Panaracer R'air?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Anyone use or can comment on the Panaracer R'air?

I'm currently on Michelin Latex Aircomp on one bike and another has Vrestein Latex...

Curious to hear thoughts on the Panaracers...

made in Japan too!

redhed18

by redhed18

Several vendors make claims about the ability of these tubes to hold air...
Ironically Panaracer do not, but they actually don't say much at all!
http://www.panaracer.com/tubes.php#rair

The weight is ballpark what Conti SuperSonic butyl tubes weigh, maybe 5-10g more if their weight is accurate.
My experience with the SuperSonics (for comparison) is that they DO lose air, so if the Panaracers manage to avoid that... then that's very appealing. :)

I wouldn't normally point to a reseller for product info, but in this case since Panaracer themselves say so little...
some decent info here...

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pag ... 1&minor=31

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I've used them almost exclusively for four or five years. Best tubes made in my opinion. All the benefits of Latex and Butyl. No draw backs (other than availability and cost). I bought a years worth from the panaracer distributer a couple of years ago when they had completely dried up from normal sources. They have just recently shown up again at some online places (UK shops and Excel Sports in the US). Unfortunately, I haven't seen them in the 60mm valve version, which is what I use the most. I use the 45s too, and have stocked up of those. They do not loose air. They ride better and are more durable than Conti's and Michi's.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I've used them before, they hold air nicely, not as well as butyl though (but they ride nicer than butyl). They're a pain to mount, but most latex tubes are anyway. I stopped using them because you can't patch them easily (I'm stingy) :P
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

But they are butyl aren't they? Just thinner like Supersonics.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

@585 I believe they are butylized latex tubes (don't ask me what that means, I have no clue)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Not sure about the butylized latex part. My understanding was that they can be patched just like regular butyl tubes.

Panaracer blurb -

"The R’Air tube gives you all the ride advantages of latex with all the functionality of butyl. Patch it with a regular butyl patch kit. Try a set on you bicycle to understand why the feel and ride of latex rules."

BTW latex tubes can be patched. There's a thread on here about it -

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46692&start=0

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Ok I'm going to be a guinea pig and buy some...

as for latex tubes, I have never had luck patching them... I think because the tube expands/stretches so much and the patch doesn't like/want to stretch, so over time it starts to leak again...

jpanspac

by jpanspac

I'm using them now. They seem to be just like all the other butyl tubes I've used in the past. They hold air just as well and ride about the same. I don't know why people think these are latex or even partly latex. If you go to the Panaracer web site they don't claim the tubes have any latex at all in them.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

They seem like a superior grade of butyl to me. They have held air just like any butyl tube I've used, but they ride better than any other butyl tube I've used. I have never read anything on the Panaracer site that made me believe they were made of anything other than butyl.

(although, I've had a dismal success rate patching them, so I'd love to blame that on the fact that they are made of something else.). :lol:

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

jpanspac wrote:I don't know why people think these are latex or even partly latex. If you go to the Panaracer web site they don't claim the tubes have any latex at all in them.

In that case, they do *not* have all the advantages of latex...
formerly rruff...

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

WMW wrote:
jpanspac wrote:I don't know why people think these are latex or even partly latex. If you go to the Panaracer web site they don't claim the tubes have any latex at all in them.

In that case, they do *not* have all the advantages of latex...

Logical flaw "Post hoc ergo propter hoc". Just because they are not latex does not preclude them from having the advantages of latex.
Carbon frames have all of the advantages of aluminum frames.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

@rowdysluggins, have you successfully patched any of these tubes at all? I've tried patching them, but the patches always seem to come of after a month or so riding. This never happens to me with "normal" butyl tubes so I'm wondering if it's me or the tube

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I have successfully patched these tubes, but my success rate is probably < 50%. I'm not sure what my success rate would be on standard butyl tubes because I like these enough that they are what I ride (and have to patch). I definitely haven't developed a 100% patch technique even for standard butyl tubes, so I'm not sure what gives. They can be patched though. I know that, because I'm riding some now with patches on them. (and they still hold air as well as any butyl tubes I've used). I probably go from 110 psi to 80 psi in a week. I'll ride a couple days without even bothering to check pressure (I've never been able to do that on any latex tubes I've used).

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

rowdysluggins wrote:Logical flaw "Post hoc ergo propter hoc". Just because they are not latex does not preclude them from having the advantages of latex.
Carbon frames have all of the advantages of aluminum frames.

You wouldn't say that if you knew anything about tubes.
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com