Heat Moldable Shoes- anyone tried baking with cleats on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Leviathan

by Leviathan

I think I know the answer to this but just in case - has anyone tried actually baking their heat moldable shoes (eg Bonts, High level Shimano's) with (Look) cleats still on - ie just chuck em in the 100 degree oven without removing the cleats?

Im assuming the rubber grip point on the cleat is an issue which is why Ive always taken the cleats off before molding for the 2nd or subsequent time, but I may be wrong..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Yeah, any cleats that have some sort of plastic/rubber in them probably shouldn't be baked.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Also the cleats will not let you place the shoe flat to help mold the tub when soft. It will push in the sole in the wrong places.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

^^^ Applies to Bont Shoes.

Shimano Shoes, Spiuk and other brands are different from Bont. Bont will shape the 'tub', whereas other brands have the technique affect the upper, not the sole.

The High-Level Shimano shoes are not baked, they're heated up a bit. It is best to do this at a Shimano dealer (if you did not buy the shoe from them there should be a minor charge). They will take your shoes - with cleats on - heat them up (not baked), then you put them on and your entire foot+shoe is vaccuum pressed together for about 90 seconds. Technically speaking you can achieve the results of the Shimano-fit by doing a few long rides in high temperature conditions and exposing them to the sun for long enough to heat up, but actually going to a dealer and getting it taken care of is far more efficient.

Regardless, the plastic of the cleats should be at a higher melting point than the materials or resins of the shoes.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

They should be, but without any evidence to that point, it's definitely better to assume that they're not.

Besides, it's a minute of effort to remove and install the cleats, is a minute really killing anyone?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes. 108 people die each minute across the world. How could you be so thoughtless!!!
</sarcasm>

:)

But seriously though: if you've had your cleats positioned through a rather elaborate fitting session, you may not be keen on moving those cleats.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

rijndael

by rijndael

prendrefeu wrote:But seriously though: if you've had your cleats positioned through a rather elaborate fitting session, you may not be keen on moving those cleats.

Mark the edge of the cleat, on both sides and at the base, with a paint pen or silver sharpie.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

What happens to those marks when you shove your shoes in the oven?

I do take the point about not being able to press down with cleats fitted though, hadnt really thought that one through.

As an aside, these, Shimano R241B´s, are my third set of "heat moldables", and I find they are the first ones which are really "plastic" and can deform noticeably. Previously I had a great pair of the old Shimano 310s which my dog ate, then a pair of Bonts which Ive worn through the upper on a crank rub, and I found those two never really "Moulded" to my feet. Both were comfy, but not sure how much of a change vs when I first wore them..

The current pair are 1/2 size smaller and Ive found that pushing them out (ie with a couple of pairs of socks) is easier than the whole vacuum "shrinking" to fit which the shop did on the 310s.
Last edited by Leviathan on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rijndael

by rijndael

Leviathan wrote:What happens to those marks when you shove your shoes in the oven?

I've used those pens when marking up Kydex, which also goes in the oven, and it's fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Mmm, Kydex. Just added some custom molded Kydex to my collection. Very nice draw and retention without having to break in customer leather.