Pictures of Colnagos

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I did not see "fake" EPS above because when I clicked on the link it was gone. However, I have had in my hands, a very fake EPS frame before and got to examine it quite closely. It was matte black, however the finish was not quite the same as an authentic frame. It was darker. That aside, I looked and felt inside the frame as much as I could. Here's what I noticed, comparing to a real one. The finish inside was extremely sloppy compared to a real one, with tube ends sticking out through the lugs versus a real one where it is not like that at all and tube ends sit flush as they are mitered to sit. And who knows what epoxy is being used to bond the whole thing together. The crown race was the split ring type, again something Colnago did not use on the EPS. Also, a real EPS has special "collapsible" metal cups pressed into both sides of the headtube. The fake had no metal cups, just a beveled carbon edge that the cheap bearings would drop into. And finally, at least I gave up looking after this one... a real EPS downtube has three longitudinal ribs inside the downtube which you can readily feel. I put my finger up through the headtube and into the downtube and there were no ribs whatsoever in the downtube. So there you have it. Fake is fake.

It's not often you see fake Colnagos (at least I haven't), probably because of the difficulties in getting hold of the carbon lugs and the shaped tubing. But they are out there as evidenced by the one I looked at. I would guess that it's much easier to fake molded carbon frames as once you have a fairly close mold you can lay up anything you want in there... and if you finish it off with a nice coat of paint it will look very good. Still, there's something about quality control that I'm willing to pay for.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bura

by bura

Yeah, the link is gone,but..
How about these?:
EPS ,C59,M 10 ...
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?Sea ... 0730110234
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

bura wrote:Yeah, the link is gone,but..
How about these?:
EPS ,C59,M 10 ...
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?Sea ... 0730110234" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What about them? They're fakes. Makes me mad.

bura

by bura

PSM, calm down.
Wanted to show that there are other links to fake Colnagos than the one listed.
Read my opinion about Ernesto's bikes in my previous post.
Don't know about your age and first Nago but owned a Master in the 80's.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

PSM

by PSM

bura wrote:PSM, calm down.
Wanted to show that there are other links to fake Colnagos than the one listed.
Read my opinion about Ernesto's bikes in my previous post.
Don't know about your age and first Nago but owned a Master in the 80's.

I'm 44. :)

bura

by bura

One reason more to calm down. :beerchug:
Kuota Kom Evo
SOLD

PSM

by PSM

Hate copys.

KvnP

by KvnP

Hi,

Was just checking as I couldn't really find any availability/pricing on that white EPS although I agree with you PSM, can't stand knockoffs.
Parlee Z3c
Independent Fabrication SSR // 953
Independent Fabrication Planet X
Knolly Chilcotin

PSM

by PSM

:thumbup:

FrederickPunter

by FrederickPunter

My commuter
Attachments
Export.JPG

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

One would assume Colnago Srl are aware of these knockoffs? I wonder why they don't do something about it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that, but surely all this crap floating about doesn't help the brand.

PSM

by PSM

Mockenrue wrote:One would assume Colnago Srl are aware of these knockoffs? I wonder why they don't do something about it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that, but surely all this crap floating about doesn't help the brand.

+1.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

agreed would have thought they would jump all over those fakes!
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Mockenrue wrote:One would assume Colnago Srl are aware of these knockoffs? I wonder why they don't do something about it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that, but surely all this crap floating about doesn't help the brand.

As any major fashion brand would tell you: it's very difficult to fight the knockoff market. Very, very difficult, and it takes a lot of resources to tackle the issue. Those same resources are better spent minimizing losses of new or existing product rather than pursuing fake productions after the fact.

The governments in which these factories exist have a record of placing very low priority on battling this internally, although it has somewhat improved over the past few years. When push comes to shove, these factories can continue to produce the knockoffs using time tables and production lines that are "not on the books" or "not on the floor"

Lately, again in the fashion world, the push has been to go after those who knowingly purchase the knockoffs instead, thereby hopefully deterring the consumer from giving the knockoff-producers a market to sell their items. For example, there is a law being suggested in NYC to heavily fine (for example, a $10,000 fine for purchase of a $20 knockoff of a $600 bag) any person owning or purchasing a fake marque. It will have to be proven in court of course that the person knowingly purchased a fake item, but that's another issue.

So that's why Colnago, Pinarello, others, have difficulty dealing with this stuff.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, what @Prendrefeu said. Plus, I don't think it's that big of a problem for Colnago, at least yet, given what I said about the difficulty of procuring the lugs and shaped tubes, etc. I looked at the site posted above just for kicks, and the "C59" they show is not even lugged tube construction. It's from a mold, and it doesn't even resemble a C59 short of some painted on "C59's". The downtube looks like the elliptical shape of a Cannondale down by the brazeon. It's laughable really. They take a molded frame and paint some "C59" logos on it and hope to sell it. If someone were to actually buy one of those I would think they deserve all the ridicule they would receive.

Pinarello, on the other hand, has been copied extensively and I believe they are trying to do something about it, and warn people on their website about fakes. I've seen and examined some of the fake Dogmas and at least they look the part, although the quality is all over the place so who knows what you're really getting.

Anyway, I actually forwarded some pics I took of the fake EPS to Colnago America quite a while ago, but whether they did anything about it or not I have no idea. Suspect it's just not high on their radar for now. For now, it's buyer beware I guess.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ