Epic strava whining

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

I use it purely to watch my own progression and use times taken only from my device ( happens to be chip as chips edge 200 ) I enjoy it fwiw but agree that too many segments will ruin it. Climbs and whole routes are what it seems to suit best imho. People who cheat on strava are sad and ultimately are only cheating themselves.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AaronKellogg

by AaronKellogg

It never ceases to amaze me how serious people take strava. It's social media. It's supposed to be fun.

djconnel

by djconnel

S-A: present tense :): Paris-Bordeaux (or Paris-Brest-Paris at one time) don't qualify. The 2008 criterium is interesting: I remember reading about that. I guess it's done.

There are still motor-paced races in 6-days.

Motor-paced racing is a very strange thing.

In any case, the argument "pack racing counts, so why shouldn't motor-pacing?" ignores plenty of precedent.

Rick

by Rick

Strava is a fun toy.
I keep track of my progress and like to compare to my team mates (who I know don't cheat) and also compare to the pros and others with incredible times and powers that I know some of them MUST be bogus. (Drive the course on a motorbike ?) :)

But if you take to too seriously; or seriously at all, it is just pathetic.

Strava bears no relation at all to real racing.

tranquilo

by tranquilo

AaronKellogg wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how serious people take strava. It's social media. It's supposed to be fun.

This.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

LouisN

by LouisN

Come to my place people, you'll get as many KOM's as you want.
No population, very few cyclists. Enter just about any segment, you're almost automatically KOM. Done :lol: .

Louis :)

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

It's interesting, in my neck of the woods, there are very few of the top end riders/races that actually use Strava and if they have, only a couple of times. There is one pro - Joe Cooper - who has most of, but not all of the KOMs around here. Joe is a great guy, awesome rider - reigning nation TT champ too, but there are some people faster than him on some climbs legit. I don't think anyone here has any probelms with pros on Strava.

I agree it's for fun, your own training comparison and entertainment. I haven't been using it as much lately though oddly enough. Kind of got over it a bit

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Strava is mostly a load of crap for the sportive brigade ;-)

How on earth can you compare times on a section if theyre ridden on different days and conditions?
Somebody going out in the middle of summer and riding for an hour is bound to be faster through a lot of parts than someone who has been out riding for 4 hours in the middle of winter, but the strava warriors seem to be very selective in their approach...

The only time i find it useful is when i've been racing and you can look and see where you've gained/lost time against your rivals on that particular day.
Official cafe stop tester

ave

by ave

>Strava bears no relation at all to real racing.
Last weekend I did a race with two fields. All the young guys in field A, and the masters (including me), seniors, women in field B.
With the help of Strava (and veloviewer, raceshape, my own tools) I can see how different the pace was on key points, could I have finished with the best in the Elite field, etc...

And many take Strava seriously without any real racing involved. Still I would not call them pathetic.
At least most of them don't take drugs to win a KOM, while quite a few "real racers" do.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

ave wrote:At least most of them don't take drugs to win a KOM, while quite a few "real racers" do.

You know that the majority of people who take performance enhancing drugs don't compete, quite often they take them for cosmetic reasons... or bragging rights. If not under the scrutiny of testing how would you ever know who on the gear and who's not?
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

ave

by ave

>You know that the majority of people who take performance enhancing drugs don't compete
Must be true, as only a minority of the whole population race "for real".

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Tapeworm wrote:
You know that the majority of people who take performance enhancing drugs don't compete, quite often they take them for cosmetic reasons... or bragging rights. If not under the scrutiny of testing how would you ever know who on the gear and who's not?

Those are going to be some expensive bragging rights. :smartass:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

CBJ

by CBJ

Riding last night I was thinking how winning on Strava is like becoming mayor of something on Foursquare. Useless and nobody cares. Well at least on Foursquare you can get lucky and get a free slice of pizza.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Then it's totally worth it. :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kbbpll

by kbbpll

I changed my gender and I can't even get a QOM.