Kettle Cycles Carbon Rotors

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I doubt any future knock-offs would run true. That's an issue that takes alot of QC to get consistent, QC that others just don't care much about.

Kettle gets props in my book for gettin off his butt and: (a) actually making a new product, (b) advancing the technology.

But now I want my carbon monoblok caliper! :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Who is using these with Formula R1's?

Do you experience any noise?

On downhill runs they are fine, but for riding along and modulating speed the noise is unbearable...

I am using Formula alloy backed pads at the moment...what is anyone else using?

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

Hi Chris,

I'm iusing the original organic pads that went with the R1s. The brake howls with these rotors, but oly right before the stop, but I don't think it's loud enough, nor I get it too often to bother me.

crohnsy

by crohnsy

After some time riding on my new rotors I have to say I am quite impressed.. I went from Avid Elixir CR 7"/6" to new Avid X0 6"/6" with the Kettle rotors. They took a short time to get used to the way the power is used with the rotor. I lost that initial "grab" but the rotors/pads retained the quick stopping abilities. It still easy to look the rear up and if I try I can still "stoppie" with my front wheel/brake.

All in all I am impressed after being cautious about the rotors and how they would react..

sfer1

by sfer1

I was on the third Kickstarter batch.

Upon inspection, I noticed that one of the rotors I received had a flaw on the braking surface near the edge. It looked like it was missing a layer there. It was very noticeable at plain sight and I could clearly feel it when I ran my finger over it. I don't understand how their quality control could have missed something like this.

Considering their rotors are C-processed now, I asked them if I had to return both my rotors if I wanted them to perform identically? Their answer was yes.

I returned the rotors by Registered Airmail out of my own pocket. I live in Argentina, so postage wasn't cheap. Tracking shows my package was delivered on May 28.

They promised they would send me the replacements on June 10, but they didn't do it.

After that, they didn't reply to any of my following messages.

It's been two months since they received my rotors and it seems they've decided to keep them (and my money).

I'm considering reporting them to Kickstarter and Amazon.

Anyone who's thinking about getting their rotors should avoid them like the plague.

devinci

by devinci

that's not cool. I would not buy such a product, after reading such an experience.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Thanks for the heads up sfer1. Sad how some companies are obsessed with money...

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

My impression is that the money-obsession comment is not accurate. I bought some rotors post-kickstarter, got them on schedule (2 weeks later or so), but then sent them back for the C-processing treatment in late April. I've been waiting ever since, and yes they do have my money, and I could be wrong about all this.... but based on the couple of phone conversations I've had with them (they've been good about either answering, or returning my calls the same day), it seems like the issue really is with making the product, and enough of it. They raised something like $60k on Kickstarter, so that's 1000 rotors just there... if their manufacturing is having problems, there's no way they can keep everyone happy. I think they're really a bit stuck here, unable to afford to refund people, but having to make people wait weeks/months for product because of manufacturing issues (they said that the first sets of C-processed ones weren't being ground sufficiently well). I see their offer of free pads to be a good attempt to make amends for the big delay, and if the rotors and pads ever show up I'll have no hard feelings about it... "if" being the operative word of course.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

In my eyes, if a company isn't responding quickly to warranty matters, at least by letting their customers know that they're working on the case, they are thinking more about making money than nursing their customers.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

To some extent I agree with you Marsbar, hence my comment that they did return my calls and let me know they were working on things. They don't have rotors yet and they can't afford to give refunds to everyone... personally, as someone waiting for rotors (not just 2, but 6 - I ordered for a couple friends), I'd prefer they spent their time working on addressing that situation (ie getting the product out) rather than on answering every email or online post about them. But if I hadn't already jumped in, I'd definitely wait to see how it all plays out before purchasing, as others have said.

mpower

by mpower

This is just another half baked product from a failed company. Better stay out.

jooo

by jooo

Is anyone having a positive experience with the product? There seemed to be a few ok responses to the rotors but those now seem to be drowned out with fairly negative reviews :|

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Originally I got on with them pretty well but now riding has been super wet /muddy so my front rotor which wasn't true but didn't rub when dry now rubs like crazy and I'm having to send it back for warranty. Now time to send it back and go back to a standard rotor... I suppose then I will have to buy a new set of pads to keep things going so maybe I will find another use for it... Hard to say at this point..

Rey

by Rey

they are just always out of stock ...

they will reply..but not too fast...even me... dealer for china....

about truing, we have experienced the necessity of following the installation instruction.

i even recommend my client to add spacer for the bolt . I believe the bolt can be srewed better with better torque.

kettlecycles told me they have checked about the flatness for every rotor..

they always delay , claimed becoz of manufacturer.. last time ...2 months..
wish me good luck ....60pcs for the next shipppment...

EvoUltimate

by EvoUltimate

Surprisingly, i experienced a similar issue with them a few months ago. I initially bought 4 rotors but returned 2 because they weren't true and rub like crazy. It took a little over 2 months to get a refund from them and didn't always reply to my emails but when they did it it took about 2 weeks. I'm just glad that i got my money back!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com