Colnago C59 61T Validation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

crossifino

by crossifino

Hello Guys,

I have ordered a C59 61 Traditional in INIT 2014 colours a few weeks back.

I am just trying to plan what stem I need and get the geometry correct.

After reading around and trying to get top secret info regarding fork rake, head tube angle and bb drop I have come up with this.

If there is anyone else who has a 61 T which could verify my measurements that would be ace :) !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

All you need for the stem length is seattube angle, toptube length and headtube angle (on the frame, anyway, obviously stem angle and bar choice).

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Sweet wheels.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Your lucky day. I have two traditional 61's and would be happy to help you out. My setup is pretty much exactly as your showing but your saddle height is significantly higher. I'd be happy to even jack up my saddle to your height and take some pics for you to give you an even better visual. It's clear from your cad drawing you've spent some time thinking about this. That's good. One thing of note is the headtube length in the Colnago geometry charts does not include the pressed in cups. On your 61 for example the actual headtube length (with cups pressed in) is really 202mm. Then you have the top cover which, if it comes with the acronis (?) is a bit different height than the previous years setups. Also, what bar, stem and saddle do you plan on using. Do you know what saddle setback (with your chosen saddle) you like. And do you know the saddle to handlebar drop you want. I have a -6 degree, 130mm 3t stem on one frame and a -8 degree 130 mm Deda stem on the other one.
The fork rake on the C59 fork is 43mm. Where did you get the actual head tube angle of 73.3 degrees? Just curious but it seems right. Same question re the bb drop? Also, does bike cad pop out a wheelbase figure in all that data. Again, just curious about bike cad and want to compare a few things with my actual measurements.
Presuming at this point you're really just trying to figure out things exactly, like how many spacers you'll want to use etc, if any? Not much left to really consider actually, given the details in your cad drawing. And the drawing looks like it assumes a standard outboard headset which of course is easy to compensate for.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LionelB

by LionelB

If the HT angle is the same as the C50 it is correct. I had a 61cm C50 for a while. But for the BB drop IIRC it's closer to 73mm.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

what did you use for that CAD drawing ?

BTW if someone is interested there is an Excel Sheet to help you on geometry comparations here

http://gearinches.com/blog/misc/bike-ge ... comparator
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

LionelB

by LionelB

this is a bikecad drawing

tinozee

by tinozee

Woah is the stack really 617mm? It looks like those headset cups in the pic are a little large.

Can someone tell me exact stack and reach for the 61 and 62 C59 trad?

crossifino

by crossifino

Thanks Colnago,

That would be ace if it is not too much trouble... I am 6'2 but I like to ride a smaller frame hence the high seat post. I have opted for the factory Colnago 350mm post with 20mm of setback. Traditional frame allows not running a street light pole as a seat post. :)

I currently have a Look 695 XXL running a 120mm stem with a 3T bars with a 83 mm reach in a 50mm sloping geometry.

So obviously going to a Traditional I am not 100% sure of how it relates, hence my drawings.

At the moment I have already procured a set of Deda Superleggera bars with have a 75mm reach.

Btw the DHL box it came in gross weight was 198g inclusive of packaging 44cm... I thought that was amusing.

What I might do tonight is measure my Look up from Handle bars to seat (SMP Forma) and see how that relates.

I believe I am on the cusp between a 130mm and a 120mm but the drop on the head tube is what I am worried about... I am looking at getting the Deda Superleggero 82 degree stem.

Thanks

Cross

crossifino

by crossifino

BTW I will keep updating the CAD with official numbers and post the link so that other 61T people out there have a reference point :)

I can also do a Look 695 one once I finish the Nag..

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, given what you've just said, I have a question. You are 6'2" and have a saddle height of 855mm? I thought you would be much taller than 6'2" with that kind of saddle height. As a reference point I am 6'1" and have what seems to be a relatively long inseam at 91cm. I have a saddle height of 810mm but that's to a straight edge across the top of the saddle. The dip actually sits me slightly lower and with a Selle Italia SLR which is fairly flat and firm that dip is only about 5mm at most. So to put apples to apples against your cad drawing, say about 805mm. That's a full 5cm below your saddle height. I'm just wondering if you have a relatively short torso at that height in which case the reach might be a bit much. Actually I'm just speculating. You could very well have very long arms or something. I'm going to assume you know what setup you're comfortable with for now. Tell you what I'll do. I'll jack up my saddle to 855mm and take a pic for you. Do you know how much saddle to bar drop you ride with? Because at an 85cm saddle height you're going to have a lot without resorting to a few spacers. Not that that's a bad thing, but your drawing doesn't seem to show much in the way of spacers. Fun exercise.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

crossifino

by crossifino

All arms and legs matey 192 cm.

I know for a fact that its 820mm BB to the Seat Rail + 35mm for the Selle SMP Forma which is the same set up across all my other bikes.

I am not too sure how many spacers I need but my look 695 C stem is sitting parallel. I hope to have the stem slammed on the frame but that depends on the total top tube height. I have good flexibility in my lower back.

Below is the link to the bike cad drawing I been working on

http://www.bikecad.ca/1374991483971?__u ... sr=(direct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=1883441

By the way I am curious how you found the traditional frame to climb with ? Is it more flexy than a slopping frame as people make it out to be ?

Regards

Cross

HakeemT

by HakeemT

crossifino wrote:All arms and legs matey 192 cm.

That's 6'4 (not 6'2)... so your saddle height now makes more sense.

crossifino

by crossifino

I have taken the following measurements not sure if they are the best way but this is how I was taught.

Tip of saddle to center of campagnolo hood 800

Center of stem to ground 90 degrees 965

By the way I know the height of my bike better than my own

tinozee

by tinozee

Calnago, can you confirm the exact stack and reach? Tx!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com