The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well eric I have many that never need truing. In fact none of my road wheels ever have.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

I wasn't questioning you or anyone else, just saying what my experience has been and a possible reason for it.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I have a strange issue with a wheel I've just built for a friend, wondering if anyone can shed light on it. Build is a Novatec hub, Archetype rim, Laser spokes with brass nipples. It all went together well, tensions are even etc and I stress relieved by vigorous spoke grabbing. However when I tap the wheel with my knuckle the rim makes a curious high frequency buzzing sound. I've made a video to try and demonstrate this:

http://youtu.be/sITHizbh0yA

(its not great quality, but you can hear it.)

There's no noise when I put a tyre and tube on as the vibration is dampened, but this bothers me as I've not experienced it before. Does it matter? Any comments?
Last edited by MajorMantra on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djay001

by djay001

i don't know if i'm the only one, but i can't see you video....

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Try the link now - something weird going on with it. Oh, and turn your volume up, the effect is subtle. :)

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Need advice...
Going to build some pave wheels soon.
Ambrosio Crono rims
DA 7800 hubs, 32H
Laser spokes front and rear NDS
Race spokes DS
brass nipples.
Rear wheel will be 3x both sides, but what about front lacing? 2x or 3x? My weight is 70kg (154lbs) with gear.
Is 3x wheel more rigid laterally and 2x gives more comfort?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

KLegaspi

by KLegaspi

This is probably going to be the biggest newbie question in this thread but...

I am planning to get some wheels built and I have an idea of what I want the set up to be.

- Pacenti SL23 Rims
- Campagnolo Record Hubs
- Sapim CX Ray Spokes
- DT Swiss Brass Nipples

My problem is I have a SRAM groupset and I've been researching on ways to be able to use the Campy hubs with a SRAM/Shimano cassette. I have been researching a lot on free hub bodies that are Campy compatible with SRAM/Shimano splines and I have found this:

http://www.glorycycles.com/fucafrbofors.html

And before I get hated on for the SRAMpagnolo or whatever it is, I picked the Campy Record hubs for a lot of reasons.

- Cheaper than DT240s/R45s
- Perform just as well, maybe better (From research.)
- Easy to service and maintain (From research.)
- Only slightly heavier than the DT240s/R45s
- I want a 32h/32h set up

If it performs just as well as those 2 highly acclaimed hubs, but cheaper, then why not? I am a broke college student who is trying to find the perfect set up for a good price.

As far as I can tell, this will work but I am not exactly sure. Can anyone confirm if this free hub body will work with the wheel build I have planned?

Thank you in advance for the patience. Sorry for being a noob.

KLabs

by KLabs

rainerhq wrote:Need advice...
Rear wheel will be 3x both sides, but what about front lacing? 2x or 3x? My weight is 70kg (154lbs) with gear.
Is 3x wheel more rigid laterally and 2x gives more comfort?

Hi rainerhq, actually 2x is more laterally stiffer and 3x gives more comfort and torque drive.
I would suggest, for your weight, 1x or 2x and radial would also be fine (if the hub can be laced radially).

thanks KL :)

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Thanks!
Can I get away with 2x on the rear also? Just want to be sure there will be no brake rub with Crono rim.
Started to calculate spokes and with 3x I need 302 and 300mm. Many shops do not offer over 296mm.
With 2x rear: 294/293. Shorter spokes=less flex?

EDIT: another idea. What about 2x NDS and 3x DS on rear wheel?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

A question regarding aluminum nipples...

Which brand's alu nipples are most recommended?

The only alu nipples I've used are CN's, some of which have more resistance during turning(I used liberal amount of anti-seize or grease), the quality of their threads seems to be sub par.

Is it best to use spokes and nipples from the same maker?

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

MajorMantra wrote:However when I tap the wheel with my knuckle the rim makes a curious high frequency buzzing sound. I've made a video to try and demonstrate this:

http://youtu.be/sITHizbh0yA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(its not great quality, but you can hear it.)

There's no noise when I put a tyre and tube on as the vibration is dampened, but this bothers me as I've not experienced it before. Does it matter? Any comments?

I've noticed similar sounds in wheels can sometimes simply be a bit of left over debris from drilling. Might be able to shake it out, but would do no harm to leave it in as well. "To do nothing is also a good solution."
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

The odd thing is there are no loose debris. My theory is there might be a slight void in the join which opens and closes as the rim resonates. It goes away with a tyre on and my friend is happy, so I've chosen not to worry about it.

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Hi guys!

I am about to dive in and build up the Tune Mag 170 that just arrived.

I am building into a 38mm Chinese carbon blank that I have previously been riding. All good there.

I have measured the ERD and get an average of 568mm. I measured every single place around the rim (24 hole rim, so 12 diametres measured. Took a while, but I wanted it to be perfect). Some places were 569mm and one place was 567.8mm so pretty good there.

Now, I have input all the figures into WheelProUK spoke calcultor and get the following for spokes...

275.2m on the left
270.3mm on the right.

Well, first of all, this will be a 2 cross wheel, on both DS and NDS. Also, I will be using Sapim CX Ray spokes, so given that Sapim only supply spokes in whole number lengths, would you think I could go for...

275mm on left
270mm on right

Which would be rounding down to the nearest whole number, or do I need to round UP and go for;

276mm left
271mm right

?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I will order the spokes the minute I am sure.

I seem to remember something in this thread with someone suggesting knocking 1mm off spoke lengths, or something, but this thread is so long now it is hard to find info!

Well, cheers for your help in advance!

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I am far from an expert, but .2mm is about 1/2 the thickness of this letter I. There is no way that could make a difference. If it had been a .8 or .9 mm value rounding up would make sense.

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Wow, speedy reply, thanks!

OK, so in your opinion, you are thinking I go with the rounded down lengths of; 275mm / 270mm ?

I was thinking the same, so thanks for the input.

I would be interested in hearing other opinions on this too; buying CX Ray spokes is expensive, and I want to get the correct lengths!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com