand how frustrating it is to purchase something expensive and be excited about it, only to be disappointed.

I am in The Netherlands but can certainly facilitate communication, or if need be can send out parts from here and wait for Ted to reimburse me. Who did you purchase the Gravitas SL from? Better yet, PM or email me and lets talk about set-up, and start from the beginning.

Cheers,

sabin:cL
carbonLORD.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

carbonLORD wrote:I'm a Ciamillo rep and know that Ted is in a spot right now that he cant possibly focus on everything at once. Lets just say he has a lot on his plate and if we want to continue to see super light brakes and cranks from a boutique US manufacturer we all have to be a little patient, from distributors waiting on large orders to customers waiting on spare parts...

On behalf of the brand I want to extend an apology for Ted because I understand how frustrating it is to purchase something expensive and be excited about it, only to be disappointed.

I thought Ted now had an office staff to deal with this kind of stuff. I'm glad someone is stepping in to take care of it, but it seems like more of the same...
Speedplay is the devil!

pawnii

by pawnii

sigismond0 wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but you're saying you require extra washers to get the pads within 2mm of your brake track, correct?

...isn't that what the barrel adjuster is for? Can't you just tighten the cable pinch bolt a little higher up the cable?

Using the barrel adjusters or "tightening the pinch bolt a little higher up the cable" will reduce the limited arm travel you have on these brakes.
You only have a short amount of travel on these brakes and if you don't use the spherical washers on the brake pad holders to take up the gap between the pads and brake track, when u pull the lever 100% the Pinch bolt will hit the barrel adjuster and you're stuffed.

The spherical washers DO solve this problem though. I didn't get any in the box originally and without any instructions i had no idea what i was doing...all good now with this issue.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

pawnii

by pawnii

carbonLORD wrote:
pawnii wrote:i doubt any mechanic would know how to set up these brakes anymore than I do considering there's no instructions in the box or on the Ciamillo website.

Like I said, that's why they are "mechanics".

Not trying to give you a hard time but these brakes are so easy to work on...

What do you need to get them going? I'm a Ciamillo rep and know that Ted is in a spot right now that he cant possibly focus on everything at once. Lets just say he has a lot on his plate and if we want to continue to see super light brakes and cranks from a boutique US manufacturer we all have to be a little patient, from distributors waiting on large orders to customers waiting on spare parts...

I am in The Netherlands but can certainly facilitate communication, or if need be can send out parts from here and wait for Ted to reimburse me. Who did you purchase the Gravitas SL from? Better yet, PM or email me and lets talk about set-up, and start from the beginning.

Cheers,

sabin:cL

CarbonLORD,

Thanks for offering me some help. I don't mean to be a prick but i feel that i'm being stuffed around.
I need 2 washers that go on the pinch bolts and the aluminium bung that the end of the spring pushes into. The bung gets inserted into a hole in the caliper arm.

Ted replaced the damaged caliper arm but it didn't come with the bung. I tried to remove the one on the damaged caliper arm but it seems like it's glued in...or pressed in and impossible to remove.

I purchased the brakes 'brand new' off ebay. Gravitas SL 2013, From an Authorized Reseller/Distributor. Ted has confirmed this.
(though he does discourage ebay sales as it's hard to track and verify the newness of the stock)

Like i said to Ted, I am happy to pay for the items and 'express registered shipping' so i can track the item.

cheers
2012 Scott Foil Premium

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Not to make light of the situation, but putting the bung in the hole did make me LOL.

I sent an email to Ted about it and have to talk to him on Monday so I will mention it again when I do.

As far as the washer on the pinch bolt, they are not on the Gravitas SL, only older Zero Gravity Ti and GSL. The current design should just be a bolt that threads into a machined piece on the back side of the arm. This is the bolt that holds the cable, correct? Just want to make sure we are on the same page.

So it sounds like you just need the bung. Again, Ted will need to confirm if it has to be epoxied, but if that is the case he might sooner send out a complete replacement.

I'll see what I can do and keep you posted through a PM.

cheers,

s:cL
carbonLORD.com

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

Seriously. Are you kidding. I have had experienced Mechanics tell me these brakes are garbage to set up. I installed mine myself, than brought it in to my regular mechanic, than to an 'expert' at ZG brakes.

These brakes are garbage. Don't stay center and very poor modulation. I have replaced mine with THM and to be honest, I wont even sell my old ZG's. They are junk.

ZeroG
in the industry

by ZeroG

Thanks CarbonLord,

As CarbonLord said, the brakes are very easy to set up. I am working on some more explicit instructions for those who need a bit more information. I apologize for the delay on response. I have been quite busy. Pawnii, are you available for gmail chat? If so, email me and let's get you sorted with everything you need and get an express label going for any parts you require.

My calipers are currently at the mercy of the large disparity in rim widths but that is about to change. There is hardware to allow for optimization with any rim as shown in this image http://caw-designs.com/?page_id=453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, I have developed a cam which allows for not only easier setup and dialing-in the width stance for any rim, it also allows for tuning the gap due to pad wear without the use of the barrel adjuster. This preserves the stroke of the cam and allows for maintaining the best leverage condition through out the life of the pads. It also solves the problem of cam hitting the bottom of the barrel adjuster when the pads wear if the setup was done poorly using the old solution.

My system has had an Achilles Heel with respect to accommodation of wide rims which have recently hit the market. A perfect solution to the new wide rims and Ciamillo brakes will be available next week with the new Micro Cam. This cam can be used to upgrade both GSL and Gravitas calipers so that:

1. The calipers do not require the use of the double-sided sphericals in most cases.
2. Wide to narrow change-overs are quicker than anything other caliper on the market.
3. Gap can be adjusted and maintained without the use of the barrel adjuster.
4. Modulation is preserved throughout the life of the pads.

This cam is featured in two new products, the Negative GSL Micro, and the Gravitas SL Micro. Both of which will be available first through our co-branded product with Carbon Lord, https://www.facebook.com/pages/carbonLO ... 9108933385" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and through our European distributor, Veloperso, http://www.velo-perso.fr/fr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and in Asia through Robert Choy Imports, https://www.facebook.com/pages/T3-Bicyc ... 2019851028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,
Ted

pawnii

by pawnii

Micro cam sounds like it's exactly what the Gravitas needs. It would be a dream if i could use both my wheels without having to add/remove spherical washers.
I'll take one!

Ted, i'm not on gmail chat. I've never even heard of gmail chat before.
My setup is 99% there. I just need u to send me an aluminium bung that goes in the back of the caliper arm. (where the spring inserts into on the back of the caliper arm)
...oh and set of the Micro Cams please.

Are u no longer reachable at tciamillo@gmail.com?
2012 Scott Foil Premium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ZeroG
in the industry

by ZeroG

Hello Pawnii,

Yes, I am still at tciamillo@gmail.com but I have been inundated with emails lately. I'm sorry I haven't been able to answer all of them as fast as I'd like.