Argonaut Cycles' new road bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

danwerle

by danwerle

My friend Ben Farver has been working on developing this frame for two years. I ride one of the last steel bicycles he made and am a proponent of his work. I'm excited for him and wanted to share the news of his new frame with the group here.

http://argonautcycles.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

Nice website,
certainly and awesome pedigree in steel.
Looks pretty unique to have a bike hand made from A-Z, not even using other's tubes or layups.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Very interesting design.

crashracer

by crashracer

Reading through the sales pitch I found the follow statement, "If you wanted custom sizing, you could go with tube-to-tube or wrapped carbon, cobbled together without regard for the true benefits of the material." I'm sure Crumpton, Calfee, other fine builders would fine offense to this insinuation that their craftwork is "cobbled together". It's rather cocky for a builder new to carbon scene to make such a judgement, particularly when the frames in questions are built like Treks. Well, Treks with the option to stuff more carbon in the chainstays built near a 50-foot automated plotters.
Attachments
Trek Madone OCLV in construction
Trek Madone OCLV in construction
twitergram photo of an Argonaut carbon frame in construction
twitergram photo of an Argonaut carbon frame in construction

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

To be fair Argonaut doesn´t make real monocoque frames.
Experimental Prototype

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

They have a decent logo, I wish them the best in their business aims.

The aesthetics of their frames are a matter of personal opinion. Their approach to frame building is not new, however: many other companies do that. One, in fact, excels at it (Rolo).

Personally, I would have preferred to see a website which is a bit more honest. While they say that they do certain things, by carrying photography which emphasizes shadowing, hiding details, and pumping up darkness, they are not lending themselves to an air of trust and confidence. Instead, it shows more of a play to hype over substance. If they change their presentation they may garner a bit more respect.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Their construction methods are quite similar to the ones Guru employs on their tri frames and used to employ on their Geneo frame. I've owned a Geneo and this method really does allow for custom geometry with a monocoque feel. I've also ridden tube to tube custom as well. It feels different. I won't say worse, I'll just say different.

spytech

by spytech

prendrefeu, i totally agree with you. i wish it was a bit more honest.

boolinwall wrote: I've owned a Geneo and this method really does allow for custom geometry with a monocoque feel. I've also ridden tube to tube custom as well. It feels different. I won't say worse, I'll just say different.

What does monocoque feel like? please elaborate. i know different bikes have different characteristics, but you can tell the difference in ride quality from tube to tube and monocoque. you should be or are a formula 1 or motogp driver.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

If you can't, perhaps you should go back to riding kids bikes.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Wait wut. Seriously?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

boolinwall wrote:If you can't, perhaps you should go back to riding kids bikes.

Is that when you started to feel the difference between monocoque and tube to tube, when you were a kid; is that what the father told you? because theirs a high probability that, that tube you were riding on, wasnt a bikes. :shock:

please name all the real full monocoque frames you have ridden. id like to know.